Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International weekends

• 16-03-2013 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I know we get a summer of football every two years as a trade off but theoretically you could have some sort of world cup every two years without scuppering the domestic programme.

International weekends have the vibe of a Bank Holiday Monday x 1000, so boring, and shifting it to a Friday / Tuesday basis makes the Saturday's even duller.

Crawley vs Stevenage on Sky, Wooo!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

dd972 wrote: »
    I know we get a summer of football every two years as a trade off but theoretically you could have some sort of world cup every two years without scuppering the domestic programme.

International weekends have the vibe of a Bank Holiday Monday x 1000, so boring, and shifting it to a Friday / Tuesday basis makes the Saturday's even duller.

Can you elaborate on this theory? I want to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The idea behind having the games on a Friday, then the following Tuesday, is too give the players an extra day to recover before they return to action for their respective clubs the following weekend, so in that sense it is a good idea IMO.
    I do agree with you though, there is a void in the weekend during the international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The idea behind having the games on a Friday, then the following Tuesday, is too give the players an extra day to recover before they return to action for their respective clubs the following weekend, so in that sense it is a good idea IMO.
    I do agree with you though, there is a void in the weekend during the international break.

No its not its because leagues decided that the 5 day rule was **** and FIFA had to come up with a solution hence friday and tuesday.

Means less time off from clubs not player resting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

What's wrong with Crawley versus Stevenage? It's football isn't it? No celebs, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

with Trapps pleasant on the eye football , cant wait for International football weekends - nearly as bad as watching Kidneys Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

thebaz wrote: »
    with Trapps pleasant on the eye football , cant wait for International football weekends - nearly as bad as watching Kidneys Ireland

ahh jaysis are we rubbish at rugby now as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I was thinking about this whilst trying to explain the typical league season to an American. He honestly couldn't understand the why football has all these different competitions running concurrently and (among other things) why some clubs are playing a league match on a Wednesday and then several other Saturday's the prem is just "switched off".

So I was thinking in an ideal world every league would probably have 34 league fixtures per season and play one every weekend for 34 weeks. Midweek would be reserved whatever cup fixtures you had. Everything from the league cup round 1 to the FA cup final would be played midweek and be done with it.

As for international football? I reckoned that could just be shunted to some particular "international window" (either before the season or after). I know everyone likes to think of international football as this precious thing, but lets face it, it's becoming increasingly irrelevant with each passing decade (and that statements coming from someone who is actually more interested in the national team than any particular club).

As such I imagined a possible future where international football becomes a sort of seasonal thing like the six nations. Playing an entire block of fixtures over a month or so and just getting it out of the way so to speak. I reckon the clubs themselves would love it as it'd be the next best thing to just scrapping international football completely and would do away with a lot of the worry around sending players away and coming back injured etc.

Anyway that's pie in the sky stuff I know. I don't know why I'm even posting it here but I just felt like throwing it somewhere. I'm looking forward to Ireland v Sweden next week, but at the same time I see the craziness in the overall way football is scheduled in a typical season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

LOI matches on next Saturday. Attend one for a laugh, cheap and cheerful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A lot of countries around Europe do a winter break. Why not have everyone do one and play the internationals then? Gets them all out of the way in the one go rather than constant interruptions to the season. If a country wants more games they have to wait until summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

A lot of leagues in North and South America (such as MLS, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Jamaica etc.) still play league matches during international match calendars. They don't usually have international breaks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement