Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile call routing using VOIP phones

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Cool, give me a week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just a thought ...... you use up to 2,000 minutes mobile calls per month ..... and the cheapest you can get is apparently €30 per month unlimited use.

On my home set up I use FreeVOIPdeal at present for outgoing calls.
    When I make a payment on account I get 3 or 4 months free landline calls to most of EU, Aus, US etc, and calls to Irish mobiles are charged at 1 cent per minute or part of a minute.

I am unsure, but would expect it must be possible to find similar or better rates for a guaranteed use such as your business.

All of this is pointing to me questioning whether or not you need the 3G set up for outgoing mobile calls, or not.

The set up would be much simpler if it was not needed ...... I like the KISS principle :D

Maybe I am forgetting some aspect of your requirements that make the 3G necessary .......

...... just thinking out loud .......

Oh, BTW ..... I am looking forward to Mr.G's thread and lomb's write up if he goes ahead with the proposed set up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Oh, BTW ..... I am looking forward to Mr.G's thread and lomb's write up if he goes ahead with the proposed set up.

If you want to help with a how-to on your Draytek set up (If I'm not mistaken?) it would be much appreciated. Plan is to create a sticky with some how-tos all in one place with links to other sites and threads :).

Heya, sure you are right to question it. I have never considered an alternative. However standard voip providers like Goldfish, Magnet? and the others make their money out of mobile. If you can show me a deal for 30e a month and 2000 minutes Im willing to listen.
    It doesn't seem like it will take anything other than a box running Linux (raspberry pi), 1 3g dongle, freepbx installed and the system set to send outbound 08xxx calls to the 3g landline to Goldfish and line 2 set to Goldfish if the 3g is busy. It doesn't seem much to set up from what I can see.
    The other possibility is find a cheap VOIP provider for outbound calls, like freevoip but whats the setup involved here? The other thing is what happens if I go in someday and the freevoip provider has closed the outbounds wont work without reconfig. I now have 4 voip phones on the same desk connected to the same Goldfish account and receiving inbound calls from a single number.
    Absolutely fire away with the draytek setup, how yours works what its designed to do first and foremost. Is it for LCR or for something else. I know in PM you said you didn't use 3g so Im guessing you route calls using this router to cheaper voip providers like freevoip?
    Whats the call clarity like, and how long have they been around for? Cheers

Just a thought ...... you use up to 2,000 minutes mobile calls per month ..... and the cheapest you can get is apparentlanyy €30 per month unlimited use.

On my home set up I use FreeVOIPdeal at present for outgoing calls.
    When I make a payment on account I get 3 or 4 months free landline calls to most of EU, Aus, US etc, and calls to Irish mobiles are charged at 1 cent per minute or part of a minute.

I am unsure, but would expect it must be possible to find similar or better rates for a guaranteed use such as your business.

All of this is pointing to me questioning whether or not you need the 3G set up for outgoing mobile calls, or not.

The set up would be much simpler if it was not needed ...... I like the KISS principle :D

Maybe I am forgetting some aspect of your requirements that make the 3G necessary .......

...... just thinking out loud .......

@lomb

I would not suggest FreeVOIPdeal for business use ... nor indeed any provider from that group, unless they specifically do business offers. I am using a personal calling 'plan' which has limitations such as acceptable usage.

They are down to a price ...... but I have to admit I have not suffered from call quality problems.
    The only thing I noticed was a period when the first few seconds were echo prone, but this seems to have disappeared.

My phone use this year has also dropped significantly (personal circumstances) ... so much so, that some days it is only used for one or two calls.
    Soon I should be able to do without :)

Regarding LCR ... I used FreeVOIPDeal as the default for all calls, after adding them to my multiple accounts, as I could get no better prices for any of my usual calls from any other provider.
    Previously I had three other provider accounts and used those for the different calls based on charges.
    Last year that all went ..... or almost all.

My 'suspicion', that prompted the previous post, was that there is likely some provider with a similar type for-business plan ...... no doubt a bit more costly, but somewhat on the same lines.

If one sets up a FreeVOIPDeal personal account, lodges a minimum of €10 +VAT, that account has free calls to a large range of landlines worldwide for a period of 120 days, and the €10 is used to pay for calls to Irish mobiles at a rate of 1c per minute or part of a minute ..... equivalent to 1000 minutes or part of a min ..... and to pay for otherwise non-free landline calls and foreign mobiles at their respective rates; Freevoipdeal are apparently making some profit else they would not still exist.
    How much more costly it might be for a similar business plan is unknown to me but I thought it might be worth your while investigating if such plans exist from any provider.

So, in summary, I would not suggest the likes of FreeVOIPdeal for any business ..... in fact I believe they specifically say their service is for personal use.

Nonetheless, if they continue to operate with this scheme, then it must be somewhat successful, which lead me to suspect that a very low call-cost business plan might be available from some provider, which would fit your needs.

On the other hand, as the capital cost of your proposed setup using 3G is small, if an option of using VOIP only, arises in the future, it would be a small adjustment, and little lost, to reconfigure and maybe only use the 3G as a fail-over.

It would seem you are better "covered" by the proposed scheme ...... but I would, in your position, continue to monitor what becomes available.
    Prices are still dropping for such services, and more suitable 'plans' are being offered, particularly when new providers enter the market.

Regarding my own use of the Draytek .... because it has the possibility of having 6 different accounts I was able to 'play about' quite a bit .... and the 'quick dial' phone book, allowed me to use SIP addresses allocated to quick dial numbers, so the SIP accounts could be dialled from an ordinary desk phone.
    In addition the Draytek is capable of doing direct-to-IP SIP calling (providing the receiver of the call is also capable), which I used a lot for direct access to some people without going through any provider.

I have over the years made full use of the multiple accounts function in the Draytek ... even to the point of adding a free SIP account for a period of some months to communicate about a particular project.

We must remember, when I got this router it was a long time ago in the development of such devices, so it is very much past its design time and newer much better devices are no doubt available.
    There was little or nothing comparable that I could find at the time, at anything close to its price range.
    All its 'competitors' appeared to be for large industry use and not micro business use, and priced accordingly.

Anyway that's all history.

I can only suggest you keep a close watch on what becomes available in the way of 'plans' for outgoing calls because the ground shifts daily ;)

sorry for being so verbose :(

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that. There are quite a few voip providers around but I dont see any business grade ones for 3g sim cost PAYG plans.
    3G is like 15 euros for unlimited mobile for a month so with v good call quality. I cant see many downsides to it. Ive bought the Raspberry and have a 3g modem so Im nearly there. Ive talked the brother into configuring freepbx on it .
    Il be back in a week or so to update.

Mr. G wrote: »
    If you want to help with a how-to on your Draytek set up (If I'm not mistaken?) it would be much appreciated. Plan is to create a sticky with some how-tos all in one place with links to other sites and threads :).

Will do if I can be of assistance ... PM me if you wish ;)

Done :). Thanks

Right the Rasberry pi has arrived and Ive connected the HDMI output to the Bigscreen tv and attached a mouse to the usb connector on it. Im installing Rasbian onto the SD card , I presume this is Linux optimised for the Rasberry.

Im also downloading Rasbpbx from Asterix 11.6/ FreePBX 2.11 as a zip file to my windows computer. Should I be downloading it on the SD instead from a web browser in Rasberry or can I put this onto a USB stick and insert it into the usb port of the Rasberry and install it?

The Ubuntu wiki turns up a few things but unsure of relevancy.

Should I expand filesystem to let SD card storage be available to OS, Enable boot to desktop or scratch or command line. Persumably I can use a USB drive to transfer the Asterix to the Pi so can expand the SD to be available to the OS. Cheers.

lomb wrote: »
    Right the Rasberry pi has arrived and Ive connected the HDMI output to the Bigscreen tv and attached a mouse to the usb connector on it. Im installing Rasbian onto the SD card , I presume this is Linux optimised for the Rasberry.

Im also downloading Rasbpbx from Asterix 11.6/ FreePBX 2.11 as a zip file to my windows computer. Should I be downloading it on the SD Card instead from a web browser in Rasberry or can I put this onto a USB stick and insert it into the usb port of the Rasberry and install it?

You should download it to your computer using a web browser and write the ISO to the SD card. As far as I know you can't boot off a USB stick with a Raspberry PI. When it starts, the Raspberry PI will boot off the SD Card.
    The Ubuntu wiki turns up a few things but unsure of relevancy.

Should I expand filesystem to let SD card storage be available to OS, Enable boot to desktop or scratch or command line. Persumably I can use a USB drive to transfer the Asterix to the Pi so can expand the SD to be available to the OS. Cheers.

The SD Card should have at least 4GB of space, I have a 16GB SD Card which works fine. An 8GB one should be fine.

Using an SD Adapter connect the SD card to your PC, format the SD Card, write the ISO to the SD Card and insert the SD Card into the Raspberry PI. It will boot off it as mentioned above. It does not have a graphical user interface as such, but there is a web gui (FreePBX). The command line should be fine really, it's not as if you will be doing much with it. I have it plugged in and connected to a network switch. I installed it using a HDMI cable to a television but once it was installed I moved it.

It will run everything with you when you boot it with the SD card. The SD Card stays in the device once it is installed.

Make sure you set up a static ip address on it after installing.

Shout if you have any other questions.

• Advertisement

You should download it to your computer using a web browser and write the ISO to the SD card. As far as I know you can't boot off a USB stick with a Raspberry PI. When it starts, the Raspberry PI will boot off the SD Card.

Yes, the OS needs to boot off the SD card ...... the Pi can use the USB stick for storage and as such is probably considerably faster at writing & reading than using the SD card.

If there is an option in the setup to expand the filesystem to the full size of the SD card, then I would be inclined to use that to give the greatest amount of space you can to your install.

Im using this opportunity to read up on Linux history and basics and will get the kids books for the Pi as it seems to be interesting. If a 12 year old can do it and all that. Ive yet to draft in my brother who has Linux experiance , used to use it on his desktop for a while. I wanted to do it myself if possible.

However in the mean time not getting you guys. The Pi has installed Rasbian Linux off the SD card (I persume a protected area) that came with it. It is now asking me to expand the OS to use the entire SD and to this I will select yes I get that.
    However why would I want Pi to boot off Asterix? Asterix is a program no , so needs to be installed like a program on a USB stick I would think from within a Linux installed Pi.
    Booting off an iso on the Linux SD isnt going to work is it or am I missing something? Cheers

Im using this opportunity to read up on Linux history and basics and will get the kids books for the Pi as it seems to be interesting. If a 12 year old can do it and all that. Ive yet to draft in my brother who has Linux experiance , used to use it on his desktop for a while. I wanted to do it myself if possible.

However in the mean time not getting you guys. The Pi has installed Rasbian Linux off the SD card (I persume a protected area) that came with it. It is now asking me to expand the OS to use the entire SD and to this I will select yes I get that.
    However why would I want Pi to boot off Asterix? Asterix is a program no , so needs to be installed like a program on a USB stick I would think from within a Linux installed Pi.
    Booting off an iso on the Linux SD isnt going to work is it or am I missing something? Cheers

I think you're overcomplicating things smile.png.

If you install the operating system on the SD Card onto the Raspberry PI, everything you need for a phone system will be installed. Asterisk is part of the distro, it is a program but if you have successfully installed Raspbian just type 'raspbx' into your web browser or navigate to the ip address of the Raspberry PI and set up your system through FreePBX. At this point you can just use a SSH client like PuTTY and leave it plugged in beside the network switch.

Once you've written the ISO to the SD Card and inserted it into the slot, the Raspberry PI will recognise that you have inserted a new SD Card and it will boot of that. All storage by default is on the SD Card itself, like it's "hard drive". You can insert and mount a USB is you wish but if you're not recording much I wouldn't bother.

Once you have everything going be sure to back it up and install Fail2Ban to help protect your pbx from getting hacked (everytime you login you will see a list of commands)

If you have the 2014 version this might help if you're having trouble

http://sourceforge.net/p/raspbx/discussion/bugreports/thread/afff964e/?limit=50#1713

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Out of curiousity - Assuming the broadband pipe is adequate, how many simultaneous calls could a Pi handle?

malachy47 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity - Assuming the broadband pipe is adequate, how many simultaneous calls could a Pi handle?

Around 10. Anything more than that would be pushing it. For such a small device, with a low spec it delivers good results. I have got 5 concurrent calls working without any problems :)

Obviously if you are going to use encryption or G729 compression you're not going to get as many concurrent calls.

Advertisement