Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TOLD TO WORK 6 HOURS FOR FREE

• 16-03-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all

My partner works mornings in childcare. I work nights elsewhere. We have children.

Recently she was asked/told by her boss that she has to come back in for 2 evenings next week for 3 hours each for "parent teacher meetings". She agreed as she presumed she will get paid for this. The next day she was talking to a serious co-worker who assured her that she won't get paid for this! :eek: We have already organised a babysitter (who will have to get paid) and she doesn't drive, so she'll have to use the LUAS.

Anyone know if this is legal or common? Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ColBackAgain

Lovelyguy wrote: »
    Hi all

My partner works mornings in childcare. I work nights elsewhere. We have children.

Recently she was asked/told by her boss that she has to come back in for 2 evenings next week for 3 hours each for "parent teacher meetings". She agreed as she presumed she will get paid for this. The next day she was talking to a serious co-worker who assured her that she won't get paid for this! :eek: We have already organised a babysitter (who will have to get paid) and she doesn't drive, so she'll have to use the LUAS.

Don't take what I say as being correct. But just to me, if shes paid hourly, then yes surely more hours = more pay.

If shes on a fixed wage. Eg. X amount per week, per month, per year. Then I reckon it's legal. In this case he contract probably says "you get paid X amount a month. to do these duties"....

That's just my 2 cents on it. I know in my weekend job. more hours = more wages.

But my weekday job is X amount per week for 40 hours. But hours over that are assumed as "part of my duties". likewise that 40 hours could be less one week and more another. (I dont get docked wages if I take a day off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its the way it works for teachers, not sure about the rest of the childcare sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

No chance it could be counted as lost time and taken later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Lovelyguy

Cheers for the responses guys. She gets paid by the hour and the boss is very quick to deduct pay for sick days/going home early due to sickness/our kids when sick.

Just seems pretty illegal and harsh as this is nothing to do with public sector, croke park etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cheers for the responses guys. She gets paid by the hour and the boss is very quick to deduct pay for sick days/going home early due to sickness/our kids when sick.

Just seems pretty illegal and harsh as this is nothing to do with public sector, croke park etc.

If she's not paid for sick days then I would swiftly tell him to foxtrot oscar on this suggestion. If she was a fulltime worker or permanent part time, I would have a different expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I have some knowledge with employment law but it doesn't extend to the teaching sector,and its small even when it doesn't.

Before jumping the gun,ring her union for some better advice. If you were working on a day rate you wouldn't turn in for an extra unpaid day(which it isn't far off) but maybe teachers work differently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Firstly, childcare and teaching are two different things. Although the interchangability used here highlights the attitude of the general public to teaching.

Secondly, in teaching parent teacher meetings are held on a one per half term basis, generally, for different year groups in second level and, afaik, once a year in primary.

I would imagine it's a creche or Montessori of some description, 6 hours of parent teacher meetings would be excessive surely. Even at 5 mins per parent you would need to be looking after over a hundred children.

Croke park, disaster that it is, covers this stuff for teachers in state schools. Otherwise it seems that your missus is bein shafted.

Advertisement