Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads is there a card I can pick up locally to run a Catleap 27" monitor

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for something reasonable to run those Korean monitors, I might go with a crossover one but wondering if any of the ones in PC World or Maplins would do the job, mostly to run SimCity or the Sims for the kids.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It will need a dual link dvi connection anyway. Something like this is about as cheap as you will get. Should run those games on low-medium settings.

This if you want to go Nvidia, better than the 7770 but not as good as the 7850.

This if you want a bit more graphics power. Should run them at medium- high settings.

If you want even more power then this. Should run high-ultra settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hi Thanks for that, what about pcworld they have a 2gig version of the 7770 any better? http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-AMD-Radeon-HD-7770-GHz-Edition-PCIE-Graphics-Card-2-GB/311405/146

Not for that price. Why not just order from Komplett or Amazon. It's free and fast delivery.

I don't think that pcworld 7770 has a dual link dvi either.

The exchange rate is really good on the pound at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11200-14-20G-Card-HD7850-GDDR5/dp/B008HV63F0/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1363434848&sr=1-3

Ok after much research I've narrowed my search down and increased my budget 3 choices are 2nd hand 580, 2nd hand gigabyte windforce 670 or a new sapphire 7950 Vapor OC version this comes in around 300 delivered by amazon 670 around the 320 mark and the 580 around 180 but its a 3 year old card! So for running one of these Catleap (it's actually a Crossover) would u go 7950 or 670?

They are pretty close to each other in performance but the 670 has the edge with better frame latency.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    They are pretty close to each other in performance but the 670 has the edge with better frame latency.
    Yeah just worried buying second hand warranty etc, plus 7950 has the the 3Gb memory and there is some headroom for overclocking it to near 7970 levels.

Well if you wanna go new you can't go wrong with a 7950. They are great cards for the money. Overclocked there's only about 5-8% difference between an oced 7950 and an oced 7970.

Models to get:

Sapphire dual-x or vapor-x

Asus Direct CU2 or 3

Club3d RoyalKing

BloodBath wrote: »
    Well if you wanna go new you can't go wrong with a 7950. They are great cards for the money. Overclocked there's only about 5-8% difference between an oced 7950 and an oced 7970.

Models to get:

Sapphire dual-x or vapor-x

Asus Direct CU2 or 3

Club3d RoyalKing
    Thanks think ill go with the Vapor-x from amazon just like the additional 1gb of memory

Advertisement