Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction of new filling station in Tramore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Sully wrote: »
    I see that there is a proposed development at the Summerville Roundabout (well, just above it) to build a small petrol station with a small shop and cafe. Was given permission by WCC but was appealed to An Bord Pleanala. Due to be deiced in February. If it gets the go ahead, that would make three petrol stations in Tramore. Do we need more?!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/241626.htm
    http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=12429&LASiteID=0

Is that the rounad about between the two petrol stations that are already there? wont that be 4 petrol stations with 3 on the same stretch of road?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hijpo wrote: »
    Is that the rounad about between the two petrol stations that are already there? wont that be 4 petrol stations with 3 on the same stretch of road?

The road behind the first of the two petrol stations. At Summervile roundabout, take the first exit and then at the next roundabout do the same. On the left is your site.

But yeah, 3 stations in the one area. A quieter of the two roads so not sure the logic. I doubt Super Valu will develop their own petrol station but they have planning (may have expired, not sure) also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 donaloflynn

What a ridiculous idea, Tramore is more than adequately served by petrol stations already. Surely Pickardstown, Riverstown and Tesco are more than enough. It's laughable when you consider that Kilmeaden had no petrol station for a while, and Portlaw still doesn't have one.

From my viewing of the planning documents you linked to, it's not the road behind, it's right across from the Summerville picnic area and entrance to the estate. "The road behind" would be the hill up towards the racecourse on which the only empty land is the racecourse filed/carpark. That junction is dangerous enough already with cars coming out from the one way system next to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What a ridiculous idea, Tramore is more than adequately served by petrol stations already. Surely Pickardstown, Riverstown and Tesco are more than enough. It's laughable when you consider that Kilmeaden had no petrol station for a while, and Portlaw still doesn't have one.

From my viewing of the planning documents you linked to, it's not the road behind, it's right across from the Summerville picnic area and entrance to the estate. "The road behind" would be the hill up towards the racecourse on which the only empty land is the racecourse filed/carpark. That junction is dangerous enough already with cars coming out from the one way system next to it.

It appears to be built on the road behind but there is an entrance on the main road (across from the picnic area) and on the back road (towards the Racecourse).

Look at page 3 of the drawings (http://193.178.2.69/idocsweb/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=152933&format=djvu)

The only access to the back road that I can see belongs to the private house behind the forecourt, the grounds of the house and the forecourt are separated by shrubbery. Only entrance to the forecourt is across from the picnic area. I note that the existing grass area is left untouched, but I would still say (and its only semantics really), that the garage is built on the main road, not the back road.

• Advertisement

It's worth noting also that back in 2008 there was a different planning application for the same site (the last house before the roundabout) relating to:
    the demolition of an existing dwelling and the construction of a mixed use 4 storey commercial building comprising a local bank, a bookmakers, a pharmacy, 2 No. retail/service units, and a public house on the ground floor, a medical centre/consulting rooms, a health/leisure facility, and 5 No. offices which may also be used for the provision of services principally to visiting members of the public on the first floor, 5 No. apartments and 10 No. duplex apartments on the second and third floors, car parking, totem signage, services areas, landscaping and all associated site works.
    Permission was granted by the county council but overturned by An Bord Pleanála.

In my opinion that would have been even more unsuitable for the area and sounds a lot like what we now have at Summerhill, only on a bigger scale.

Look at page 3 of the drawings (http://193.178.2.69/idocsweb/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=152933&format=djvu)

The only access to the back road that I can see belongs to the private house behind the forecourt, the grounds of the house and the forecourt are separated by shrubbery. Only entrance to the forecourt is across from the picnic area. I note that the existing grass area is left untouched, but I would still say (and its only semantics really), that the garage is built on the main road, not the back road.

Page 1 of the planning maps has the red line showing the site - the green area out front on the main road and the blue line showing the building which is closer to the back road than the main road, no?

Page 2 seems to show (its been years since I studied plans, so open to correction) the building on the side of Graun Hill and a roadway up from the main road to the site (labelled tarmac). The station doesn't appear to be on the same level as the existing filling stations. The same page appears to show an opening just above the roundabout on Graun Hill.

See picture. Red Circle is the filling station on the hill, blue circle is the road up from the main road across from the picnic area and the green circle is the extra entrance.

mapmw.jpg

You're looking at the wrong map. The one you've annotated is a survey of the site as it is today, you need to look at the map on the next page (page 3) which shows that they're not using the existing driveway, they're building a new road to the left of it and making the current driveway grass again. The house, which you have circled in red is not being knocked down, all of the building work is going on in front of (and therefore lower down than) it. Look at it on Google Streetview and you'll get the idea. The road you have circled in green won't be accessible if the station is built.

It also looks to me as if they're taking some of the green space on the corner, but not all of it. There's no way the forecourt would fit in the existing garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Technically we have 2 petrol stations in the town since 2 of the 3 are owned by the same person I think it will be good and might just lead to some competition for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

shanemul wrote: »
    Technically we have 2 petrol stations in the town since 2 of the 3 are owned by the same person I think it will be good and might just lead to some competition for once.

Do you really need competion when 1 of them is already cheaper than most in waterford?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Do you really need competion when 1 of them is already cheaper than most in waterford?

Couldn't agree more! Tesco spiced things up competition wise at the start but now its just a one horse race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Got to agree, Farrells are one of the cheapest in the country. Just a question, how many petrol stations are in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Got to agree, Farrells are one of the cheapest in the country. Just a question, how many petrol stations are in Dungarvan.

6 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

This will mean there is palnning for 3 more petrol stations in Tramore as well as the existing 3. It must be the only town in the country where the number of filling stations is likely to rise.

Advertisement