Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a switch turn on/off another switch

Options
  • 16-03-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I tried googling this but I wasn't quite sure what to search for.

What I am trying to do is make a basic light switch turn on a timer. When this timer reaches 00:00, I want it to turn on another switch which will trigger a wireless buzzer and turn on a LED (in another room).

So basically when the timer finishes, I need the current from the timer to trigger another switch.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

An adjustable timer relay will do this for you.
    The live out from your switch connects to the coil of the relay. After the set time that output will switch NO or NC as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

james142 wrote: »
    I tried googling this but I wasn't quite sure what to search for.

What I am trying to do is make a basic light switch turn on a timer. When this timer reaches 00:00, I want it to turn on another switch which will trigger a wireless buzzer and turn on a LED (in another room).

So basically when the timer finishes, I need the current from the timer to trigger another switch.

Any ideas?

Any decent timeswitch will do the job.

Go to you local wholesalers and as for multi function timer and a retractive switch.

How you trigger the wireless buzzer will be the hard part. A wireless impulse switch will do it but not every wholesaler will have one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its a low voltage buzzer you could use a second relay with a mains coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

KoolKid wrote: »
    An adjustable timer relay will do this for you.
    The live out from your switch connects to the coil of the relay. After the set time that output will switch NO or NC as required.
    LeBash wrote: »
    Any decent timeswitch will do the job.

Go to you local wholesalers and as for multi function timer and a retractive switch.

I will go looking for some of these today. Doesn't sound too complicated :)
    LeBash wrote: »
    How you trigger the wireless buzzer will be the hard part. A wireless impulse switch will do it but not every wholesaler will have one.

Well what I am currently using is an old wireless doorbell modified to what I need it to do. So when the doorbell is pressed, it will send current to the buzzer rather than the doorbell chime. All I needed to to figure out with this part was how to trigger that button using electric current :)

Advertisement