Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Ignorance

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

People still haven't copped that if they stayed in the right hand lane down to the roundabout and just turned left at the lights, it's far faster then staying in the clogged up left lane waiting at the stop sign.
    But arent you just making it worse the for the drivers stuck at the stop sign ?

If people didnt do as you suggested the cars at the stop sign would have a full clear 30 second gap to safely pull out, now with people doing the manouver you suggest they dont.

It makes no odds to me as i dont drive that way but i walk/cycle through that junction twice daily, and some days half the cars in the right lane are there to turn left. Which has a double effect of delaying the drivers who want to go straight through or go out towards bandon rd.

I think not allowing a left turn from that "right" lane would actually result in the left lane moving quicker .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If you go down the RH lane and use the lights to get on the roundabout you can join the outside lane of the dual carriageway and avoid that section where the LH lane coming from Wilton merges onto the Dual carriageway.

That way you have 2 streams of traffic coming from Wilton getting onto the dual carriageway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I drove down to the roundabout again last night and the way it's laid out it's really hard to join the inside lane of the dual carriageway, heading to the tunnel, from the wilton road. You'd find it easier to join the outside lane so as it stands there are two roads now to join the dual carriageway coming from wilton - both the LH & RH lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I drove down to the roundabout again last night and the way it's laid out it's really hard to join the inside lane of the dual carriageway, heading to the tunnel, from the wilton road. You'd find it easier to join the outside lane so as it stands there are two roads now to join the dual carriageway coming from wilton - both the LH & RH lanes

To be honest, some of those roundabouts don't quite work.
    I think people get a bit ridiculous when they start refusing to allow someone to change lane / blasting them out of it with the horn and getting aggressive.

For example, there are various routes marked across the Kinsale Road roundabout that don't even work if you follow them you end up cutting across traffic! The same applies elsewhere too.

On complex roundabouts, interchanges and other messes e.g. Douglas village, you have to allow some give and take and not drive aggressively. It allows the traffic to flow and the whole thing works better and doesn't block then.

I find in Ireland in general (but also elsewhere) there's a tendency to drive onto a roundabout then accelerate aggressively for some reason rather than just driving smoothly around it. All it does is increase the risk of hitting someone side on if they happen to attempt to enter the roundabout or misinterpret your indicators / lack there of.

All of these junctions operate most efficiently when people are moving relatively smoothly through them and not causing blockages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Solair wrote: »

On complex roundabouts, interchanges and other messes e.g. Douglas village, you have to allow some give and take and not drive aggressively. It allows the traffic to flow and the whole thing works better and doesn't block then.

well on the one by the douglas community school it would help if traffic coming off the link wouldn't drive onto the roundabout when the exit isn't clear. same goes for those coming from the south douglas road.

• Advertisement

hoodwinked wrote: »
    well on the one by the douglas community school it would help if traffic coming off the link wouldn't drive onto the roundabout when the exit isn't clear. same goes for those coming from the south douglas road.

I actually think that would probably work better as a simple, traffic light junction. The roundabout is unbalanced and just clogs.

The junction in Douglas village however just makes no sense at all. It's just a constant obstacle no matter what time of the day it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I actually think that would probably work better as a simple, traffic light junction. The roundabout is unbalanced and just clogs.

The junction in Douglas village however just makes no sense at all. It's just a constant obstacle no matter what time of the day it is.
    Traffic lights would help the school exit as they constantly get stuck waiting for someone off the link to let them out.

with the traffic lights now installed after the bridge by tesco i agree the roundabout there is troublesome and another light junction (providing it was synced correctly with the other set of lights) would be better...i just fear they'll never get the syncing of the lights right.

as for that atrocity by the topaz garage side, a roundabout is all that will fix that.

I was driving through part of Montenotte yesterday and had to turn right on a Y-junction on a very narrow road.

There were two cyclists coming up the road I was trying to turn down, so I had to sit for about 30 to 40 seconds to allow them to clear the junction. My indicator was on and there was absolutely no way of going anywhere else.

The guy behind me started to drive up to my bumper, blasted the horn (several times) and revved the engine aggressively.

I drive this route regularly and this happens every so often.

You also get people forcing their way through on areas that are clearly too narrow for two cars to pass and causing a complete obstruction of the road instead of waiting a few seconds to allow traffic to pass.

On the Middle Glanmire Road at the narrow spot just as you come up to Montenotte you also have to give way to oncoming traffic. Again there, I've had people blast me out of it for giving way even though there's actually no possibility of driving on as two cars simply will not fit past.

The worst I've ever had was also in Montenotte. I was coming up a very narrow road with cars parked along one side and there was only room enough for one car to barely squeeze through.

There were several cars behind me and I was already halfway along the narrow part when a delivery van came towards us in the opposite direction (having turned onto this road).

Instead of waiting for a few seconds to allow traffic to clear off the narrow bit, he blocked it and wanted me to reverse back (a good 300+ meters of parked cars and bends with at least 7 other cars now behind me due to him having blocked the road).

That turned into a stand-off. I beeped, he beeped, I beeped.. he took out a newspaper and switched off his engine!

Eventually I had to get out of the car (as did other drivers) and we had to actually direct traffic back down the road.

There's a large number of complete psychos on the road in Cork from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was driving through part of Montenotte yesterday and had to turn right on a Y-junction on a very narrow road.

There were two cyclists coming up the road I was trying to turn down, so I had to sit for about 30 to 40 seconds to allow them to clear the junction. My indicator was on and there was absolutely no way of going anywhere else.

The guy behind me started to drive up to my bumper, blasted the horn (several times) and revved the engine aggressively.

I drive this route regularly and this happens every so often.

You also get people forcing their way through on areas that are clearly too narrow for two cars to pass and causing a complete obstruction of the road instead of waiting a few seconds to allow traffic to pass.

On the Middle Glanmire Road at the narrow spot just as you come up to Montenotte you also have to give way to oncoming traffic. Again there, I've had people blast me out of it for giving way even though there's actually no possibility of driving on as two cars simply will not fit past.

The worst I've ever had was also in Montenotte. I was coming up a very narrow road with cars parked along one side and there was only room enough for one car to barely squeeze through.

There were several cars behind me and I was already halfway along the narrow part when a delivery van came towards us in the opposite direction (having turned onto this road).

Instead of waiting for a few seconds to allow traffic to clear off the narrow bit, he blocked it and wanted me to reverse back (a good 300+ meters of parked cars and bends with at least 7 other cars now behind me due to him having blocked the road).

That turned into a stand-off. I beeped, he beeped, I beeped.. he took out a newspaper and switched off his engine!

Eventually I had to get out of the car (as did other drivers) and we had to actually direct traffic back down the road.

There's a large number of complete psychos on the road in Cork from what I can see.

There is often a problem when drivers refuse to drive through spaces perfectly wide enough for their car. This happens all the time on the Middle Glanmire road where there are very few parts too narrow for two cars to pass but cars stop and wait all the time - very annoying. Or where there should be room for two cars except the car approaching you is a foot and a half out from the footpath.

That guy beeping his horn while you waited for the road to clear is a knob of the highest order, though.

I drive up Trafalgar hill, Lovers Lane and onto Middle Glanmire road to Saint Luke's regularly and while most drivers are capable and courteous the problems are caused by the aggressive drivers and the ones who don't know how wide their car is.

There is often a problem when drivers refuse to drive through spaces perfectly wide enough for their car. This happens all the time on the Middle Glanmire road where there are very few parts too narrow for two cars to pass but cars stop and wait all the time - very annoying. Or where there should be room for two cars except the car approaching you is a foot and a half out from the footpath.

That guy beeping his horn while you waited for the road to clear is a knob of the highest order, though.

I drive up Trafalgar hill, Lovers Lane Walk and onto Middle Glanmire road to Saint Luke's regularly and while most drivers are capable and courteous the problems are caused by the aggressive drivers and the ones who don't know how wide their car is.

Yeah, I agree you get the odd person who is just terrified by the narrowness of the roads or stays way over, but they're still not as big an issue as the idiot who causes a major blockage by forcing their way down and getting stuck in a stand-off with a car / van that's up against the wall with the mirrors folded in.

I am very, very familiar with both routes and have driven everything from small cars to trucks up them without any issue.

There are also a few spots at the top of Lovers Walk (just at the Middle Glanmire Road) where the residents / city council have added bollards to protect house walls. I think it's to protect them structurally from vibrations rather than to protect against scratches, but they're quite a new addition and they're causing cars to swerve way out and the on-coming drivers can't see them so think the cars are just driving too far over.

In general though, if drivers just take it a bit easier and allow cars to pass through, those roads work. It's when some muppet blocks the whole place up I get really annoyed.

As for the Middle Glanmire road there are a few points two cars can't pass (well it depends on the size of the car / van).

The pinch points are : Just before the turn up towards Murmont and there's another pinch point just before you get to the Cope Foundation where you do need to allow traffic to judge the width of the road. The rest of it runs smoothly.

Lovers Walk is a good bit narrower and has a couple of points where you will cause a serious jam if you don't pay attention / yield to oncoming cars.
    There's an etiquette to it though, you get an issue when someone just gets pig-headed about it and ploughs on.

The same goes for other tight spots around the city, if you're not familiar with them, you're best off taking it pretty easy.

To be honest, I'd rather someone totally unfamiliar with Lovers Walk / Middle Glanmire Road be a bit hesitant and let me pass them, rather than do the other thing which is plough through and remove my wing mirror (which has happened me on quite a few occasions.)

There's always the odd time on Lovers Walk when you have to actually fold in the mirrors to pass.

If you can comfortably drive those roads, and Barrack Street, Douglas Street, Blarney Street etc, you can drive anywhere!

Also, I think there's a bit of an issue with GPS systems routing people to the Montenotte Hotel via Trafalgar Hill, Lovers Walk & Middle Glanmire Road from the Lower Glanmire Road, when they'd be a lot better off going up through St. Lukes via the City Centre.

I've seen some rental cars as well as non-C and UK regs looking absolutely terrified and driving up at about 2km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

speaking of ignorance or more like stupidity I was on my way back from dublin to cork Guy started reversing back on the motorway I was coming up fast enough I would have swerved out but just at the last second, another car zipped past in the fast lane Lucky for me I had just enough time to slow down and pull out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

rosie16 wrote: »
    speaking of ignorance or more like stupidity I was on my way back from dublin to cork Guy started reversing back on the motorway I was coming up fast enough I would have swerved out but just at the last second, another car zipped past in the fast lane Lucky for me I had just enough time to slow down and pull out

I've seen this a number of times "oops, I missed the off-ramp, I'll just reverse back to it". Pillocks. :rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

What's worse is there was no off ramp Middle of the motorway No exits behind or before Just reserving into a small gate to a field Like there was nowhere else to go Didnt even look, I dont even think they knew they knew they were on motorway >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Was driving in Blackpool yesterday. Had the misfortune to be behind a learner driver. Not that I mind - of course not. We all had to learn once. But I have a real bug bear about L-Drivers going about unaccompanied.

This silly cow was in a car with four of her mates, texting away...:eek:

I just made it my business to get as far away from them as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yeah, I agree you get the odd person who is just terrified by the narrowness of the roads or stays way over, but they're still not as big an issue as the idiot who causes a major blockage by forcing their way down and getting stuck in a stand-off with a car / van that's up against the wall with the mirrors folded in.

I am very, very familiar with both routes and have driven everything from small cars to trucks up them without any issue.

There are also a few spots at the top of Lovers Walk (just at the Middle Glanmire Road) where the residents / city council have added bollards to protect house walls. I think it's to protect them structurally from vibrations rather than to protect against scratches, but they're quite a new addition and they're causing cars to swerve way out and the on-coming drivers can't see them so think the cars are just driving too far over.

In general though, if drivers just take it a bit easier and allow cars to pass through, those roads work. It's when some muppet blocks the whole place up I get really annoyed.

As for the Middle Glanmire road there are a few points two cars can't pass (well it depends on the size of the car / van).

The pinch points are : Just before the turn up towards Murmont and there's another pinch point just before you get to the Cope Foundation where you do need to allow traffic to judge the width of the road. The rest of it runs smoothly.

Lovers Walk is a good bit narrower and has a couple of points where you will cause a serious jam if you don't pay attention / yield to oncoming cars.
    There's an etiquette to it though, you get an issue when someone just gets pig-headed about it and ploughs on.

The same goes for other tight spots around the city, if you're not familiar with them, you're best off taking it pretty easy.

To be honest, I'd rather someone totally unfamiliar with Lovers Walk / Middle Glanmire Road be a bit hesitant and let me pass them, rather than do the other thing which is plough through and remove my wing mirror (which has happened me on quite a few occasions.)

There's always the odd time on Lovers Walk when you have to actually fold in the mirrors to pass.

If you can comfortably drive those roads, and Barrack Street, Douglas Street, Blarney Street etc, you can drive anywhere!

Also, I think there's a bit of an issue with GPS systems routing people to the Montenotte Hotel via Trafalgar Hill, Lovers Walk & Middle Glanmire Road from the Lower Glanmire Road, when they'd be a lot better off going up through St. Lukes via the City Centre.

I've seen some rental cars as well as non-C and UK regs looking absolutely terrified and driving up at about 2km/h

I used to travel this route when I lived on Patrick's Hill and the only advice I'd give anyone is to be pretty strident and clear about what you're doing once you know where the tight spots are. If you dawdle, people will pile in on top of you.

For example where that dude has those vans perma-parked on the blind bend, if the way is clear, push on- if you dawdle here you'll end up in an awkward negotiation. At the top of Lovers' Walk at the junction near the residents' cars. If your body language doesn't say 'Coming Through', people will plough through the junction and down against you in a flash. When you get to the junction yourself and if you're turning left, you can gently clear the junction and pull up alongside the garages on the left before that pinch point. If you stayed behind the stop sign, you'd be there all day with the junction clogged and people beeping. If you're letting people go that are coming against you, flash and brake briskly. Clarity all the way.

In other words, non-aggressive steady progress and everyone gets a chance.

Advertisement