Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it my fault? Broken / Faulty eGo batteries

Options
  • 16-03-2013 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Hi ya'll

Recently I bought two eGo batteries (like... a 4-5 weeks ago) both eGo twists so probably cost about €45 for the two and they're both screwed already.

One of them the button is pushed into the body and it's stuck inside.

The other the center 'pin' on one of them looks like it's either missing a piece or it's been severely worn down.

I've attached one pic of the center pins as it's pretty clear and two pics of the buttons as they were harder to photograph.

I'm asking this because I'm unfortunately reluctant to get eGo batteries any more. Either I'm breaking them, or they're quality control during manufacturing isn't good. How can I break two in such a short time? I really like eGo batteries and want to buy them but am afraid to. I don't want to have to keep sending them back to the vendors either in case it's actually my fault. All these things going through my head. Wondering if anyone has any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

On the one that looks worn down, does the tank or whatever you have on top look slightly off centre? if it has been dropped it might have been knocked a milimeter or 2 off centre and when you now go to screw a tank on top it will grind it slightly. Should still work.

The button issue has only ever happened to me once, when someone else dropped my battery. How did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

The stuck button is an easy fix.

You will need to pull the bottom switch off carefully and also the top section. Mind the wires while you do this. The button just kinda lays on top of the tiny circuit board. It can be a pain to get it positioned correctly but it can be done.

I've had to do it for a load of friends in work.

The brass contact on the other battery looks like it's either gunked up (try to give it a good clean) or worn down by excessive tightening of whatever you had on it. You should only screw a device until it holds in place. Any tighter and you can feck up the battery or the atty.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Ah to be honest it's my brothers, not mine. Just thought I'd say it's mine for simplisty sake.

I'm looking for pointers / possibly reasons as to how this is happening to him. Thanks Superneat and DB for your suggestions and ideas, it's given me some food for thought, something I can go back to him with now and try to figure out.

DirtyBollox: the off center battery connector on the actual clearomisers could be the reason why. I've had a look at my eGo Twist and it's a little worn down too but not as bad.

Not sure how the button thing happened but it's happened to him a couple of times now. I've said to him is he pressing it down hard and he's said no. Even I press the eGo buttons down hard it doesn't seem to budge past a certain point. It would take same fairly excessive force to push the button all the way in.

When I had one of those cheap chinese knock off brands with the rubbery button they were easy enough for the button to get pushed into the body but the eGo I just don't see how it could happen. Perhaps he dropped it, I'll have to ask him. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Superneat: Thanks for the button fix tip. Maybe I'll give that a go. Perhaps it will help me understand how it's happening too if I actually pull on apart. I'll mind the wires cheers.

You've had to do it for a load of friends at work? So it's a common enough issue?

I'll mention to him about excessive tightening. Perhaps he can get one more eGo battery and be super careful and see how it goes... However seeing these problems, especially with the wearing down of the battery contact pin (I've noticed it happening on my one too) makes me believe the batteries will die first probably because of that issue, rather than the battery itself dying.

The only consolation is that Wingnut can get them repaired. Hopefully it's not too expensive and then if worst happens and things get worn down they can be replaced again.

Anyways, cheers for that info. I was quite keen to see how common these two issues are.

Battery pin getting worn down to where the battery won't charge anymore. (Anyone else having this issue?)

Buttons getting pushed into the body. (superneat let me know how many times you've seen this and if you think it's because of misuse or just cus that's the way eGo batteries are.) Thanks

It happens because some people have huge thumbs and when they say "I'm not pressing it that hard" they actually are! :P

If you do take it apart, you will see for yourself that by pressing the button with the correct amount of pressure, at the correct angle, ie "straight", should never dislodge the button, without it first having been "loosened" by a forceful or angled press of the button or more likely, being dropped on the ground. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

How about trying something like this http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/udtl.htm

Would need a 510-ego adapter for kangers etc but looks very sturdy and has the option of the two different size batteries

• Advertisement

Sept09baby: Yip, I actually told him to buy this UDT-L instead :)

Superneat: Thanks I'll take one apart and I'll see what you mean better.

sept09baby wrote: »
    How about trying something like this

LoL, I actually bought one yesterday. Had to get a cheap backup device cause I sold all my other mods and the others I have bought have still to be delivered to me!

The wait is killing me, on the way to me now is an EA mod, a Brass Chi_you, a SS Vamo (regretted selling the one I had, bought another), and an IQ hybrid.

The UDT-L looks about the nicest though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Superneat, about the ss vamo, is it brushed ss or polished? Saw some on Chinese sites and they looked brushed, think they were called the bamboo, but everywhere else seems to be polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

superneat wrote: »
    LoL, I actually bought one yesterday. Had to get a cheap backup device cause I sold all my other mods and the others I have bought have still to be delivered to me!

The wait is killing me, on the way to me now is an EA mod, a Brass Chi_you, a SS Vamo (regretted selling the one I had, bought another), and an IQ hybrid.

The UDT-L looks about the nicest though :P

It looks great. Am going to have to wait til payday though (AGES AWAY!). ESI told me about them ages ago so have been dying for them to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Did you buy these on an Irish site? Because I got 2 from an Irish site 2 days ago and one is screwed already! [ego c] When the box arrived the seal was already broken, and it honestly looked like a used kit. I've emailed them about it, on the day, and 2 days later still no response. One of the rings on the atomizer bodies has screwed itself onto the battery side and will not budge, because of this it cannot be charged. Very unimpressed with the state the kit was in for starters, and now this. I'm very careful with any gear I buy, and this set is no exception. I didn't over tighten or anything like that. I'll be returning it, and if they don't send a replacement, well, that'll be one site marked off the list!

• Advertisement

He did get them off Irish sites and they looked brand spanking new when I got them. I doubt it's the fault of the vendors, as he's gotten a few from different vendors over time, three in total, and I'm sure one from each has probably gone faulty. Could be his fault from over tightening, using a clearo with a lopsided battery connector, pressing the button on an angle? God I dunno. There must be some reason for it.

I will get to the bottom of it.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Superneat, about the ss vamo, is it brushed ss or polished? Saw some on Chinese sites and they looked brushed, think they were called the bamboo, but everywhere else seems to be polished.

Polished. V2, upgraded spring, €27 delivered from China and it's the Vamo not the Bamboo.

StickyIcky wrote: »
    He did get them off Irish sites and they looked brand spanking new when I got them. I doubt it's the fault of the vendors, as he's gotten a few from different vendors over time, three in total, and I'm sure one from each has probably gone faulty. Could be his fault from over tightening, using a clearo with a lopsided battery connector, pressing the button on an angle? God I dunno. There must be some reason for it.

I will get to the bottom of it.

I've bought from 4 Irish vendors, 3 - no bothers, 1 - what looked like a used kit, and that kit is now giving me troubles. That's why I wouldn't name the site, it's not all their fault, could be badly manufactured - though they are genuine joyetech. I just expected better for the money. I spent €100 on there to kick off, and now can only use one of the batts

The images you posted, it looks like pressing too hard on the button, but you'd think they could take some hard pressing?

The images you posted, it looks like pressing too hard on the button, but you'd think they could take some hard pressing?

That's what I'm saying. But like superneat says once I take one apart I'll probably figure it out for myself. I'll figure it out.

Just wanna know if anyone else has this stuff happen to them.

Sound like your issue isn't entirely related. i.e. it's not a battery connector or button issue. It sounds like a not new battery issue. Try contacting them again, if that fails perhaps a written letter. In any issue I'd assume they're at least obligated to formally respond to your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I've had nothing but issues with Ego-C Twist batteries. Got 3, only one charges, and sometimes it appears to be charging and isn't.

From an Irish vendor also for 2 of them, and a friend gave me the other, and it is also defective. It is from a different Irish vendor.

I spent a lot of money on non-working kit. Maybe we should have a reliability / repairability / breakability matrix or something for these things. It gave me the flimsy excuse I needed to start pounding in the analogues again. Going to get a whole new kit once I have a few bob to my name.

Thanks Ross. The non charging issue is probably due to the center pin in the battery connector having some issue. Either it's been pushed down to far and won't come back up (so try to will it up with a pin or small stick of some kind) or it's been worn down. Feel free to take a couple of photos and post them here see if anyone can pin point what the issue is.

My bro ended up getting the UDT-L and two batteries and a charger. It feels a lot more solid (it's bigger and metal) so hopefully that sorts him out.

That being said I'm still left wonder about the relability of the eGo batteries. How common are these issues is one question I'm left with.

Another question I'm left with are their alternatives to the eGo batteries and are the more reliable in terms of button and center post. (I've heard of kGo batteries and even seem the Kanger eVod batteries recently. Maybe I'll try and source one of those next time for experimentation purposes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

That is my concern also. A new kit isn't cheap and I'm fairly stuck for money. I don't want to outlay another 70 odd quid for something I can't use.

I'm tempted to pop into Ovale this afternoon and see what they can do for me. I've found vaping extremely aggitating. When it works it's great, but it's so unreliable and leaky etc that it just doesn't work for me day to day. I've been given a bunch of recommendations now to look into, but I'm really not sure what will just work day to day without me having to have an electronic engineering masters to use.

Live update: (lol) I popped into ovale and got an ego C batt (small 650 one), couple of new clearomisers (I'm going to use then dispose) and a new charger. So this is the proper test, I should have 2 or 3 clearos now, 2 x eGo twist batts (one works.. I think) and the new battery now, 2 chargers! Fingers crossed this is enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Get a Mechanical Mod

Basically these types of Ecigs have just one moving part, the switch, and Zero other Electronics that can go bad.

Basically they are a battery holder with an on/off switch = Less to go wrong, they arent any bigger than an Ego in height however will be a lil thicker.

Some decent batteries and a charger will be 20 euro and you can use it with your existing atomizer.

The one below is my telescope pictured beside an Ego 1100mah, it can use any type of 510 atomizer without any additional adaptors and connectors.

There are many other ones out there and they are reasonable like the UDT-L mentioned above, and some are even smaller. Many will require an ego-adaptor for various tanks and clearomizers though.

8486421951_e976bfe570.jpg

If you want something solid you can chuck around and not worry too much about breaking its the way to go I reckon.

Where did you get the telescope in that styling? Looks cool.

Over here in the Philippines, they are pretty abundant all over the world now though, its a Sigelei.

Thinking I might go for one of these next though....IMHO they look cleaner.

p1120032e.jpg
    p1120067i.jpg

This one is gorgeous, tiny - but three times the price almost ..

122120527_1220434693adee56a4a5c245672e4a418a0e460f3e3cdd97a.jpg

122120466_1220425294c3bd84beee827fa9a03b91d6ed07f7e905fb2c0.jpg

• Advertisement

I prefer the ones in the 2nd and 3rd pics. I don't like the ones with the sticky out buttons on the sides. They look like they'll get caught on stuff and tear a hole in my pants pockets. Gus 22 is and Gus Telescopic as sexy as hell in my opinion. The last one you posted is nice too and tiny with button on the bottom which I love.

The last one you posted is nice too and tiny with button on the bottom which I love.

The button action is something that needs to be felt to be believed on it ;) Ridiculously high workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Deevey, is it true that everyone in the Philippines is called Philip?

Advertisement