Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to new York... Where to get cheapest iPad?

• 15-03-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a IPad when in new York.
    I've heard the are much cheaper there so just wondering if there's a particular store/chain that's best value.
    Havent decided which model but I'd be happy with a 2 if they still available.
    Thanks
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Apple store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

Apple Store on 5th Avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Buy the mini. Sold my iPad 2 for the mini and I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks all... Prob an obvious question!!... But no harm in askin... Will look at the mini sure but think I want the iPad. Just here now tis snowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Now just a suggestion, Best buy sometimes have open box deals or clearance deals. If you go in you could ask them...Actually sometimes you might get 20 dollars off in store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I hear they are very strict on Apple products coming back to Ireland in peoples luggage these days and you get stung for duty on them.

Anyone else heard that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    I hear they are very strict on Apple products coming back to Ireland in peoples luggage these days and you get stung for duty on them.

Anyone else heard that?

God I hope not......Mac pro 15inch on its way back next week via relatives...:mad:

Got it from Best buy with Open Box thing they have...Got great discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

mad m wrote: »
    God I hope not......Mac pro 15inch on its way back next week via relatives...:mad:

Got it from Best buy with Open Box thing they have...Got great discount.

I heard there was an article about it in the paper recently about them cracking down on the tablets and phones and stuff. At least with them you can take them out of the box and pretend they are not new. Might be a scenario with the Macbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

You can also buy from the online refurb store and pick up in store. Handy if you're on a budget.

Re. Customs, you are allowed to bring in up to €430 worth of goods before paying vat. Clearly the ipad is worth more so if they see it they will look at everything you bought abroad and charge you 25% on the total minus €430. You may have to pay import duties too (not on ipad but on clothes and other items). Big risk of being caught if it's boxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Do they go by the Irish price or the US price for the iPad. i.e. the price you paid for it in the states or the purchase price here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

dingding wrote: »
    Do they go by the Irish price or the US price for the iPad. i.e. the price you paid for it in the states or the purchase price here.

Irish price. It's the value (here) rather than the price you paid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rascasse wrote: »
    You can also buy from the online refurb store and pick up in store. Handy if you're on a budget.

Re. Customs, you are allowed to bring in up to €430 worth of goods before paying vat. Clearly the ipad is worth more so if they see it they will look at everything you bought abroad and charge you 25% on the total minus €430. You may have to pay import duties too (not on ipad but on clothes and other items). Big risk of being caught if it's boxed.

If you get caught over the allowance, everything is subject to VAT /Duty, not just anything after €430.

Advertisement