Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hand of Time.

Options
  • 15-03-2013 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

During the week I had a small accident at work.

I went through the usual company procedures & was whisked off to the Doctor.

After a short stint in the waiting room I was called in.

The Doctor was not my usual one, but a lady about my age.

As she examined my injury, I noticed my file on the computer screen.

At the top read; Name, Christopher Class. Age 44 yrs 8mths.........

At this point I was about to tell the Dr that 'That's the wrong file. I'm not that age', when all of a sudden I realised It was me & the Doctor was a good 15 year younger than myself....

So...are there times in life when you suddenly realise that the hand of time is moving on?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

when the kids have more sex than i do and theyre still in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

So...are there times in life when you suddenly realise that the hand of time is moving on?

Myself and he-who-is-not-my-husband love to travel. Its usually a cheap flight and a hostel but we have great fun.
    Anyway, we've both got places in mind that we'd love to visit...his being Bosnia, Serbia and Crimea. We'll get there eventually :)

But my dream trip since I was younger has always been Cuba. I'd love to spend a month really discovering the country. Each year brings new trips and I've put Cuba on the back burner :(

During the week, I woke up counting my fingers after realising next year is 2014. Quick maths...I was born in 1964...holy moly, I'm goin to be 50 :eek:

How?? I dont feel that age in my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

........ Age 44 yrs 8mths.........

At this point I was about to tell the Dr that 'That's the wrong file. I'm not that age', when all of a sudden I realised It was me & the Doctor was a good 15 year younger than myself....
    Chucken wrote: »
    ...I was born in 1964...holy moly, I'm goin to be 50 ......

There I was thinking this forum wasnt for kids.

Suppose I should have guessed, what with the posts about on-line dating & stuff

Back in the times when I was working I once fell into conversation with a total stranger, a woman of ( I guessed ) 10 years less than I. At the end of the chat there was a long pause followed by her assaulting me the the question :

What used you to do ?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Maybe we need a new forum for real O & O's!! Some of ye are only childer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

It's about perspective really.

I remember turning 30 & thinking I was gettin' on a bit.

Now, of course, it seems very young to me.

My kids think I'm old. My parents think I'm still a baby.

I've never been 44 before & have no older siblings, so I'm breaking new ground all the time.

I sometimes reflect on funny/strange things that happen in normal life & like to impart/inflict my percieved wisdom on others.

That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

define where the line is drawn................if you dare :p

Cheek!! How's about 60 and over then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Well I'm not moving so yer stuck with me :P

ageism.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

...holy moly, I'm goin to be 50 :eek:

How?? I don't feel that age in my head :(

Is there a particular way any of us should feel at any age?
    We all only get to do this, the one time-so are all on a learning curve.

My parents are 70s-and still young at heart.
    I have neighbours in their 40s/50s who "expect" that we should conform/act "older",because we are no longer young(by their standards).

Hello?
    I'm 44-not 144-jeez I live every day to the max,and don't feel any age-just feel young and vibrant !!

Having said that-I cannot believe I am 44-the years are flying by,and it scares me to have an adult child,when I remember -so clearly-being 18!

• Advertisement

Inside my head I'm 16. I'm confused by the oul'wan who watches me from every mirror!! She's creepy! :eek:

The actual age isnt important, its just an occasional point of interest along the way. As you say its a state of mind and coming to terms with the challenges of the moment.
    I dont think we need to exclude or particularly include folk on the basis of the year they were born. Lets just welcome everyone who wants to come for a bit of a chat.*

*As long as they dont pinch the good biscuits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am 66. I am currently building a Viking age tent (woodworking, sewing canvas). To sleep in. Yesterday I was in the Patricks day Parade all dressed up. Sometimes I feel like 40 (lets not get carried away here) sometimes I feel like 90. I am acutely aware that Christmases come round very fast and I maybe have another 10 years of gallivanting, max. Well, maybe not sleeping in tents...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Well, I'll get officially worried when the sight of a handsome woman doesn't cause my defective eyes to bother to focus. And I don't mean those giggly young wans with the rust primer tan and flappy-paddle eyelashes. Real women, with personality, talent and looks, e.g:
    • Ruth Langsford (Mrs. Eamonn Holmes);
    • Jane Wymark ("Joyce Barnaby", Midsomer Murders);
    • Diana Rigg;
    • Shirley Bassie;
    • Aung San Suu Kyi;
    • Our HSE rep;
    • Eileen Dunne;
    • That photographer who took my passport photo last year;
    • Approx. 4.21 million others.
    Of course, Mrs. BrensBenz still gives my focussing mechanism a lot of work but, for any similarly-aged, lady-type posters here, don't be put off by that. If you think you qualify for inclusion in this list, feel free to send photos and / or contact details. Alternatively, jam doughnuts or Halfords vouchers would be acceptable alternatives.

As I have said here many times, I am a girl, and reading your list of wimmin there Brens, I think Eileen Dunne is the nicest lovely-girl of all the lady newsreaders. :) And don't get me started on them weather wimmin! :( One day soon, there might be a pic of me on here so you can see what a lovely-girl I really ham! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

During the week, I woke up counting my fingers after realising next year is 2014. Quick maths...I was born in 1964...holy moly, I'm goin to be 50 :eek:

Snap! '64 made for a really good vintage;)
    I hope you make it to Cuba, I imagine it's Castros version you wish to see not the future American one.

On the hand of time, a week or so ago I was flicking through a book I had absently picked up. It was just lists of names, page after page of names, I took notice then of the dates mentioned and realised everyone listed was now dead and were only resurrected for that brief time through my eyes. It just struck a chord with me. Everything I concern myself with presently ,as it was with them, will be for nought when I too get added to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I'm 58, and I've forgotten why I'm on this thread.
    Did any of youse find me cap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I felt the slap of the hand of time there just reading your post Mr. Class.

Just realised that I am in fact 44 now, and not actually 43 as I have been saying I am for a while, not on purpose.

Time is flying by, I used to laugh when I heard someone saying that!

:-)

foxinsox wrote: »
    I felt the slap of the hand of time there just reading your post Mr. Class.

:-)

Given the thread title, it's ironic that I was being treated for a hand injury.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jaysus I'm 22 and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting on a bit. I wish I could wind back the clock and be 18 again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

The last couple of weeks, I noticed I've been working out how old I am, whilst driving. It's harder than it looks! The fact that I keep re-doing the calculation says it all...

I've been telling myself I'm 41 (and a half) years old and not 42. I haven't done the (and a half) since I was, well, 5 (and a half).

Dubwat wrote: »
    The last couple of weeks, I noticed I've been working out how old I am, whilst driving. It's harder than it looks! The fact that I keep re-doing the calculation says it all...

I've been telling myself I'm 41 (and a half) years old and not 42. I haven't done the (and a half) since I was, well, 5 (and a half).

Yeah. Computers have a way telling you the absolute truth about yourself & makin' an absolute bollix of things for ye.

I went into that room thinking I was a young blade & computer said no.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I've got to get a haircut next week and I know I'll look at the floor afterwards and think, 'nah, that's not my gray hair(s).'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Below is a post I saw on reddit.com once that really struck a chord with me:
    Life is... so short.
    I remember being a kid in primary school age ten. Our school yard, where we played football and other sports, overlooked the secondary school yard, where old guys aged 15-17 did stuff 'old guys do'. I remember watching them, slightly awestruck, as they gathered in groups, presumably discussing grown up stuff, admiring them and knowing that I would one day be like them, old, and be fifteen.
    A 'grown up'.
    They were so distant. The time gap was huge. The distance, for me, to ever be fifteen was too big to comprehend (five years). It was a gulf I could never imagine crossing.
    A huge amount of time.
    Now I'm 38.
    Five years pass in the blink of an eye. I gave up counting years and time passing a while ago. After a certain point it becomes pointless. Time stretches. Years pass.
    And yet you're always the same 'kid'. That's something they never convey in books, or movies or on TV. The fact that it's always the same 'you'. You get older. But you imagine the 'older you' will be some different 'grown up' version of yourself. You're never prepared for the fact that it's always the same you.
    The Star Wars you liked as a kid, the music you headbanged to as a teenager, you still love it when you're forty. Being forty feels exactly like being fifteen. It's always the same 'you'.
    Though obvious, younger people don't count on this. I didn't when I was young. I always thought the 'older me' would be some 'grown up' person, adjusted to time, adult like and advanced.
    At 38, I never counted on the fact that I'd essentially feel exactly the same now as I did when I was fifteen. All the stuff I liked as a teenager I still like now. I didn't "grow up" in the way I thought I would. I'm the same person. And what scares me the most, extrapolating upon this, is that when I'm eighty (if I ever live that long), it'll be exactly the same paradigm.
    I'll feel the same way as I always did but the body will have aged. "Strapped to a dying animal" as Yeats would say.
    As I inadvertantly approach 'middle age', I suddenly notice something. I notice something that all people of my age have always been noticing; something young people many times miss.
    You are always the same 'self'. The self that never grows old. It's always you, watching time pass.
    It's the body that ages.
    And I'm the same 'me' as I've always been. Right?

Advertisement