Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router-Modem pass through

• 15-03-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭

Signed up with Smart and they issue you with a modem-router called a technicolour tg582n. Would it be possible to use it just as a modem and then use my own router? I had a look through the config but it doesnt seem possible to bridge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Would you have to change the settings to use another router. I use a Belkin router along with the Eircom netopia one and I just have one plugged into the other and I have the choice of connecting to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

pbarr wrote: »
    Would you have to change the settings to use another router. I use a Belkin router along with the Eircom netopia one and I just have one plugged into the other and I have the choice of connecting to either.
    That slows down you cnnction and you at double nating which causes problems of its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

I contacted Smart support about bridging their technicolor router and their solution was to just plug it to my own router, this couldn't be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

That slows down you cnnction and you at double nating which causes problems of its own.

It doesn't slow mine down. I don't have any problems with double nating either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You could

disable the wireless
    disable DHCP (not really required)
    Assign your routers wan port a static IP on the smart modems lan range
    Set up DMZ on smart modem pointing to the your router.

I'm not certain that it would work, but i think it should. Should stop the double natting

• Advertisement
Advertisement