Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build grants

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi, starting a new build. Is there a comprehensive list of all available grants that may be obtained during a build ? I see a list here but it seems to be for existing house, not new builds.

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/What_Grants_Are_Available/
    supposedly / some time ago the minster for funny walks suggested the vat would be removed on materials for those building: ive yet to see anything formal though, but this is your best bet, as all grants are for existing upgrades. the new building regs take care of energy conservation for the likes of you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

BryanF wrote: »
    supposedly / some time ago the minster for funny walks suggested the vat would be removed on materials for those building: ive yet to see anything formal though, but this is your best bet, as all grants are for existing upgrades. the new building regs take care of energy conservation for the likes of you;)

Cheers. The solar seems to be the main one here for me. Grant was available but now its basically complusary and no grant. Been wishing on that VAT back on materials for a while now, dont think its worth holding off on the build with the hope of it next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭Casati

Cheers. The solar seems to be the main one here for me. Grant was available but now its basically complusary and no grant. Been wishing on that VAT back on materials for a while now, dont think its worth holding off on the build with the hope of it next year..

No grants on new builds available when I built last year in Dublin, might be different elsewhere but I dont think so. You will never see VAT free for new builds as it would further encourage black economy work

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Casati wrote: »
    as it would further encourage black economy work
    No, not at all. It works very successfully in NI as it is the materials that are VAT free and not labour.

To expand the logic - for example- if you use black market labour to built a house for you today, you pay 23% on almost all materials, and zero on labour. If materials are 60% and labour 40%, then the effective VAT rate is 13.8%

If you use a vat reg contractor, he/ she will be able to charge you just 13.5% on the total cost- i.e. the same same effective vat rate as using the balck market. This helps to negate some of the potential short term benefit with using black market labour.

Ideally the govt would reduce this 13.5% figure substantially to not only encourage home building but to also encourage more contractors to reg for VAT. If they simply reduced VAT on materials only then it would be even easier for un-reg contractors and trades to operate illegally and provide the customer with a lower effective vat rate than they could get from reg contractors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I see what you're saying Casati and all good and valid points. Every line of business and work is always open to abuse and its up to the government to close potential loopholes. I dont know the ins and outs of the system in NI other than it is successful apparently but I would imagine that VAT receipts for labour would probably be required to be furnished in order to avail of either 0% VAT on materials or a refund of the VAT paid on the materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockabaloo

The labour is zero-rated for VAT. It goes through the books but just isn't charged.

Labour is zero-rated.

Materials with labour are zero-rated (e.g. solar panels that are supplied and fitted - there is no VAT charged on work nor materials).

Materials are charged with VAT. You can then claim it all back from the tax man when the build is complete.

rockabaloo wrote: »
    The labour is zero-rated for VAT. It goes through the books but just isn't charged.

Labour is zero-rated.

Materials with labour are zero-rated (e.g. solar panels that are supplied and fitted - there is no VAT charged on work nor materials).

Materials are charged with VAT. You can then claim it all back from the tax man when the build is complete.

Can NI contractors legally supply materials and labour in ROI with zero vat then- the general EU rules are that you only pay VAT in one country - either the country of sale or the country of the buyer??

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockabaloo

Casati wrote: »

Can NI contractors legally supply materials and labour in ROI with zero vat then- the general EU rules are that you only pay VAT in one country - either the country of sale or the country of the buyer??

Interesting question. But I have no idea what the answer would be

Advertisement