Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Varg Vikernes really kill Euronymous in self defence?

Options
  • 16-03-2013 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I watched Until the Light Takes us and read Varg's account of what happened. Based on that you would be pretty compelled to believe that he attacked Euronymous in self defence, lost the head a bit and killed him, but otherwise it wasn't premeditated. Then I watched Once Upon a Time in Norway and now I'm not so convinced by Varg's story. I think if he knew anything about Euronymous, which he did, he would know that Euronymous was mostly bluster and very little substance. So I think he killed him because killing people at the time in the BM scene accorded status, eg Faust, and Varg wanted that and probably got too drawn into his Viking warrior imaginary persona. Euronymous' death threat was just the excuse to act on these factors. The problem with the case is that the Norweigian establishment probably had it out for him, with the whole church burnings thing and the political rejection of Norweigian society. So the facts may have been twisted, eg glass fragment wounds being turned into 24 stab wounds. However, if you read Varg's account it's quite chilling, he said he kept stabbing him from behind as he was running away screaming, so who is to say he didn't stab him 24 times, rather than the 4 he claimed, if he was capable of doing that in the first place to someone who was in retreat and posed no threat? Also the way he boasts about having covered his tracks after the murder makes me think he is a total sociopath such that anything he says has to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Count Dicksplash is full of sh*t, always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

lol, that was funny

Just to add I think Once Upon a Time in Norway goes some way to de-mythicising the black metal scene and exploring the real motivations behind the actions of it's members. In that sense it's way more informative than Until the Light Takes Us which basically gives Varg's side of the story, that said Until the Light Takes Us is a bit more varied in it subject matter whereas Once Upon A Time in Norway is very specific about Mayhem and Aarseth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

A bunch of idiots acting the idiot.

Some good music.

A lot of bull**** surrounding the "second wave".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Also the way he boasts about having covered his tracks after the murder makes me think he is a total sociopath such that anything he says has to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Did'nt do a very good job of covering them though did he, our count grimlock?

• Advertisement

True, but he said Snorre was the 'weak link' in the chain and basically confessed to the police that it was Varg that did it when he was threatened by them with prison? I think? I can't remember. He was boasting about how he washed off the clothes in the river and they couldn't find them as evidence. Then he said that he was pursued by a police car in a high speed chase just after the murder but managed to get away. What do you think of his newest albums? Has anyone read his book on sorcery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Also the way he boasts about having covered his tracks after the murder makes me think he is a total sociopath such that anything he says has to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

And the rest of it didn't make you suspect that?

Well, not all race hating arsonist murderers who believe in Odin are sociopaths but I see your point.

I think he comes across as an affable individual who is seriously misguided and suffers from paranoia, even though he says that he's not mentally ill. For example he attempted the prison break, hijacking a family's car and getting boxed in by the police in 2003 as he thought again that someone was trying to kill him, although it could have been real. He says he doesn't hate anyone but there is a serious amount of hate coming from his world views and I'm wondering where does it all come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

he says that he's not mentally ill

Grand so.

• Advertisement

Just listening to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, great album, so much ferocity and defiance, the atmosphere is great and it perfectly combines the anti-music lo fi ethos of BM with good production, if such a thing is possible, in that it doesn't sound "produced", it definately has that raw quality, but it sounds good too, the guitar tones are nice, everything is well mixed. Prefer this atm to Varg's work, which has moments of brilliance but which imo are overshadowed by overlong tracks or his "unique vocal style" on the early Burzum releases.

Advertisement