Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day out in Co. Cork

Options
  • 16-03-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Will be leaving the city and looking to spend the day in Co. Cork.

Don't really know any of the county. Looking for somewhere nice and scenic to go for the day, then somewhere nice to stay at night with good food etc.

So I'm open to anywhere in the county really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

My faves
    around clonakilty - ardfield, galley head, drumbeg, glandore
    kinsale - charlesfort and jamesfort
    bantry - beara and sheeps head peninsulas
    crookhaven - mizen head
    middleton - coast around ballycotton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I second Clonakilty- pop into the Sugán pub for a bite- it's lovely and very reasonably priced. I'd also recommend heading to Baltimore and getting a boat out to the islands if the weather's any way good.

What is it about the Siugan? People either love it or like me think its very average and overrated. I live in clon so ive eaten there loads of times and never been wowed. Would prefer richys or the malthouse within town or for fish deasys just out of town or poachers inn in bandon.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    What is it about the Siugan? People either love it or like me think its very average and overrated. I live in clon so ive eaten there loads of times and never been wowed. Would prefer richys or the malthouse within town or for fish deasys just out of town or poachers inn in bandon.

I love it :P Restaurants in Clonakilty tend to be overpriced, but there are also some good options in Union Hall

On the whole I wouldnt think they are overpriced (except inchadoney and maybe dunmore) but then id know what times the early bird menus finish etc but I would consider the siugan to be one of the worst - some lunch items are priced on the menu without including chips or whatever.

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    On the whole I wouldnt think they are overpriced (except inchadoney and maybe dunmore) but then id know what times the early bird menus finish etc but I would consider the siugan to be one of the worst - some lunch items are priced on the menu without including chips or whatever.
    That's the difference between being a local and being a casual visitor like the OP. Personally, I love the atmosphere and food in the suigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Siuin wrote: »
    That's the difference between being a local and being a casual visitor like the OP. Personally, I love the atmosphere and food in the suigan.

Like the earlier poster, I don't see the attraction of the Sugan at all, prices are reasonable but the food is only very average and the service was dire the last time I was there. I'd definitely go for the Malthouse, Richy's or Inchydoney bar (especially their fantastic seafood spagetti).

Advertisement