Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Room

Options
  • 15-03-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a nice spare room in the house with no windows that I was thinking of turning into a gun room. Two of the walls are solid and there are two roofs on in, a flat torch on felt roof that was always there and a new slate roof that was put just over it. I wanted to know if anyone has any idea of the minimum requirements or specifications for a gun room as I cannot find them anywhere.

Thanks guys, a strange question I know but would love to have my own little gun "cave" where I can go to relax......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Your best bet would be to talk to your crime prevention officer. I remember it being something like min 12.7cm steel reinforced the whole way around with a steel door etc... I can't really remember though. I'll have a look for where i saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

SilentD wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a nice spare room in the house with no windows that I was thinking of turning into a gun room. Two of the walls are solid and there are two roofs on in, a flat torch on felt roof that was always there and a new slate roof that was put just over it. I wanted to know if anyone has any idea of the minimum requirements or specifications for a gun room as I cannot find them anywhere.

Thanks guys, a strange question I know but would love to have my own little gun "cave" where I can go to relax......

Do you mean the whole room would be used a a gun safe. or your den so to speak with a gun safe inside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sure it's not 12.7mm as in .5 inch ? Modern battle tanks haven't even got steel plating that thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Not steel plate, the thickness of the reinforced concrete walls and roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

With you now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SilentD

Juice - Thanks for that info. I will drop into have a chat with the local FO about it.

Deerhunter - I want the whole room to be the gun safe effectively. So I can have my guns in an open but secure area. And it will be all secure and only I can access it:D:D:D:D:D;);););)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Would have to be to the same spec as a dealer's strong room I'd imagine. The regs for that require reinforced concrete all around as Juice said.

Sparks or Cass or maybe it was someone else put up a PDF of the building regulations dealers have to meet a while ago..I can't find it now, someone else might have it.

~~

Found it but it's for the storage of firearms and ammunition at a range but it might give you an idea of what they want from a strong room.

Pg. 13 here: Ranges SI

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

9" walls , concrete roof ,steel door alarmed with pir's and vibration sensors GSM alarm etc did it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SilentD

Blay - Thanks for that, it goes into a fair bit of detail on the requirements. I meet the criteria for two of the walls and the other two I had to build anyway so not a problem. The roof might be a problem though so I will see what the FO thinks.

feartuath - I have the alarm and monitoring ok. I even have sourced the door from the UK. The roof is my only issue as I can't remove the outside slate roof so I will have to see what my options are.

Again thanks to everyone for your help. It's great to see people so willing to help on this site, a true testiment to the type of people in the shooting community:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Go to the DOJ website and find the forms for a firearms dealers application.The specs for a safe room are in there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement