Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is personal bankruptcy?

• 16-03-2013 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

can you still hold your job if you suffer personal bankruptcy? any other details would be great. just trying to understand it thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I would have thought so. How are you supposed to pay back anything if you're not allowed to work? However, I think that your income is severely restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mickm86 wrote: »
    can you still hold your job if you suffer personal bankruptcy? any other details would be great. just trying to understand it thanks

Yes, provided it is not a job which carries the condition that you not be an undischarged bankrupt. Some financial sector and professional jobs will contain provisions like this. Doesn't mean you can't work elsewhere, just not in those roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

Please note the new charter - you may not ask for or offer legal advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, you can keep your job unless, as others have said, it's a term of your employment contract that you not be bankrupted. As a bankrupt, you can't act as a company director, manager or auditor (without court permission).

The court will determine how much of your earnings from your job goes towards your creditors, and how much you get to keep to support yourself and your family.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

User closed account for some reason...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Shield wrote: »
    User closed account for some reason...

Apparently you cant keep your boards account if youre bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Resde

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes, you can keep your job unless, as others have said, it's a term of your employment contract that you not be bankrupted. As a bankrupt, you can't act as a company director, manager or auditor (without court permission).

The court will determine how much of your earnings from your job goes towards your creditors, and how much you get to keep to support yourself and your family.

Do you get to keep your house if you own one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Resde wrote: »
    Do you get to keep your house if you own one?
    If you own a family home, by yourself or with another person, the Official Assignee may only sell it with the prior permission of the court. Where this permission is sought, the court will balance the interests of your creditors against the interests of your family and may decide to postpone the sale of your home.

If you hold property jointly (for example, with your spouse) your bankruptcy will cause the joint ownership to be split between the Official Assignee and your non-bankrupt co-owner
    It's up to the court. Guessing that they are more likely to let you keep a modest three-bed semi than a McMansion.DO NOT LISTEN TO ME, TALK TO A SOLICITOR

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Resde

It's up to the court. Guessing that they are more likely to let you keep a modest three-bed semi than a McMansion.

Ok, here's where I'm coming from. I'm going to civil court and wondering will I be made sell my house if I lose the case? It's a very modest house and still have a mortgage to pay. I have no other money or assets. The court cost will probably be six figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Have a read about the functions of the Personal Insolvency Act guys, might not be a need to go bankrupt anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Resde wrote: »
    Ok, here's where I'm coming from. I'm going to civil court and wondering will I be made sell my house if I lose the case? It's a very modest house and still have a mortgage to pay. I have no other money or assets. The court cost will probably be six figures.
    You should ask your solicitor before you do anything that could put your home at risk. If you rely on the advice of random anonymous internet idiots (like me) you are likely to lose your home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement