Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veg garden sprayed with roundup!!!!!!!!!

• 16-03-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

hi folks i was giving my uncle a hand today with his garden.
    he needed help to take the plastic of his ridges. he only used a this plastic and alot of the weeds and grass didnt die. i started pulling up the heaviest of the weeds and grass while he had to go to town.
    he came home with a big bottle of roundup and said he would spray the whole lot and dig out the weeds and roots in a few weeks.
    my question is. Is this safe??????
    please help cos knowing him he will leave it a couple of days and then start planting veg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

As long as he follows the instructions on the bottle and he ain't bothered about being organic then he will be fine. 2 days is not enough to wait more like two weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

padi89 wrote: »
    As long as he follows the instructions on the bottle and he ain't bothered about being organic then he will be fine. 2 days is not enough to wait more like two weeks
    thanks padi. no organic for him he probably doesnt even know what that is, "instructions" he says thats for people who dont know what they are doing. i will try make sure he leaves it 2 weeks but he is from the old stock there is no talking to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Roundup breaks down fast enough in soil, it degrades to carbon dioxide and nitrogen in a few days.

I wouldn't drink it obviously, but as weed killers go, it's not the worst ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

30 days to break down into a nitrogenous fertiliser at least, studies have been measured that take much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Oldtree wrote: »
    30 days to break down into a nitrogenous fertiliser at least, studies have been measured that take much longer
    are you saying 30 days before its ok to plant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

no, just how long it can persist in the area, usually ok to plant after 1-2 weeks when stuff going brown and its rained
    the companys may indicate earlier but .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Apart from being expensive, Roundup is a good weed killer.
    If the ground is green with weeds spray the whole area, wait a week or two (you'll see the weeds wilting and turning brown) and then dig it over. If theirs a few big weeds just spray them, spraying soil is waste as glycophosphate only works on growing plants, it gets into the plant through the leaves and kills it slowly.
    Once it hits soil it becomes neutral as a weed killer so no use as a preventive, it breaks down in soil in about 3 weeks. Don't harvest anything your going to eat during that time if you sprayed nearby.
    You can sow after straight away but the weedkiller won't have killed anything by then so it won't be dug or..well you get the idea. Spray, wait, dig, plant.
    I wouldn't be doing this every year but to clear a plot thats overgrown it can't be beaten.

Advertisement