Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hotels In Dublin City.

Options
  • 16-03-2013 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hey.
    I'm trying to organise a weekend away in Dublin for my Boyfriend and me. I'm crap with Dublin though so don't know any hotels there. I'd love to get a really beautiful, fancy one. Preferably a five star just because this will probably be one of the only times in the next few months I'll ever be able to afford anything like this for my Boyfriend. Would anyone know if there is a hotel that would have a certain Champagne in the room for me if I asked them before arriving? Just as a little surprise for him.
    I just want it to be perfect so I would love to find a really gorgeous hotel.

Thanking you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Hey.
    I'm trying to organise a weekend away in Dublin for my Boyfriend and me. I'm crap with Dublin though so don't know any hotels there. I'd love to get a really beautiful, fancy one. Preferably a five star just because this will probably be one of the only times in the next few months I'll ever be able to afford anything like this for my Boyfriend. Would anyone know if there is a hotel that would have a certain Champagne in the room for me if I asked them before arriving? Just as a little surprise for him.
    I just want it to be perfect so I would love to find a really gorgeous hotel.

Thanking you :)

I really love La Stampa on Dawson Street. It is fancy, and so central. It has a spa but no pool. I would really say that's the only downside!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

The Merrion is probably the most well known; old, traditional style.

If you'd like something more modern I'd look at the Dylan. It's a 'boutique hotel'. I've been in the bar there a few times and its very nice with a lovely outdoor terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

YOu can't beat the Shelbourne, Four Seasons, Fitzwilliam - was in the Morrison last weekend and looked lovely! Morgan can be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Morrison reopened last month

Beautiful hotel and very central

Any decent hotel could sort out the Champagne & ice bucket for your arrival, it's a fairly simple request

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Stayed in Trinity Capital for my wedding - lovely hotel, really nice bar too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

tomboylady wrote: »
    The Merrion is probably the most well known; old, traditional style.

If you'd like something more modern I'd look at the Dylan. It's a 'boutique hotel'. I've been in the bar there a few times and its very nice with a lovely outdoor terrace.

These 2 for me too. I'd probably go for the Dylan, fantastic looking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Nobody seems to have mentioned The Westbury or The Westin? Or The Conrad? They are all 5* and central.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clyde Court, formerly Berkely Court is lovely too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Nobody seems to have mentioned The Westbury or The Westin? Or The Conrad? They are all 5* and central.

I stayed in The Westbury and found it nice, but a bit blah. Its just a shinier version of every other hotel. I just felt it lacked character or something. I like hotels to be a bit more unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 3sixty

I have never stayed in this hotel but it looks the part and you could take in a concert or a show at the grand canal theatre one of the nights too.

the gibson hotel www.thegibsonhotel.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

3sixty wrote: »
    I have never stayed in this hotel but it looks the part and you could take in a concert or a show at the grand canal theatre one of the nights too.

I've stayed in it. Very nice room and all very modern but definitely not 5* But I'm sure they could leave a bottle of champagne in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Wouldn't usually stay in hotels in Dublin but I had the opportunity recently to stay in the Croke Park hotel. It was lovely. Free parking, free WiFi, food was lovely, docking station in the room. But what really sold it for me was the bathroom, separate shower and bath. And the bath was big enough for two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

3sixty wrote: »

The Gibson may not have the poshness factor going for it that the likes of the Merrion and the Shelbourne have, but some rooms do have access to a rooftop terrace that is lovely to have if the weather is nice. I think the rooms have to be on the 5th floor or higher and on a particular side of the hotel to be able to access it. The rooms have patio doors leading onto a terrace, that has gorgeous views over the city skyline and over to the mountains. It has loungers and tables too. It faces west and gets the sun in the late afternoon and evening. It would be a lovely spot to enjoy your champers.

My cousin used to stay there a lot for her job. Her company only ever paid for a standard room, but she usually got an upgrade to one of the terrace rooms as she stayed there so often. She always had chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for her on arrival too. If you want one of the rooms with the terrace, ask for it when you book. Don't presume that it will come with a standard room, as it doesn't.

The Gibson Hotel is across the road from the O2 arena, and a 10 minute walk to the Grand Canal Theatre area. However, you will also pay a lot more for a room than you normally would if there is something on at the O2 when you are staying there. It is a great location if you are going to a show at either venue, but there is not much else in the area. The Gibson is beside a Luas stop tho', and that can have you in O'Connell St in 10 mins.

If you want to be closer to the action, and have town and all the nice shops/restaurants/bars of the Grafton St area right on your doorstep, as well as an overall "posher" hotel experience, go with the Merrion, the Westbury or the Shelbourne.

Regardless of where you stay, the champagne thing is easy. Any hotel with a bar attached can do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

i did something like this before but I chose the secret hotel on lastminute.com I just added 5star as the criteria, and sure Dublin only has a handful of 5stars. The description kinda gives away the hotel (it said, steps away from Grafton street) so assumed it was the shelbourne or the fitzwilliam..... It was the Fitzwilliam. Once u book, u get the hotel name, and as someone else mentioned, they all would happily leave a bottle in the room for arrival. Saved about 50quid...(and sure that would pay for the champers)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The Secret Hotels thing on lastminute.com is a good idea as there isn't that many 5 star hotels in Dublin and you'll be able to figure out which one it is from the description (or else post here and one of us will). You'll save a few quid over paying list rack rates direct from the hotel itself

I always bring my own champagne with me- you can get a top notch bottle in Tesco for less than €40 which is a bit of a saving on the €80-€100+ a 5 star hotel will charge you for the exact same thing. Then just ring room service and ask for two glasses and a bucket of ice and you're sorted. Cheeky I know but I've worked in 5 star hotels and this happened a lot, having room service is a condition of their 5 star rating and they have to provide it and they'll not refuse a bucket of ice and glasses so long as you're not bringing drinks down to the bar. If you do it this way just make sure to tip the room server well :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement