Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day Festival 5k (16th March)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

First time running this event and first road race of the year for me. I used to run the MSB Paddy's Day 4 miler in the park every year, a great way to kick off Paddy's day and relieve any guilt of sitting in a pub sucking down pints :-)

When they moved it off the day itself and into town I must admit I kinda took the hump and let it be.

Years later I thought I'd give it a crack. Got to say I loved it. A brilliant and interesting route and a fast course. Knocked 25 seconds off a PB that has been stubbornly resisting me for 6 years. So I'm a convert.

Well organised guys and cheers to Championchip who got a whiny text from me after I got my texted time, not realising that was gun time. Apologies for that, should have known better! :rolleyes:

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 22 VAGABOND7

Great Race as usual from metro - one of my fav 5k of the year. But did anyone else think the first 1k marker was a good bit out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

VAGABOND7 wrote: »
    Great Race as usual from metro - one of my fav 5k of the year. But did anyone else think the first 1k marker was a good bit out ?

haha you better believe it.. I was gutted when I saw my split, felt like stepping off the course. :eek:

And I missed the 2K and 3K markers so I had no real idea of my time until I crossed. (I saw the 4K but reckoned my hypoxic brain wouldn't be able to work out dividing my split by 3 so I didn't look.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pad-cam

photos from patricks race http://www.flickr.com/photos/76302773@N04/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 VAGABOND7

Glad to here I was not the only one as I was a way down on my first split... was contemplating stopping my watch jogging back to the start line and having another crack at it !!!!

Its a shame as a 5k race is a tough one mentally, without having the k markers in the wrong place people to mess with your head. Aside from that I still enjoyed running the streets of a car free Dublin....makes a nice change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Loved the race, and have been doing this one for the last 4 years.

Got a shiny new PB for my efforts, despite starting way to far back from the start line.

Also kind of cool doing a warm up (Full lap of the green) with the roads closed. Nice running down the middle of the deserted road...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

There's a lot of 5k/10k races on around St Patricks day, so that'll detract from the crowd.
    That said, it's a well run event in its 8th year and its only my 1st yr running it, so maybe advertising needs to be bumbed up??

Park run might take a few runners from it, but I wouldn't say too many. You can do a park run every week, but there's not too many times u get to run around empty Dublin streets!

Was this reincarnated - I can remember running a 5k on Paddy's Day around town - maybe 16 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was this reincarnated - I can remember running a 5k on Paddy's Day around town - maybe 16 years ago.

Yes I think so but fell away and was then moved into the Phoenix park

more pictures added

• Advertisement
Advertisement