Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnecting Windows XP to internet

Options
  • 15-03-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey guys, got a PC off my granddad a while ago, fairly decent thing, runs well. A while ago though, the internet simply stopped working, and I have no idea why. I reckon that the port itself is fecked, though I'm not sure. I also have very little experience with or knowledge of XP, so the whole process is a bit sketchy. Anyone know of any definite ways of seeing if it's the port that's broken, and how to reconnect it to the internet?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/howto_i_client.mspx
    make sure net connection cable ethernet,is in all the way in the router, and p port,
    try cable in a laptop,
    cable could be faulty
    ,http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090331070555AA0yrIy
    try another browser,
    in browser settings ,network, settings, click lan settings,

make sure all boxes are unticked,automatically detect settings off,
    un ticked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

There's many things you could try. As Riclad said, if you have another machine nearby to check the cable, do that. Make sure the cable is properly connected from the router to the back of the computer - once it is, check in Start >> Connect to >> Show All Connections, and see if your Local Area Connection is showing as Connected.

If it is Connected, go to Start >> Run, type in CMD and press Enter, and type IPConfig into the black prompt box. Your IP address should begin with 192 - if it does, then your computer is online and its an issue with a firewall or browser.

Happy fixing :)

TURN on pc, plug in ethernet cable, see system, tray, in winxp, you should see a square type ,logo,animation ,like a clock, as it trys to set up an ip connection ,to the router.
    OR click,on control panel,lan, network connections,
    local area network,
    it,ll SAY underneath connected, firewalled.
    SEE control panel,
    system,device manager,network device,
    there should be a network lan ethernet device listed.
    if not the driver file is damaged,corrupt,
    or the proper ethernet driver is not installed.
    or it could be just a faulty ethernet cable.

i had to put in a new cable last week,
    cable was dodgey,
    it showed icon,yellow,
    limited connectivity,in system tray,
    lower right side of screen.

ITS possible you may have a virus,that damaged the files,
    that are needed in windows ,to operate the ethernet card, device noprmally.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Yeah it turned out it was just Chrome that wasn't working, can't believe I didn't think of trying another browser... :o

GET this,
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
    download ,install,
    UNLESS you like chrome,sending all your info to google.
    its safer to use,more private.

SRWare Iron is a real alternative. The browser is based on the Chromium-source and offers the same features as Chrome - but without the critical points
    re privacy concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

riclad wrote: »
    GET this,
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
    download ,install,
    UNLESS you like chrome,sending all your info to google.
    its safer to use,more private.

SRWare Iron is a real alternative. The browser is based on the Chromium-source and offers the same features as Chrome - but without the critical points
    re privacy concerns.

Nice one, thanks for this. Already have it downloaded onto my laptop.

Advertisement