Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colours Match/Week

Options
  • 15-03-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭

I'm a former Trinity student and now I've returned to Uni this year at UCD. One thing that always annoyed me about the two big Dublin colleges was the lack of any meaningful large college events. Yes Dublin is a big city but neither have really ever put their stamp on the city for a week or day of events involving all the students.

From what I gather the Rugby colours match used to be a big enough deal but these days you might get a couple of thousand at it. I'm not sure why it has gone backwards. Why won't sabbatical officers ever look at joining up with their Trinity counterparts to get a Colours week going. You could have the rugby/GAA and other sports as well as things like debating between the colleges and nights out in between. There's very little "Pride" in peoples University going around. UCD has the best sports teams in Ireland but outside of the competitors themselves, nobody on campus cares. Debating is strong in both colleges as well as drama ect. This is a real shame.

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for sabbatical officers and the colleges themselves to organise something like this. Most of the Sabats in their manifestos over the years promised the most ridiculous things but never something which in my opinion wouldn't be that difficult to get going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It was on about 3 weeks ago in the bowl. In the past it was always on in Donnybrook on Friday night for about 5 years. I went about 2 years ago and it was on on a Saturday in Donnybrook and there was no more than 1000 there. Back in the amateur days of rugby in the 1980s the game was played in Lansdowne and attracted a good few thousand.

Ireland doesn't really have a varsity sports culture like in America unfortunately. I think it would do it a lot of good we had a bit more pride in our educational institutions we attend. I was in Madison, Wisconsin last summer and the whole town - not just the students would be seen supporting the college, wearing college sports gear and have bumper stickers. I'm not saying we go down that road in Ireland but it would be nice to have a better attachment towards colleges than we do now.

Tbh I don't think the SU can do anything about it, its more of an Irish thing and not something they can solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

It was on about 3 weeks ago in the bowl. In the past it was always on in Donnybrook on Friday night for about 5 years. I went about 2 years ago and it was on on a Saturday in Donnybrook and there was no more than 1000 there. Back in the amateur days of rugby in the 1980s the game was played in Lansdowne and attracted a good few thousand.

Ireland doesn't really have a varsity sports culture like in America unfortunately. I think it would do it a lot of good we had a bit more pride in our educational institutions we attend. I was in Madison, Wisconsin last summer and the whole town - not just the students would be seen supporting the college, wearing college sports gear and have bumper stickers. I'm not saying we go down that road in Ireland but it would be nice to have a better attachment towards colleges than we do now.

Tbh I don't think the SU can do anything about it, its more of an Irish thing and not something they can solve.

There is a natural and friendly rivalry there between UCD and Trinity though in fairness. I do agree about the lack of Varisty culture but you never see anyone really try to get something going.

UCD Sport is disconnected from the non participatory student body and something has to bridge that gap. I think it would be a decent thing for a Sabat with some ambition to try and get going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's amazing the sports rivalry that exists at secondary school level, such as the schools rugby cups, the atmosphere and attendance of those games, strange how that doesn't carry over into university. It's a shame really, I like the idea of having a big varsity week in Dublin with a UCD vs Trinity festivle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It's amazing the sports rivalry that exists at secondary school level, such as the schools rugby cups, the atmosphere and attendance of those games, strange how that doesn't carry over into university.

As much as I agree, the final for the SCT attracts some of the largest Garda and First Aid cover for what is a relatively small event. The rivalry can be a little too heated and ever more so if alcohol is involved. There is a consistent small minority in Ireland that can get all too heated over sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

In my 22 years of going to schools games, I've never once witnessed violence. Perhaps in the nightclubs on a saturday night when rival schools meet whilst drunk, not sure that still goes on, but in terms of match day, never seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Fights between UCD and Trinity students, goodness gracious.:rolleyes: UCDSU and Trinity SU both already put on potential car crash events in the form of the annual Balls which are really just a celebration of alcohol.

A colours week has the potential to link a celebration of athletic effort, academic and social. UCD is a wonderful collection of parts but is never properly put forward as a proper unit. Everyone sticks to their own and there is no pride in UCD winning the Colours match or a UCD student winning the Irish Times Debating outside of the respective parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

themont85 wrote: »

A colours week has the potential to link a celebration of athletic effort, academic and social. UCD is a wonderful collection of parts but is never properly put forward as a proper unit. Everyone sticks to their own and there is no pride in UCD winning the Colours match or a UCD student winning the Irish Times Debating outside of the respective parts.

I think that's more of a cultural thing more than anything. Unlike America, once you leave college people don't care where you went. The most I've ever got was 'Ah I/your man/my brother went to UCD' While I agree a colors tournament would be a good idea who organises it? When is a mutually agreeable time? And who, most importantly, pays for it? Personally I have no involvement with UCD sport even though I take part in athletics outside of college. I wouldn't want my money spent on what is basically an advertising week.

Advertisement