Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved into new apartment. storage heater question

Options
  • 16-03-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Have gone through the forum and havnt found a thread to help. Ideally need to know what the controls on this heater do.

This is the bedroom. We only moved in last night. Room was pretty cold so I'd like to have a small bit of heat going in during the night.

I don't want it charging during the day. Can it take in heat during the night , (dont know what time to do this. How many hours would it take ?)let out a fraction and then be inactive during the day ?

We have a real fire to warm the living room. My PC and monitors heat up my PC room.

I've added some pics. Hopefully someone can help. Also I checked the fuse box as I saw talk of some devireg stuff. Nothing on my fuse box.

Thanks.
    Doc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Doubt this the right forum, but anyway... Storage heaters are basically a block of bricks that are heated by an electrical element. When the heater is off, the blocks are still warm, letting out a bit of heat for another while afterwards. Expensive enough to run.

So use it like you would a normal heater. Set it to be on when you want the place to heat up.

The controls from left to right are
    a dial for how much energey goes to the heating element
    A switch between one bar or two bars of the element switched on
    A timer. Pressed down is on, left out is off.
    A switch between timer (clock), manual (hand) and I am guessing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I could be wrong but I don't think they're storage heaters. So they use power at whatever time they're turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Hi op.

That's not a storage heater. I lived in a place that had the same model of BS heating.

That's like a hair dryer, it dries out the air so much.

My suggestion is get a dimplex storage heater on wheels. You can dry clothes / towels on it really quick on it as well. That keeps the air moist as well.

Don't cover the vents on any heater.

I got the same model of heater you have off the wall and had it recycled it. Complete BS they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yeah, they're not storage heaters. They're normal electric heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

this thread may help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75026212

also search the electrical forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hi guys.thanks for the replies.

Perhaps maybe it might be perfect then. We just want to fire it on for an hour during bedtime to get some heat going.

The other wall mounted heaters are different so wonder if they are storage.

I don't have any buttons or switches related to heating on the fusebox. That an indication there are no storage heaters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hi guys.thanks for the replies.

Perhaps maybe it might be perfect then. We just want to fire it on for an hour during bedtime to get some heat going.

The other wall mounted heaters are different so wonder if they are storage.

I don't have any buttons or switches related to heating on the fusebox. That an indication there are no storage heaters ?

Strangely enough I've the same heaters in the bed too ,there grand for warming a room pre bed time and heat up fairly quick ,now depending how well the insulation if any and type of Windows the room should retain a decent warmth , invest in some good quality curtains with a lining to help maintain comfort and lessen heath loss through windows

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Typical storage heater usually found in hallway and sitting rooms apartment wise

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Yep. You have a Dimplex Panel heater.

* - 6: Roughly 5 - 30c (Thermostat)
    Power Output: 1 dot: Half Power, 2 Dot Full.
    Timeclock
    Up: Time Clock, Middle: OFF, Bottom: Manual aka always on.

It will be switched on by the timeclock or manually (always on) but the thermostat will switch it on and off as required according to the room temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The one you posted a picture of are the worst kind of heating I can imagine.

My last house (4 bed, very large terrace house) had these exclusively and they were such an energy sink, especially as the house had single glazed windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thanks for the replies all.

Well over the weekend went around and sorted out the drafts with sealer. We have a real fire thats spreading heat nicely around the apartment, and no need to turn the heaters on at all.

Only in the bedroom to sleep, and thats where buying a good duvet came in handy :)

Advertisement