Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Dundalk to close.

Options
  • 15-03-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Sad to hear that Harvey Norman are to close their Dundalk store.Best of luck in the future to those to those who are losing their jobs as a result :(
    Harvey Norman Ireland has announced that it is to close its furniture and bedding clearance outlet in Dundalk Retail Park as of Monday, June 17, 2013. The remaining staff at the outlet were informed of the company’s decision on(last) Friday evening.....

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/business/dundalk-business/harvey-norman-to-close-1-4886989

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Shame about the loss of jobs however the closure is no big loss. It's run down, dirty and about as useful as tits on a bull. The outlet idea never worked and frankly was a nice way of winding it down anyway. I'm surprised they're allowed out of their lease though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Was always going to happen when they downgraded it to an 'outlet' tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

IIRC, it was the first HN in Ireland, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Could see it coming. A while back they closed down their large electronics section which was the best thing about the place and kept the furniture section open. Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Pity about the jobs, not about the store - perhaps we'll get something good to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

How does that retail park do - I could see HN leaving as last time I was in it was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

IIRC, it was the first HN in Ireland, wasn't it?

Dublin(Blanchardstown?) store first then Dundalk a short time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The Guvnor wrote: »
    How does that retail park do - I could see HN leaving as last time I was in it was disappointing.

It's filling back up again. Some pointless places still but Home Store and More went in there recently and they are doing quite well (whilst bringing custom in)

I won't miss Harvey. I never found them overly competitive when they were in full swing tbh.

I am assuming that they've found an anchor tenant to replace themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

No Harvey Norman where settled awhile before they opened blanch they took over the old esb shop.first store was out of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wils110 wrote: »
    No Harvey Norman where settled awhile before they opened blanch they took over the old esb shop.first store was out of Dublin
    Dundalk and Airside opened at the same time.

Not surprised it's going. Never made a profit from day one, was not competitive and had poor customer service. The rest of their Irish stores will probably go in the next three years.

The retail park seems to be busy without any great draw to HN

• Advertisement
Advertisement