Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistols In Clare

Options
  • 16-03-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Anybody know the situation with unrestricted pistols in Clare as in what is the attitude of the super in the Ennis area? Appreciate any info.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

boc121 wrote: »
    Anybody know the situation with unrestricted pistols in Clare as in what is the attitude of the super in the Ennis area? Appreciate any info.
    Cheers.

Once the pistol meets the legal requirements and you demonstrate your need to the super plus security arrangements, there shouldnt be a problem.

Super in Ennis is a decent fella and Ive never had a bad experience with him or the previous supers.

Lots of lads have got their pistols without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

What are the requirements for owing hand gun? do you need to be a member or a pistol club?
    Im guessing you cant just get 1 because you want to shoot a few targets out the back of your house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Target shooting is illegal with any firearm bar a shotgun unless on an authorized range, The only reason to own a pistol is for target shooting so yes you need to be a member of a range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I would have to say there is a blanket ban in Clare all pistols apps are going tru the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    O

Super in Ennis is a decent fella and Ive never had a bad experience with him or the previous supers.

Lots of lads have got their pistols without any hassle.

Not if it is the Cheif Super!!! He is on record from a DC case in Kerry and quoted in the press as saying he is totally opposed to ALL civillian firearms ownership.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not if it is the Cheif Super!!! He is on record from a DC case in Kerry and quoted in the press as saying he is totally opposed to ALL civillian firearms ownership.:(
    That's my experience, also chef is is over ruling the supers decisions on non restricted pistols applications, forcing them all into the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

I would have to say there is a blanket ban in Clare all pistols apps are going tru the courts.

That's what I'm hearing, I have other firearms and security and club membership but it sounds like none of this will matter. What are the results of these cases is he winning or losing? And what time length are we talking between app, refusal and court? Also what kind of costs ?
    Thanks for all info.

I was considering moving into limerick because of all the crap the chief super is causing, but was i told from a insider that the the chief is going to have to move back to limerick soon as he's looking to move up the ranks, all ill say is sooner the better. I believe if this happens, firearms will be the least of his worries and that some normality will return to the issuing of FACs in Clare.

Don't belive everything you hear either.
    Especially "insider" information in the Limerick/Clare areas on firearms too..Reckon 95% of it is total BS put out there to put the scares up people.:rolleyes:

The current cheif in Limerick is no better either..:( It seems that he wants to go a second round with all the CF pistol owners who won three years ago.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't a blanket ban illegal?

And another thing, with money being tight in An Garda Siochana, isn't forcing people to go to court to get a licence also wasting precious Garda resources.

I'm not saying give everyone a pistol who looks for one, but surely there must be some deserving people down that part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't a blanket ban illegal?
    If you can prove it, yes, it'd be in contempt of High and Supreme court ruling in Dunne.

Proving it though, that's the tricky bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

BattleCorp wrote: »

And another thing, with money being tight in An Garda Siochana, isn't forcing people to go to court to get a licence also wasting precious Garda resources.

What do they care , its not their money, its yours as a taxpayer. You would think with the amount of firearm related court cases - the nargc gunsafe case, the flood case, the mcveigh case , the brophy case and the cf pistols case last year to name just a few, that the gardai/doj have not just lost , but ended up looking like right lemons, they would have learned and do what most other european police forces do and obey the laws of the land ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I was considering moving into limerick because of all the crap the chief super is causing, but was i told from a insider that the the chief is going to have to move back to limerick soon as he's looking to move up the ranks, all ill say is sooner the better. I believe if this happens, firearms will be the least of his worries and that some normality will return to the issuing of FACs in Clare.

can you explain/elaborate why this would be the least of his worries by moving to Limerick:confused:

Proably because the drug gang/family feuds are ,bar the next up and coming gen of gurriers is 99% over?And there is about dozen restricted liscenses in the Limerick districts that can be easily refused on some grounds....Equals No problem.:rolleyes:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Proably because the drug gang/family feuds are ,bar the next up and coming gen of gurriers is 99% over?And there is about dozen restricted liscenses in the Limerick districts that can be easily refused on some grounds....Equals No problem.:rolleyes:

**** what a bull**** answer

can you explain/elaborate why this would be the least of his worries by moving to Limerick:confused:

Honestly I was told if moved into limerick and moved up a rank (to what rank i don't know) which looks lightly, he would just be to busy to be getting involved with firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

The current cheif in Limerick is no better either..:( It seems that he wants to go a second round with all the CF pistol owners who won three years ago.:rolleyes:
    I had dealings wit this chief super too and he is against pistols too. He told Me that himself in my interview and especially hates 9mm. I heard lots of stories about him since in court cases he was involved in <snip>

Mod: Lads, allegations without proof like that are grounds for defamation; if you have such proof, GSOC is where they should be sent anyway, not boards.ie.

**** what a bull**** answer

Well,if you can come up with a better one.....??

I was told if moved into limerick and moved up a rank (to what rank i don't know)
    From their own website Garda.ie Assistant Comissioner,two steps down from the top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Sorry for digging this thread up but my father is looking to get .22 pistol and its Ennis that we deal with. I was just wondering if Boc121 applied for the pistol license and got some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

I'm going to have a go but still waiting on a number for pistol. Seems to be none about S&W 617.

• Advertisement

Best of luck let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

juice1304 wrote: »
    Target shooting is illegal with any firearm bar a shotgun unless on an authorized range, The only reason to own a pistol is for target shooting so yes you need to be a member of a range.

link to that legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

just search the forums it has been done to death.

boc121 wrote: »
    I'm going to have a go but still waiting on a number for pistol. Seems to be none about S&W 617.

Have you tried Pat in the Alamo in Kerry...

nastros wrote: »
    Sorry for digging this thread up but my father is looking to get .22 pistol and its Ennis that we deal with. I was just wondering if Boc121 applied for the pistol license and got some good news.

Hopefully I'll have some good news on my .22 as its up before Ennis district on June 5th.

Chatting to my FO today he was saying that Ennis are lifting there ban on restricted firearms as there is a new Super.

Chatting to my FO today he was saying that Ennis are lifting there ban on restricted firearms as there is a new Super.

Going by your post it is not your jurisdiction am I correct, I can assure you as from 10 minutes ago his policy has not changed in relation to restricted firearms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

A .22 pistol isn't a restricted firearm though.

This is what he was saying to me I have no clue how true it is.

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    A .22 pistol isn't a restricted firearm though.

depends on the capacity

Advertisement