Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job - medical

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Having been out of work for quite a while, I've been offered a permanent new job - pending medical examination.

They've sent me an appointment with the medical centre.

I attended this very same centre before, in my old job, when I was out of work due to a medical condition (my cancer is currently in remission.) I attended this centre when returning to work.

First question - can this medical centre pass on details of the person's history - i.e. that they've examined me before, and that I was out of work for a couple of months before, when I was getting chemo? (At the time, the medical centre's opinion was that I was better again and fully OK to return for work, and that's what they told my employers at the time, and all was OK.)

Second question - if one was pregnant at such an appointment, would same be disclosed to the new employers?

Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Glad to hear that you are well at this time.

No, the medical center cannot provide your employer with information from previous visits.

However in a thorough medical you will be given a questionnaire that will cover at lease some of your medical history.

(1) If you chose to not answer questions on the questionnaire or to the doctor during the medical then the medic can draw his/her own conclusions about your suitability to work and you may lose out.

(2) If you chose to lie on the questionnaire or to the doctor during the medical then the company may be in a strong position to dismiss you should you miss days related to your illness.

(3) You cannot be discriminated against on the grounds of your pregnancy, but you may wish to keep it to yourself for personal reasons. However the company needs to know for health and safety reasons, if your job would expose you to any risks that would be heightened due to your pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Glad to hear that you are well at this time.

No, the medical center cannot provide your employer with information from previous visits.

However in a thorough medical you will be given a questionnaire that will cover at lease some of your medical history.

(1) If you chose to not answer questions on the questionnaire or to the doctor during the medical then the medic can draw his/her own conclusions about your suitability to work and you may lose out.

(2) If you chose to lie on the questionnaire or to the doctor during the medical then the company may be in a strong position to dismiss you should you miss days related to your illness.

(3) You cannot be discriminated against on the grounds of your pregnancy, but you may wish to keep it to yourself for personal reasons. However the company needs to know for health and safety reasons, if your job would expose you to any risks that would be heightened due to your pregnancy.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm certainly not going to lie - I've been to this centre before, presumably they'll know my history as they'll have my name and date of birth on file.

Pregnancy is not an issue anymore. There was a risk of it, but I'm not. And not likely to be any time soon.)

Medical is on Monday.

How much do they tell the employer? I'll be honest about everything, but my employer currently knows nothing of my medical past. Even if the doctors pass me - and there's no reason not to, I'm in fine physical condition right now - how much do they actually end up telling the employer after the exam?

Advertisement