Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:43pm

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Dublin soon from Cork. I will be working near the RDS/AIB Bankcentre so wondering where the best place to live is? I know a lot of people living in Ranelagh -its a lovely place so primarily looking there. Other places that I've seen nice houses include Donnybrook, Rathmines, Rathgar, Dundrum (bit cheaper) and Milltown.

Also seen a few places in Dublin 2 and Sandymout near the DART.

Presume there are loads of Dublin Bus routes that go to Merrion Road? Anyone do this commute take long?

Oh and if you know of a gym nearby that would help too.

Thanks in advance for replies! :)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It depends on your budget. Blackrock is also an option to be honest.

awec wrote: »
    It depends on your budget. Blackrock is also an option to be honest.

Max 600 p/m!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

Ranelagh, Milltown and Dundrum are all along the Luas line - bit harder to get to the RDS area from there, although Ranelagh is a lovely area. Anywhere along the dart line would be a good option if you're looking for a relatively easy commute. I second awec's input, Blackrock is a good call. Sandymount is a lovely area too, it's pricey though.

600 p/m is do-able if you're looking to house or apartment share with a few people - if you're looking for your own place forget it at that price!

car.kar wrote: »
    Ranelagh, Milltown and Dundrum are all along the Luas line - bit harder to get to the RDS area from there, although Ranelagh is a lovely area. Anywhere along the dart line would be a good option if you're looking for a relatively easy commute. I second awec's input, Blackrock is a good call. Sandymount is a lovely area too, it's pricey though.

600 p/m is do-able if you're looking to house or apartment share with a few people - if you're looking for your own place forget it at that price!

Oh sharing definitely.

I've looked up Dublin Bus so living in Ranelagh would just require a short walk and then bus ride to RDS. I have no idea about buses, is this what a lot of commuters do? Are they very busy?

The places I've seen advertised in Ballsbridge are quite pokey, I don't wanna live in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

Oh sharing definitely.

I've looked up Dublin Bus so living in Ranelagh would just require a short walk and then bus ride to RDS. I have no idea about buses, is this what a lot of commuters do? Are they very busy?

The places I've seen advertised in Ballsbridge are quite pokey, I don't wanna live in a box.

In rush hour traffic yes they would be busy, but the distance between Ranelagh and the RDS isn't that far really, so it wouldn't take too long.

I'm very glad you said sharing ... you'd have been looking for garden sheds at that price if you wanted your own place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Stoneybatter and get a bus (37/39 routes) over. 30/45 mins each way in the morning evening on a bus, nice houses, great community. You'll get better bang for your buck. Nice gym in Smithfield too. Get a bike for the summer and you're only a 20 minute cycle to work and 5 minutes to the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Ranelagh, Rathmines, and Blackrock are all within walking distance of Bank Centre.

Anywhere along the DART line would also be suitable as the Lansdowne Road stop is within walking distance to Bank Centre.

Somewhere along the Luas line would not be as convenient.

Ballsbridge is a nice area but very quiet at weekends (except for weekends when there's something on in the Aviva or the RDS) as it's mainly workers that make it busier during the week.

When I moved up first I stayed with friends and relations initially until I got to know my way around. I would recommend this if you have the option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement