Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Swim or wetsuit? Yes, there is a question logic!

Options
  • 16-03-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Strange title I know!

Got a voucher for Crimbo to buy a wetsuit but given the following:

1. I am leaving to a hotter country where triathlons will most likely be non wetsuit in June,

2. The triathlon I have chose as my first in Dublin is a pool based triathlon,

I am now considering that a wetsuit will be a pointless purchase at present. Obviously I need to use my voucher before I leave so was thinking a Garmin Swim would be a useful training addition. Or is it just a bit of an unnecessary gimmick?

PS based on threads here I have signed up to the Fingal triathlon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

JohnBee wrote: »
    Strange title I know!

Got a voucher for Crimbo to buy a wetsuit but given the following:

1. I am leaving to a hotter country where triathlons will most likely be non wetsuit in June,

2. The triathlon I have chose as my first in Dublin is a pool based triathlon,

I am now considering that a wetsuit will be a pointless purchase at present. Obviously I need to use my voucher before I leave so was thinking a Garmin Swim would be a useful training addition. Or is it just a bit of an unnecessary gimmick?

PS based on threads here I have signed up to the Fingal triathlon!

Garmins are junk. Had a Garmin swim returned it after a day - both functionality and fogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Garmins are junk. Had a Garmin swim returned it after a day - both functionality and fogging.

On the flipside, Garmin's are ace. My Garmin Swim is a great piece of kit;)

If you're targeting a pool Tri followed by non-wetsuit OW Tri's, get the Garmin Swim, can't see any use for the wetsuit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Garmins are great. Get a Garmin 910xt... I got one for Christmas and I love it, gimmick perhaps but it definitely encourages me to get out and train and try beat my previous cycle, run or swim!

I'm only doing my first triathlon in April and I've never used a tri wetsuit but if it was me I'd get the 910xt and HR strap!

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Awesome replies.

So, to summarise, Garmins are great, Garmins are crap :)

Anyway given that I am just dying for a new gadget will probably make the mistake and go buy one!

Will keep you posted!

• Advertisement

Awesome replies.

So, to summarise, Garmins are great, Garmins are crap :)

Anyway given that I am just dying for a new gadget will probably make the mistake and go buy one!

Will keep you posted!

Keep the box and receipt.

Keep the box and receipt.

Lol I will!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you're not going to use a wetsuit don't buy a wetsuit. With one caveat. Where are you going to practice ow swimming? (You should definitely practice). If its in our temperate climes, then a wetsuit is necessary.

A garmin is a nice gadget, I just got one and I love it, so far. No fogging issues here... so far... But I swam for 3 years without one, I just got good at counting lengths and reading a pool clock. It is useful but not essential.

PS For whatever reason, Tunney and Garmin do not go together, I dont think you can really blame either completely.

Oryx wrote: »
    If you're not going to use a wetsuit don't buy a wetsuit. With one caveat. Where are you going to practice ow swimming? (You should definitely practice). If its in our temperate climes, then a wetsuit is necessary.

A garmin is a nice gadget, I just got one and I love it, so far. No fogging issues here... so far... But I swam for 3 years without one, I just got good at counting lengths and reading a pool clock. It is useful but not essential.

PS For whatever reason, Tunney and Garmin do not go together, I dont think you can really blame either completely.

Oryx I sensed the tension between the two alright!

With regards to OW, I think I will wait til I an in my warmer destination, until then it's NAC and work towards the Fingal triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michaelReed

I give up.

Please do

• Advertisement

Please do

Well since someone on boards wants me to I better. First time anyone on boards has ever been mean to me. I just don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Please do
    Well since someone on boards wants me to I better. First time anyone on boards has ever been mean to me. I just don't know what to do.

Mod hat on: If you two want to swing your hangbags at each other there is an off topic thread for that kind of nonsense. No need to derail this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Garmin Swim would be a useful training addition. Or is it just a bit of an unnecessary gimmick?

Garmin Swim is an unnecessary gimmick (most pools are a fixed length and have a wall clock) but at the same time its a useful training tool (you can forget about counting and focus on working).

I've one and the only issue I have with it is I don't use it enough. :(

Whether you'll need a wetsuit or not in the future you will still be swimming in a pool a some point in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I give up.

I'm with the others, i've never had a problem with my 305 over the last 3 yrs. Perhaps theres someone in garmin who is out to get you ?

I'm with the others, i've never had a problem with my 305 over the last 3 yrs. Perhaps theres someone in garmin who is out to get you ?

Eventually everyone comes round to my way of thinking on this one.

(But the change in manufacturing is in the last 2-3 years so if your unit is from before then (like my old 310xt) then they aren't affected)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Eventually everyone comes round to my way of thinking on this one.

(But the change in manufacturing is in the last 2-3 years so if your unit is from before then (like my old 310xt) then they aren't affected)

Ya mine is one of the older units so fingers crossed i won't have to deal with problems for a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I have a 910xt and I think its great, as mentioned I dont use it in the pool though, just keep an eye on the clock.

Whats wrong with getting a garmin AND a wetsuit, this triathlon malarky ain't cheap.

So...initial experience:

First day, 50m pool, for some reason was measuring every length as 100m.

Hmm, was Tunney right?

Went home and updated firmware, next day all is well, measuring perfectly once stroke and push off is consistent.

This evening did some drills, followed by a planned 1200m main set, cut short half way by a terrible pain in one ear, whats with that! (went after a half minute rest).

So ended up doing a 700m and an 800m.

It earned its use here, I had in my head that the second set was 750, but measured actually 800 (checked lap times when I got home so all is correct). This was my initial problem, after about the first 10 lengths in longer sets I always lose track of my counts and as a result the chat in my head goes like this "was that 300 or 350? Hmm to be sure better say 250".

As for why no wetsuit AND Garmin? In addition to Cyprus, I am also having recessionary budget constraints!

Advertisement