Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet room - no bath - would this put you off buying?

Options
  • 16-03-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    If you were buying a one bed / one bathroom apartment and there was a wet room only ie no bath would this put you off?

I'm thinking of changing my bathorrm to a wet room and wonder if it will have a negative affect on the resale value of my apartment?

I posted a similar question on the Interior Design forum but thought I'd get a better response here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I don't like wet rooms.

It's easier to clean a more contained space.

In a wet room, stuff goes all over the place.

So, yes, a wet room would put me off buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Wetrooms are great.
    We have one and it is really easy to clean.

The only minor concern is if you have a baby,
    you will need to buy a baby bath for washing.
    We bought one of those fold up baths for baby so it is a non issue for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EllaC

The only minor concern is if you have a baby,
    you will need to buy a baby bath for washing.
    We bought one of those fold up baths for baby so it is a non issue for us.

It's a one bed apartment, so in terms of resale it's unlikely to appeal to anyone with a baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No bath = no children basically. But a one bedroom apt isn't going to aimed at the family market anyway.

As long as it is done right, drained properly an easy to clean, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Id imagine when water rates are introduced, lots of people will be removing baths.dont like wet rooms myself,but the lack of a bath wouldn't deter me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would prefer a good quality wetroom but the big thing for me is the shower. A cheap electric shower puts me off because Landlords wont replace them until they're totally dead... which is usually a year after it starts losing pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I would expect to see a bathroom. A wet room's OK for an en-suite, but not as the only or main bathroom. It needs to be good quality and as the poster above says needs to be installed properly which so few of them are.

So, no. That would be a big red flag to me. Same as houses which only have showers and no bathroom. That's a show-stopper as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Would cost no more than €500 to plumb in a quality bath in a wet room so I recon it would not put many people off IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

It depends how big the bathroom was? If it was going to be a very cramped bathroom then I'd be more inclined to go down the shower/wet room route.
    I hate baths that are of the bath shower combo type and baths that are cramped.
    If it makes your bathroom look bigger and you do a good job, id rather that than a crappy cramped bathroom.

Big Davey wrote: »
    Would cost no more than €500 to plumb in a quality bath in a wet room so I recon it would not put many people off IMHO.

It may not be possible in a small room unless you could shower while standing in the bath. I wouldn't like a wet room to be too big because you're going to spend too long cleaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A true wetroom has no separation whatsoever and generally proves difficult in everyday use. I would remove the bath and use a large glass screen (floor to ceiling) to create a wet space in half the bathroom - this is what I have in my ensuite and it's fantastic. It could hold 5 people comfortably but means the loo, towels, sink etc don't get wet. A good shower unit (not some Mira on demand thing) with strong water pressure and an added on hand unit (to reach awkward areas) makes it perfect. Don't forget to include good shelves. Most apartment boilers don't produce enough hot water for a bath, anyway.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Most apartment boilers don't produce enough hot water for a bath, anyway.

We have a oil combi boiler that can produce hot water non stop until the oil runs out. The pressure is better than a cheap electrical shower. Its worth checking what there is in place already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

We have a oil combi boiler that can produce hot water non stop until the oil runs out. The pressure is better than a cheap electrical shower. Its worth checking what there is in place already.

That's good and undoubetdly correct. Many apartments now also have pumps which aid pressure. However, some still have electric immersions and thus not a continuous supply (even if pumped). Those apartments often have electrical showers (such as Miras) which I find awful. Better connect a pump to the boiler/immersion and let that do the job.

Marcusm wrote: »
    That's good and undoubetdly correct. Many apartments now also have pumps which aid pressure. However, some still have electric immersions and thus not a continuous supply (even if pumped). Those apartments often have electrical showers (such as Miras) which I find awful. Better connect a pump to the boiler/immersion and let that do the job.

Agreed. And the only thing worse than a Mira shower is a Mira shower plumbed to the hot water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Combis are well suited to showers and poorly suited to baths because they typically have high (mains) pressure behind them but low flow rates because the water needs to pass slowly through the boiler or it won't heat up enough. Low flow rates mean long wait times when drawing a bath. It's a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭CK73

I love wet rooms, but it is really important to get one with proper drainage, or they can be a pain in the neck. If you get a good one put in, then I would see it as an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

EllaC wrote: »
    ... If you were buying a one bed / one bathroom apartment and there was a wet room only ie no bath would this put you off?...
    Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: I'm not in the market for a one-bed apartment, but if I were, I wouldn't like to have only a wet room. I'm happy with a straightforward shower cubicle, and would think a wet room to be too much bother. I'd also not think it the best option for a bathroom that visitors might use.

I'd hazard a guess that converting your only bathroom to a wet room would put some potential purchasers off, and would not attract enough other people to make it a commercially-sound investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: I'm not in the market for a one-bed apartment, but if I were, I wouldn't like to have only a wet room. I'm happy with a straightforward shower cubicle, and would think a wet room to be too much bother. I'd also not think it the best option for a bathroom that visitors might use.

I'd hazard a guess that converting your only bathroom to a wet room would put some potential purchasers off, and would not attract enough other people to make it a commercially-sound investment.

I would 100% agree with this, while a wet room is great, only if it contains a seperate bath or there is an additional bathroom, I think they can be amazing for an ensuite but not as the single bathroom. The only room I ever had like that was a questionable hotel in Germany that was accessed by an outside spiral staircase, the wall was all glass with a glazed door and if the bulbs were red would have been very like a brothel, nice bathroom but didn't quite work tbh.

Advertisement