Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 16-03-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all just looking for a bit of advice

I was working for a company for 5 years and without going into too much detail I was left go for a breach of trust, Before I was left go I was suspended with pay for 6 months an during that time I had 4 meetings with the company ( with my union rep ).

I did not believe I broke any rules as I never recieved training for the sitituin that arised that eventually got me fired and company admitted they hand nothing in their rule book to say I could not do what I did but it was just expected that I should know.

So here is where I need the advice, I brought them for unfair dismissal and they recently contacted my union to see would I settle out of court ( which I was willing to ) now I was on 30k per annum so how much of a settlement should I push for is the 1st question and secondly is a question regards a what I should say to a company during a interview.

I have been to a few interviews since and the question arises why did I leave last job, now being I usually give a BS answer but is it better being honest during interview as they will probably ring for a reference anyway?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Never tell a prospective employer that you sued for unfair dismissal, HR will bin your CV immediately as you will be seen as a high risk employee.

I would also not advise sending any prospective employer to them for a reference, even if they just state the facts of your departure with no negative comments it will kill your reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ya thought as much by not saying to any future employer that I have an unfair dismissal case pending and you say not to send and perspective employer to them but unfortuantly this is not my choice as they will just contact them anyway ( especially as I am looking to stay in the same field ).

But still no answer to my question should I be honest in a interview and say I was left go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

so how much of a settlement should I push for is the 1st question

That's a question your union or solicitor should answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Is there any of the managers in the office who you still have respect for and would give you a good reference. Don't have requests going in blind to the old company.

As you said - the reason for dismissal was unclear and you hadn't been trained.

If you go to an interview - give the name, phone number, email address, and address of this ONE particular person.

The other option is to give the address of a previous employer and say that you are still working for the present company and are unwilling for them to go to them for a reference.

Get a part time job - i.e. a pub in evenings. So could give a current reference and then an old one as don't want to let your 'current' company know you are moving.

No outright lying...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Did you give away customers credit card numbers for a bag of taytos or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the advice I have managed to pick up part time work as advised and will use them as a reference in the future.

Also since my last post as part of my unfair dismissal case the company in question has agreed to give me a written character reference along with a sum of money.

I can't go into what I did as it would not be hard to find out who the company is but been honest I think they just wanted me out as a new manager started a couple of months before I was let go and we did not see eye to eye and used this as an excuse

Advertisement