Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an eReader

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per the title. Looking for an ereader.

I have the ipad 1 but have been told they arent great for reading long term. I use it for reading boards, internet etc and never had an issue.

Was considering the iPad mini. What are they like for eReading? Would I better off getting a Kindle Fire or Google Nexus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

I would say if you're going for a gadget to read then you go for the ones specifically made for reading. By that I mean that you go for something like the Sony PRS-T2.

I bought the PRS-T2 model for my girlfriend at Christmas and it's brilliant. Really crisp screen and very easy on your eyes. It also has the added benefit of giving you the option of electronically renting books from libraries around the world. You won't be able to do that with the Kindle options.

My friend has the cheaper version of the Kindle, and while it's very easy to read, it is not as easy to use as the Sony. I haven't had the chance to use the more expensive models of Kindle so I can't comment on them.

I would not be going for the Kindle Fire or I-Pad mini though as they are not made for reading and will strain your eyes the same way an I-Pad will.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not sure if the Sony is suitable. I read books with a logo of photos. I think I need a colour screen

godtabh wrote: »
    Not sure if the Sony is suitable. I read books with a logo of photos. I think I need a colour screen

I don't think any of the other products you're looking for will make any difference. They are not specifically made for reading so the screen will still strain your eyes like an I-Pad. The Kindle Fire HD may give some improvement as the screen is crisper but otherwise it's probably be a waste of money buying one of those as the I-Pad will do the same job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What about the retina display iPads or similar resolution tablet?

godtabh wrote: »
    What about the retina display iPads or similar resolution tablet?

They would be marginally better but IMO not enough to spend €200+ on a new gadget. They are simply not made for reading like the Kindle or Sony devices are. If it was me I think I'd be happy enough to stick with the I-Pad if you need the colour screen. Then again, you could easily go into an Apple store to see for yourself but the difference would'nt be much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement