Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which home security system would you choose ?

Options
  • 16-03-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,

I have no alarm at present so looking at getting some sort of security system into the house. I am just a bit confused as to what sort of system to get though.

I was thinking myself that a cctv system would probably be the best as that would cover all angles. I am in a residential area so not sure of the cctcv laws or if there is any any ?

Or is the likes of eircom phonewatch the best. I would be grateful of your experiences on both cctv or general alarms and what systems you would suggest ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The first option is to decide on wired wireless or a combination of both.
    For fully wireless take a look at the Visonic Powermax or HKC Quantum.
    For wired or a combination of wired & wireless take a look at the Siemens SPC Range or HKC 1070
    The next thing is to shop around & get at least 3 quotes comparing like with like. All licensed company's can supply monitoring so don't just jump at the Eircom option.
    Insist on a free call out & survey to ensure you are getting quoted for what you need. Don't accept a quote over the phone. This only leads to surprise extras down the line. Get all quotes in writing including what extra's like maintenance and monitoring cover.This is important on some maintenance contracts they will try limit you to 2 calls per year. A proper maintenance contract should cover all call outs. Otherwise you will have to pay if they don't fix something correctly the first time.

CCTV is a massive market. Its really down to what you wan't & what sort of budget you have in mind. Again ,as above get a proper survey & get a few quotes comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

KoolKid wrote: »
    All licensed company's can supply monitoring so don't just jump at the Eircom option.
    Out of curiosity..
    Why would you say not to jump at eircom?
    Is it because they're bad, or because they give the impression they're the only company that monitor alarms? Or something else? Though I can't see any one else that is more expensive than them!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A couple of reasons.
    They generally quote cheap & to do that they leave out some essentials like a working external bell, contacts with sensors on all accessible windows.
    Some of their reps are not knowledgeable with the workings of their product with the result they give you wrong information like:
    The alarm can only be monitored over an Eircom land line & not UPC etc.
    The monitoring station knows if your phone line is cut.
    Their GSM diallers can not be jammed.
    All of which are false.
    If you do ask for a more secure option they off you GSM insted of Radio,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

3sixty wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have no alarm at present so looking at getting some sort of security system into the house. I am just a bit confused as to what sort of system to get though.

I was thinking myself that a cctv system would probably be the best as that would cover all angles. I am in a residential area so not sure of the cctcv laws or if there is any any ?

Or is the likes of eircom phonewatch the best. I would be grateful of your experiences on both cctv or general alarms and what systems you would suggest ?

Thanks in advance.

Alarms and cameras have different tasks. An alarm system, if properly installed to standards, will detect an intruder and will activate/ report accordingly. A CCTV system will record, just record, so you are hoping that the scum bag who broke into your house was kind enough to stop nice and close to the camera, remove his hoodie and shades and look straight at the camera, you know the way the news readers do.;)

Being honest, invest in an alarm you are better off. By the way we install both. I would start with an alarm, if you still want afterwards you can install CCTV at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Most eircom systems are poorly installed . ie right at the front door which is protected via a contact( should be a shock and contact ) ... Door is kicked open ,timer starts when the door is opened ,30 secs up , siren sounds , 30 secs again and system dials out.. That's a minute for the burglar to knock the panel off the wall and since there's no external bell that's it , the system is dead . Where's as if there was a shock/contact on the door the system would dial out before the door is opened ..and if there was an external bell it would keep ringing .
    With eircom you don't actually own the system until your contract of 2-3 years is up
    Which is €699( 7 sensor alarm) upfront then €25 - €35 a month for 2-3 years €1599 - €1959 not so cheap for 7 sensors
    And because they really like using trap packs the burglar will have to be in the house before the alarm will activate . He will the have to trip another sensor before the guards will be called .
    Steer clear ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 3sixty

Thanks everyone for your advice i think its probably a non eircom system is the way to go then.

Quick question ?

I. always thought the panel had to go inside the front door for some reason. Are we better off hiding it ?

2. Which is better wireless or wired ?

Any other tips keep them coming.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Ideally no one should be able to look in and see you punching your code in from outside so you should take that into account.
    If the place is wired then wired is better as it is cheaper initially and requires less maintenance in the long run. For example wireless devices requires batteries to be changed every so often.
    If the place is not wired then you can go wireless and that is fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

That's a minute for the burglar to knock the panel off the wall and since there's no external bell that's it , the system is dead . Where's as if there was a shock/contact on the door the system would dial out before the door is opened ..and if there was an external bell it would keep ringing .
    With eircom you don't actually own the system until your contract of 2-3 years is up
    Which is €699( 7 sensor alarm) upfront then €25 - €35 a month for 2-3 years €1599 - €1959 not so cheap for 7 sensors
    And because they really like using trap packs the burglar will have to be in the house before the alarm will activate . He will the have to trip another sensor before the guards will be called .
    Steer clear ...
    Is it really that easy?
    Should I get a shock sensor as well as the normal contact? The shock one dials faster since it's not a contact? (waiting for a code to disarm?)

We have two Eircom PhoneWatch alarms.. And if I needed another then I think it would be Eircom again. I just don't see the problems and they are always helpful. I got a call a Christmas and said it was OK that I would check it out. They insisted I should call the guards. They called back telling me the guards are on the way.

Turns out my dad was pissed and in bed. He left the keys on the door so the guards let themselves in.

I don't see the point in hiding the alarm panel, since it beeps when it wants the code. But leaving it out of view would be an advantage.

well think about it this way .... The current way that your system is set up it means that the all in one panel/keypad won't beep until the door has been opened . How can eircom know of an intrusion if there's no alarm left to report it ? funny thing is the burglary report they have on the site mentions how most thieves gain entry through the front door .
    Without a shock you have one minute before the system will dial out to knock it off.
    With a shock/reed the alarm will have sounded and contacted the monitoring station before the door is fully kicked open .... That's the least of your worries :D

PeteK* wrote: »
    Is it really that easy?
    Should I get a shock sensor as well as the normal contact? The shock one dials faster since it's not a contact? (waiting for a code to disarm?)
    No if its on the front door it wont' It will still be an entry exit zone. But if the shock picks up the door being forced before it actually opens then you are getting the call in that few seconds earlier.

well think about it this way .... The current way that your system is set up it means that the all in one panel/keypad won't beep until the door has been opened . How can eircom know of an intrusion if there's no alarm left to report it ? funny thing is the burglary report they have on the site mentions how most thieves gain entry through the front door .
    Without a shock you have one minute before the system will dial out to knock it off.
    With a shock/reed the alarm will have sounded and contacted the monitoring station before the door is fully kicked open .... That's the least of your worries :D
    If a door is kicked in in one go what difference does the shock make?
    The shock will still need to be on an entry exit timer.

• Advertisement

If your front door can be kicked in in one go you deserve to be robbed ... Most decent doors will withstand a few blows ... That's just like putting just reeds on a window and not shocks .....

What I'm saying is the shock sensor on the front door will still be entry exit. You will not get an instant activation any way. There will still be the entry time + 20 seconds before the digi starts to make a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Most eircom systems are poorly installed . ie right at the front door which is protected via a contact( should be a shock and contact ) ... Door is kicked open ,timer starts when the door is opened ,30 secs up , siren sounds , 30 secs again and system dials out.. That's a minute for the burglar to knock the panel off the wall and since there's no external bell that's it , the system is dead . Where's as if there was a shock/contact on the door the system would dial out before the door is opened ..and if there was an external bell it would keep ringing .
    Steer clear ...

Assuming of course that the telephone line has not been interfered with by the intruders buddy as he gains entry.

you'd still have a better chance of it dialling out ... Why don't most installers use them on doors ?

A contact on a solid front door is normal if its an external door.

I agree on systems where the panel is hidden but not on the likes of the all in one units .....

Regardless whether the panel is hidden or in the hall the front door will still have to be exit entry & the same delay will apply to the sensor as to the contact.
    Sensors on front doors cause too many false alarms. Its a known fact, any installer will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Why don't most installers use them on doors ?

False alarms. Also with the constant use a front door gets it can decrease the life span of a sensor head leading to again more false alarms.

Advertisement