Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card transactions.

Options
  • 15-03-2013 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

So I've had my Laser (now visa debit) card for 6 months now and every POS/ATM transaction I've done has shown up on my online banking within minute, but in the last 2 nights (Wednesday & Thursday) I've visited McDonald's after work with workmates and paid with my debit card (1st time by pin, and the 2nd time it was contactless. Neither of these transactions have shown up yet.

I've made 3 POS purchase today and used the ATM to get money and all of these transactions are showing.

Have I ended up getting free food from McDonalds or is the transaction just taking an abnormally long time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Money should be debited by the open of business the next morning. 09:00-18:00 money is automatically debited. Any times outside of those and the transaction can take longer. (Up to 5 working days).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I must say that i have noticed the same situation in McDonalds when paying via contactless payment, however when you use your pin there my balance is updated immediately.

I have never paid via contactless anywhere but Micky D's so i dont know if the delay related to the method of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevejcraven

Cheers for the replies folks. McDonald's now appear to have taken the 1st payment, I imagine the 2nd will appear on my online banking soon enough. Hopefully they improve their system so that it updates quicker than 2 and a half days later in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've a similar situation now. I thought I was imagining it but it has defo happened a second time. Used debit card as always to pay for groceries in supermarket. My UB balance reflected this online 3/4 days later the balance went back up and no transaction appeared. I shopped there again last Thursday and this morning again my online balance has gone back up. It has always taken this supermarket a good few days to show up on my transactions but the first one is a few weeks back ( I think anyway its so confusing now with balance going down and up) .
    Has anyone had a similar issue lately with UB or Joyce's supermarket ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^When you use your card, the transaction amount is out on hold for 7 days. If the vendor hasn't collected it by then, it will return to your available balance. The vendor does, however, have a year to collect the funds so don't be surprised if it comes out at a later date.

• Advertisement

^^When you use your card, the transaction amount is out on hold for 7 days. If the vendor hasn't collected it by then, it will return to your available balance. The vendor does, however, have a year to collect the funds so don't be surprised if it comes out at a later date.
    Thanks. I'll have to try pay by cash in there anymore so. It's very annoying . It's only happened since end of June really

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I've had this happen with Aldi. With AIB you can see your pending transactions straight away, but when I use my visa debit card in Aldi, it doesn't show as pending at all, and takes a few days to show up on my statement, plus it doesn't take the transaction into account in my available funds. This is the only place I've noticed this happen with. Can be confusing and make me think I've more money than I thought I did!
    I has put me off using my card in Aldi due to it.

One from the 29th June was taken out today

All transactions were taken out in the early hours of Thursday morning. Luckily that's when my wages went in . Or so I thought.
    This morning I see charges on my account. 4.44 for all 6 of the transactions . I am sooooooo annoyed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

for the first time I've noticed this on the pending transactions section of my online banking with AIB:

"Please note there may be debit card transactions that do not appear on this list where they have not yet been advised to us due to the nature in which the retailer / merchant processes debit card transactions."

not sure when that was put up on their page, but I only spotted it today!

• Advertisement
Advertisement