Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Ignorance

Options
  • 15-03-2013 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Was waiting to get on a 207 at the top of Patrick St tonight. There was already a 205 at the stop and the 207 tried to pull in behind, but couldn't.

There was also an '01 Audi parked at the bottom of the stop, preventing the 207 from pulling in completely.

Bus driver tried to get the Audi to move from the stop, but the car wouldn't move. So the bus driver got out, and gave the Audi driver (smartly dressed young woman) what for.

The reason? There was a lady in a wheelchair who wanted to get on the bus, but couldn't as the bus could not pull into the stop.

Guess what the driver did? He made the Audi driver get out of her car and apologise to the lady in the wheelchair!

Fair play to the man. And shame on the ignorant ***** for being too selfish and lazy to find somewhere to park properly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Motorist rudeness and driving standards in general are atrocious. I was driving the back roads to Blarney yesterday and was heading for the ditch twice when meeting other cars on bends who'd their inside wheel a good two feet across the white line.

Apart from being rear-ended twice I was in one accident where the guy immediately denied responsibility - he cut the corner and I couldn't avoid him. I rang the GF and she ran down with a camera and took a load of photos. Ended up costing him €700 and if he'd been a gent about it I would have let him fix the bumper himself (couldn't give a **** about my car).

Dangerous idiots. I think I'll get one of those dash-cams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

People have neither patience nor manners these days. No-one wants to give way, especially female drivers, and I speak as a female. Seems a lot of lady drivers think that they dare not stop the car once they're moving, can only drive in a straight line and never think to pull over to let other cars through!

Not much in the way of thanks either.

I was walking over the Christy Ring bridge this afternoon. At the lights, there is a right-hand filter for cars to turn into Shandon St. As you know, the lights aren't green for long. There was a learner in the first car in the RH lane. He was on his own, and plainly should not have been driving alone. The inevitable happened. The car stalled, and the driver could not get it started and moving before the lights changed. Of course, everybody started leaning on the horns!

Sadly, it's not just an Irish thing I'm afraid. It's pretty well the norm in London as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Was waiting to get on a 207 at the top of Patrick St tonight. There was already a 205 at the stop and the 207 tried to pull in behind, but couldn't.

There was also an '01 Audi parked at the bottom of the stop, preventing the 207 from pulling in completely.

Bus driver tried to get the Audi to move from the stop, but the car wouldn't move. So the bus driver got out, and gave the Audi driver (smartly dressed young woman) what for.

The reason? There was a lady in a wheelchair who wanted to get on the bus, but couldn't as the bus could not pull into the stop.

Guess what the driver did? He made the Audi driver get out of her car and apologise to the lady in the wheelchair!

Fair play to the man. And shame on the ignorant ***** for being too selfish and lazy to find somewhere to park properly!

Well done that man..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

People have neither patience nor manners these days. No-one wants to give way, especially female drivers, and I speak as a female. Seems a lot of lady drivers think that they dare not stop the car once they're moving, can only drive in a straight line and never think to pull over to let other cars through!

Not much in the way of thanks either.

I was walking over the Christy Ring bridge this afternoon. At the lights, there is a right-hand filter for cars to turn into Shandon St. As you know, the lights aren't green for long. There was a learner in the first car in the RH lane. He was on his own, and plainly should not have been driving alone. The inevitable happened. The car stalled, and the driver could not get it started and moving before the lights changed. Of course, everybody started leaning on the horns!

Sadly, it's not just an Irish thing I'm afraid. It's pretty well the norm in London as well.

I drive the wife's micra the odd time in city, it has L plates on...people have no regard for L drivers. Drivers driving up close, cutting off anyone who flashes me I slow down to annoy them. but poulavane roundabout is worst..cars go in right lane so wont be behind the learner car and then attempt to cut me off by going into my exit which is second on roundabout so for left lane only...when they realise I ignore them they slot in behind me otherwise they would be into side of me and I would have a nice new car!!!
    Hate people like that as we were all learners once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i was actually going to come here to rant about driver ignorance aafter yesterday...

was driving from wilton/CUH roundabout towards dennehys cross...with the new road layout, you stay in the right lane and move into the left lane in the new yellow box AFTER the bus lane ends...

this woman in her nissan micra was in a traffic queue in the bus lane right before the yellow box, traffic in my lane (the correct one) was moving in at the correct point in the junction and the woman in the micra was getting frustrated that the car in front of her was daring to let all the cars who didn't use the bus lane get ahead of her....

she started blasting on the horn trying to get the car in front of her to move and i mean blasting on the horn..repeatedly.

i don't know how it ended as i passed her and went on my way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i was actually going to come here to rant about driver ignorance aafter yesterday...

was driving from wilton/CUH roundabout towards dennehys cross...with the new road layout, you stay in the right lane and move into the left lane in the new yellow box AFTER the bus lane ends...

this woman in her nissan micra was in a traffic queue in the bus lane right before the yellow box, traffic in my lane (the correct one) was moving in at the correct point in the junction and the woman in the micra was getting frustrated that the car in front of her was daring to let all the cars who didn't use the bus lane get ahead of her....

she started blasting on the horn trying to get the car in front of her to move and i mean blasting on the horn..repeatedly.

Spread the word about this new layout, people are constantly queuing up in the bus lane or moving into it when they don't have to!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Spread the word about this new layout, people are constantly queuing up in the bus lane or moving into it when they don't have to!

but they should be following the rules of the road and the road markings anyway which would lead them through the new junction, (this was when the bus lane was in operation so they shouldn't have been in it in the first place....)

but they should be following the rules of the road and the road markings anyway which would lead them through the new junction, (this was when the bus lane was in operation so they shouldn't have been in it in the first place....)
    I suppose people get set in a way and act as if things haven't changed, they stop noticing stuff. They could really do with some new road layout signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

grange mac wrote: »
    but poulavane roundabout is worst..cars go in right lane so wont be behind the learner car and then attempt to cut me off by going into my exit which is second on roundabout so for left lane only...when they realise I ignore them they slot in behind me otherwise they would be into side of me and I would have a nice new car!!!

The Poulavone roundabout is a source of confusion because people tend to disregard the entrance to the estate & don't count it as the first exit. I posted a query about that not so long ago. I regularly come from B'collig & exit up Model Farm Road and always take the right hand lane approaching the roundabout but on many occasions there is a car in the left lane exiting to Model Farm Road also & I get blasted out by them, including a driving instructor recently. Road markings don't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

well done to the Bus driver, he deserves some bula bus... People are extremely ignorant and getting worse by the day..Tis the taxi drivers do my nut in think they own the road can park where ever they like... Im always shocked at the amount of people who wont stop to let well fine if they don't want to let me cross the road ill just walk out and make them stop, but even letting kids cross wouldn't you want your kids to be able to cross the road safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 taraforest

I had a pretty bad experience the other day with a taxi, I was crossing the road to the bus station in the city. I stood in front of a parked taxi in one of the taxi spaces to let a car move in front of me. As the car drives in front of me, the taxi driver nudges the car into my leg giving me a terrible shock. Since I was carrying heavy shopping I could have easily fallen into the moving car.

I would have taken is number and reported him if some randomer at the bus stop didn't feel the need to shout at me telling me it was my fault and it was only a nudge and other such things.

Fortunately a nice taxi driver stopped to ask me if I was ok, or if I was hurt.

Well done to that bus driver too.

One of my pet hates that flipping white line crossing and the muppets still doing in spite of it being laid out now so that a child could understand it.

Before the yellow box was put in I was one of the few drivers driving down to the end of the continuous white line and putting on my indicator to move into the left lane. The gob****es queueing illegally were looking at me as if I was mental!

I enquired and can confirm that the above was not my wife in her micra...she is too polite and only gets mad at me!!

Wyldwood wrote: »

The Poulavone roundabout is a source of confusion because people tend to disregard the entrance to the estate & don't count it as the first exit. I posted a query about that not so long ago. I regularly come from B'collig & exit up Model Farm Road and always take the right hand lane approaching the roundabout but on many occasions there is a car in the left lane exiting to Model Farm Road also & I get blasted out by them, including a driving instructor recently. Road markings don't help.

Im come from the bypass daily and I think the general consus is people incl me ignore the estate entrance when counting the second exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I was pulling out of a space yesterday, road totally clear, nothing coming .... Idiot in a van shot around the corner at about 80 in a built up area and nearly hit the side of the car then followed me flashing his lights, beeping and mouthing abuse !

You always get the odd idiot though. I don't think most people are that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

You don't state what time of the day this happened, but the left hand lane is only a bus lane for 4 hours a day, 07:30 to 09:30 and 16:30 to 18:30. Outside of rush hour you should be using the LHS lane to go straight or right at Dennehys Cross.

I'm not defending yer one in the Micra, she does sound like a bit of a dope. However I have had drivers shaking fists and beeping when I was driving in the LHS lane outside of rush hour. I suppose it's another example of driver ignorance in Cork.

You don't state what time of the day this happened, but the left hand lane is only a bus lane for 4 hours a day, 07:30 to 09:30 and 16:30 to 18:30. Outside of rush hour you should be using the LHS lane to go straight or right at Dennehys Cross.

I'm not defending yer one in the Micra, she does sound like a bit of a dope. However I have had drivers shaking fists and beeping when I was driving in the LHS lane outside of rush hour. I suppose it's another example of driver ignorance in Cork.

i clarified it in the post above :D

TheChizler wrote: »

Again, there is only 4 hours a day when the LHS lane is a bus lane. For 20 hours a day cars should be queuing in the LHS lane to go straight or left at the junction.

i clarified it in the post above :D

Fair enough, I missed the bit about the Bus lane being "in operation".

Again, there is only 4 hours a day when the LHS lane is a bus lane. For 20 hours a day cars should be queuing in the LHS lane to go straight or left at the junction.

its also worth checking this on the bus lane info plates if you can, as some of them are now 24hours bus lanes....

the one in Douglas now is a 24 hour bus lane. so when they upgrade the road markings you should check the above is still the case, i think that particular stretch by the CUH->Dennehy's cross will become a 24hour bus corridor (read it ages ago in the echo) so keep an eye out for when it changes...

• Advertisement

Not since they changed the layout! Before the right hand land merged into tho bus lane and you would be correct. Now the bus lane explicitly merges into the right hand lane and there are yield markings for those merging from the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Something that's bothering me on a daily basis is the new/temp layout at the Sarsfield Rd. Roundabout - coming from Douglas and heading towards the Bandon roundabout - there are two lanes which then expands into three lanes.

if you're in the left lane then you're heading to the roundabout with the intention of heading left or straight on, if you're in the right lane, you're looking to go straight on, keeping to the right which brings you around the roundabout towards Wilton or back towards Douglas, depending.

Anyway, a large amount of people are merging into the middle lane from the right lane (which is supposed to take you towards Wilton) so basically you end up having to be very vigilant when merging from the left side as you could have a car drive into the back of you or side of you when merging from the right.

The way I see it is you should only be merging from the left here, not the right and yet I don't see any signs for it on the road and it's happening every day on my way to work.

I probably haven't explained that all too well but hopefully somebody else knows what I'm talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my God I could rant about this topic all day....! A previous poster said that drivers have no regard for cars with L plates - that's true but I've found even now that I've gotten my licence, but because I drive a Toyota Yaris (a dinky little car!), the amount of cars that overtake me is unreal; and I'm nearly always a few kms over the limit myself. It's like they think "oh that's a tiny little car, couldn't possibly be doing the speed limit":rolleyes: It really gets my goat!!!

As regards ignorant drivers - don't even get me started. People would park in the middle of the road if they thought they could get away with it. :rolleyes:

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh my God I could rant about this topic all day....! A previous poster said that drivers have no regard for cars with L plates - that's true but I've found even now that I've gotten my licence, but because I drive a Toyota Yaris (a dinky little car!), the amount of cars that overtake me is unreal; and I'm nearly always a few kms over the limit myself. It's like they think "oh that's a tiny little car, couldn't possibly be doing the speed limit":rolleyes: It really gets my goat!!!

As regards ignorant drivers - don't even get me started. People would park in the middle of the road if they thought they could get away with it. :rolleyes:

I totally 100% agree, i also drive a small car and its not funny when you are overtaking a vehicle on the link, you are behind them a good bit while they are doing about 80km/h, you go to the 100km/h and pull into the right lane to overtake, suddenly they realise Mr Audi or Ms BMW is being overtaken by a 'lesser' :rolleyes: car and they speed up and refuse to let you back in... :mad:

although at christmas while parked in mahon point retail park someone (it was there when i got back to my car) hit my bumper leaving a football sized dent, im currently refusing to get it fixed as since it happened as no-one is tailgating me anymore or driving right up behind me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

leahyl wrote: »

As happens on the south mall! I hate the "oh I am just popping in somewhere so I will just leave my car here and the blinkers on" attitude.

Also the "I'll just take the left hand lane and merge into the right" on Washington street.

The most selfish thing I've ever seen though was on the old Blackrock road going towards Blackrock. At the end by Ashton, cars are parked all along the road so it usually is just one lane. Right of way is given to those coming from town. I was coming from town and the car in front stopped because the cars way in front were stopped at the lights and was kindly letting oncoming traffic move rather then blocking traffic. The car behind me suddenly started going mad, beeping his horn and going a bit mad in his car. He was being such a twat! Funnily it made me really relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was out on the gluaisrothar last Saturday afternoon and was rumbling down MacCurtain street in traffic. I had a taxi driver literally feet from my back wheel. This does happen from time to time and usually gesturing to them to pull back is all you have to do to get people to wake up and realise what they're doing is dangerous.

I gestured to my man but did that stop him? Not a bit of it. In fact he hauled up even closer. At that stage, I turned around in the seat, eyeballed him and gave him the push-back gesture. I could see the whites of his eyes at this stage. He switched into the Summer hill lane near the Colosseum, rolled down the window and started abusing me.

IMO, some taxi drivers treat the roads as their playground. Certainly on a Saturday night. If I had a quid for every time I've had a taxi do a saucy U-turn into traffic I'd be rich. Some of them are out of control on weekend nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 invincibl3

Moving away slightly from muppets on the road, I ventured down to Garrettstown over the weekend, traffic of course was heavy from the city on the airport/Kinsale road.

At first I thought maybe there had been a car crash involving a couple of rubbish lorries, but no it gradually dawned on me that the mess left all over the road and hanging off briars and ditches; chipper bags, tesco bags, nappies etc. were being dumped by people leaving the beach/Kinsale after their jolly day out.

Selfish coonts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

One of my pet hates that flipping white line crossing and the muppets still doing in spite of it being laid out now so that a child could understand it.

Before the yellow box was put in I was one of the few drivers driving down to the end of the continuous white line and putting on my indicator to move into the left lane. The gob****es queueing illegally were looking at me as if I was mental!

You might want to re-think that phrase ;), the last time I was on that road there was signs on the roadside indicating that it was a bus lane form 0730-0930 & 1630-1830 ie rush hours. If the signs are still there and you were driving outside the posted hours, well the drivers in the inside lane were correct - "keep left at all times".

You might want to re-think that phrase ;), the last time I was on that road there was signs on the roadside indicating that it was a bus lane form 0730-0930 & 1630-1830 ie rush hours. If the signs are still there and you were driving outside the posted hours, well the drivers in the inside lane were correct - "keep left at all times".

yes but look at the newly painted road markings they very clearly show the bus lane is the one filtering into traffic....even though technically the lane is right in front of them traffic in the right lane has the right of way going by the road markings.

i have seen buses stop before filtering in yet cars in the bus lane seem to ignore the road markings....

• Advertisement

You might want to re-think that phrase ;),

No ta - I'll stick with gob****es. I know my rules pretty well and you're not supposed to cross a continuous white line and the drivers queuing on the inside lane there do.

Even before they made it easier to understand I've seen the cops handing out tickets to people queueing in that lane.

You'll notice here too there are no signs by the time you've passed the dotted line meaning to enter the bus lane you have no choice but ignore the rules of the road and cross the continuous white line if you want to queue in the left hand lane.

Advertisement