Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish Essay Question

• 15-03-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

For the "Aiste" in the HL Irish Essay section of the Leaving Cert paper, approximately how many essays should you have prepared for the exam and what topics should you have them prepared for? Also, around how long would your answer have to be to get an A? Any useful phrases for the essays would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Well we've got essays on imigration and economy, poverty, violence, death on the roads, importance of sport, dangers of the internet and bits on drugs and there all about two and a half pages. Wrote 3 pages in my mock and got 95/100 so thats more than plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

There is no set length for an answer to be an A-grade, really. Just make sure to have it over the 500-600 mark. As in learning off essays, that's not the way I'd go about it. Yes, I would learn vocabulary for each topic for example with an essay on social problems you could learn the phrase (tá an fhadhb imithe ó smacht - the problem is going out of control) or else vocabulary such as (dífhostaiocht) or whatever it may be. It would significantly cut down on the amount of material you'll be 'learning off' and will make it easier on you to remember the essentials. You should know your grammar inside out, and after that you shouldn't have a major problem in creating an essay on the spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Thank you for your replies! :) did you get all the phrases/sample answers to base your essay on from your Irish textbook or from Revision books? And are there any books you found particularly helpful for essays? I was considering buying "Shortcuts to Success Irish Essay Writing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Ní cheannóinn aon leabhar dírithe ar cheapadóireacht, in ionad sin, dírigh d'aird ar an ngrammadach agus ar topaicí; ag foghlaim foclóra bainteach leis. Mar shampla, cruthaigh "spider diagram" agus smaoinigh ar na foclóir a bheadh úsáideach don aiste. Féach orthu go rialta agus an rud Is tábhachtaí ná; bí ag labhairt fúthu! Cabhróidh é sin go mór leatsa, geallaim é seo duit.

I wouldn't buy any book focused on composition, instead I would focus my attention on certain topics learning the vocab associated with each topic. Make out a spider diagram and think of the vocab that would be useful for the essay and focus in on that. Look at them regularly and the most important thing, talk about it as gaeilge as much as possible. This will be a big help, i promise.

Agus éist le daoine ag labhairt gaeilge! agus labhair í duit féin. Bheadh sé níos fearr caint leatsa féin ná gan a bheith ag labhairt. Beidh sé níos éasca smaoiniú as gaeilge ansin agus thiocfaidh na foclóir agus na smaointí i do chloiginn go nádúrtha gan strus! Beir greim!

Thanks all for your replies :) so would around 6-7 essay topics be enough to have prepared in order to cover any essays that may come up in the Leaving Cert?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the answer to my question regarding how many essays you should have prepared for the Leaving Cert in the previous post? :) Any replies would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

For the oral and essay question, where can I find specific vocab for economic topics etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

2013 is the year of the Irish Gathering so that might be a topic ie. emigration

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jane smith

do you think i would be safe learning essays on
    poverty
    teenagers today
    the irish language
    dangers of the internet
    and environment ?

please help !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stephenbegley1

Yeah if you learn those essays you should be safe enough! I learned: Problems of young people, health of the youth, drugs/drink problems, the internet/technology, the environment, terrorism, the economic situation, The state of irish and other bits around that! Ive a feeling the question will be general enough so you should be grand! I think you should learn a one on the Cúlú Eacnamaíocht and defiantly learn about 5-10 Seanfochal, examiners love them!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jane smith

thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Endless Euphoria

I'm learning :

1. An Timpeallacht
    2. An Cúlú Eacnamaíochta
    3. Na Meáin Chumarsáide agus an Teicneolaíocht Nua-Aimseartha
    4. Spórt
    5. An Ghailge
    6. Fadhb na daoine oga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex