Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pennys Refund Query

• 16-03-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi There,
    I purchased a size 12 skinny jeans in Pennys a while back,tried them on in the store & they fitted perfect.So a month later I bought another pair in a different colour,same size,went to wear them today & they dont fit:eek:,exact style as the other ones!!So heres my dilema,I have the receipt but it expired last week,so what can I do ,they were 13euros,which is lot of money to me at the min.

Any help/advice would be great
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Go back to the store you bought them in and ask them if they will give you a refund or allow you to exchange them for another pair or another item.

I've found Penneys to be very strict with enforcing their policies, so don't expect anything, just go in and be nice and they'll probably help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Do you not have the receipt for the new pair?

Thought they allowed 28 days for refunds / returns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Basq wrote: »
    Do you not have the receipt for the new pair?

Thought they allowed 28 days for refunds / returns?

Yes I do, but the receipt for expired last week....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

buy another pair the same colour and size and try them on to make sure they fit and bring back the other ones with a new receipt. i find penneys sizes are a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It took you over a month to realise they dont fit?

Penneys have gotten really strict about their return policy lately, I dont think youll get your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    buy another pair the same colour and size and try them on to make sure they fit and bring back the other ones with a new receipt. i find penneys sizes are a bit hit and miss.
    Yeah, know people that have done exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

They might let you exchange for a different size even though the 28days are up. worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

That is the one thing that annoys me with Pennys is the vary in sizes. I tried on a jacket in there recently, which fitted perfectly. Decided to get a another one in a different colour and luckly tried it on (to see what the colour looked like on). Although it was the same jacket in a different colour and same size it was way smaller on!

I find Pennys are very strict on their return policy and to be honest think it is very unlikely you will get a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

sorry to hijack thread but I bought a 3 pack of underwear in penny's last week. The hanger & tag said 10-12 but the size on the underwear was 8-10 & they are tiny. Will they let me exchange or refund?

I know you normally can't with underwear but bit annoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

jillyb wrote: »
    sorry to hijack thread but I bought a 3 pack of underwear in penny's last week. The hanger & tag said 10-12 but the size on the underwear was 8-10 & they are tiny. Will they let me exchange or refund?

Defo won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

coathanger wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I purchased a size 12 skinny jeans in Pennys a while back,tried them on in the store & they fitted perfect.So a month later I bought another pair in a different colour,same size,went to wear them today & they dont fit:eek:,exact style as the other ones!!So heres my dilema,I have the receipt but it expired last week,so what can I do ,they were 13euros,which is lot of money to me at the min.

Any help/advice would be great
    Thanks

Hi All,
    Just to give you an update,went to Penneys today & explained what happened to the very helpful Customer service girl & she allowed me to purchase other items to the value of the 13euros,so that was great.I was happy with that because at least it meant I wasn't stuck with jeans that were too small:)Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

jillyb wrote: »

In this case I think they might let you swap as they were on the wrong hanger. Anywhere I worked, we would never take back underwear but we would if it was on the wrong hanger. Most customers have no idea how to put single briefs or a bra on a hanger so if a customer bought it hanging it was probably a member of staff that put it on the hanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Mollyd90 wrote: »

^ brillant idea!

Pennys sizes are terrible. Found a lovely mint green lace top a while back, had to get size 16.....lm size 12!!!! and still a bit tight around the arms! The clothes are lovely design but sizes are all over the place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Does anyone know if Penneys give you a refund on a laser card, does the money go back on the card straight away?

I agree. It is one shop that I have to try on everything I buy.

Does anyone know if Penneys give you a refund on a laser card, does the money go back on the card straight away?

It normally takes a few days to the best of my knowledge for their bank and your bank to process it.

I've stopped buying clothes in Penneys now. The last number of times I have bought stuff I have had to return them all.

I'll stick to my slipper socks and slippers as shoes/clothes I am always returning them.

Why Toast may I ask? i am just wondering as I have only started buying clothes there recently. I always avoid it as I found my nearest store too cramped and long waiting time but have recently started due to two nearby new/upgraded stores. Just curious is there something I don't know (other than the odd sizing):)

Miaireland wrote: »
    Why Toast may I ask? i am just wondering as I have only started buying clothes there recently. I always avoid it as I found my nearest store too cramped and long waiting time but have recently started due to two nearby new/upgraded stores. Just curious is there something I don't know (other than the odd sizing):)
    Because most times I buy something there I always have to return them.

I bought a pair of red/burgandy shoes with a bow on them last Jan, wore them twice, and the sole is coming apart already. I think I paid €15 for them. I couldn't find my receipt for them so didn't bother going into the store about them as I know what the staff are like.

I bought a pair of boots in January, the seam at the back had started to come apart and sole started coming away from one boot, so in I went, explained the situation and the manager told me that I could exchange them for something else but couldn't get a refund "because whatever I had done to the shoes they couldn’t offer a refund". I didn't like being told I was the one who had damaged the shoes, and as it turns out, a few people I know got the same boots and also had the same problems, so it wasn’t anything I had done, it was a fault with the shoes themselves.

I remember that day the cashier who was serving me snapped the receipt out of my hands and went to find a manager, but instead of calling a manager over the intercom, she walked around the store leaving myself and a queue of customers waiting for almost 10 minutes (if not more) for her to come back. When she did come back with the manager and I was informed I could get an exchange the cashier said to me “I’ll keep your receipt and the boots here until you find something to exchange them for” and left them sitting on the counter where ANYONE could have taken them and walked out, receipt and all. She was unfriendly and smug about it too. I’ve dealt with this cashier I don’t know how many times now and she always has a bad manner and is never friendly. I’ve had to complain about her twice before. How she works in customer service is beyond me because she is never friendly or helpful. A few times I’ve seen people asking for refunds when they are returning stuff and she’ll ask if they want an exchange, even though they have asked for a refund. Why not give what they ask for instead of offering something they didn’t ask for? I’m pretty sure they’d exchange the item(s) if they wanted.

Clothes I am always returning, they never fit me right. Since Christmas I'd say I returned about 15 items of clothing due to the dodgy sizing.

A few years ago, I bought two tops in Penneys, the exact same, but different colours, one is an 8 and the other is a 12 or 14 and they both fit perfectly.

How can there be such a difference in the sizing in the same item of clothing but in different colours? I've never had this with River Island/Topshop/Dunnes etc?

I'm convinced that whoever makes Penneys clothes just attach whatever tags they can onto the clothes regardless of whether they are correct of not.

I’m just fed up with the staff in my local store, the fact I am always returning stuff and I’ve just decided to stop buying clothes/shoes there because inevitably they will need to be returned and I haven’t the patience to deal with the staff in my local store. I’m sick of their attitudes in there. There are some lovely staff, but they are never on the customer service checkout, they are always tidying up clothes, putting new stuff out, on the tills serving etc.

Sorry for the long post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

it takes a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

Whatever stupid policies Pennys dreams up are irrelevant if they dont comply with the Irish Sale of Goods and Services Act.

They cannot refuse to give you a refund for items that are miss-labelled, not fit for purpose or havent functioned as intended or have broken in the course of normal usage.

Its a joke that Pennys say they wont refund underwear. If they have mis-labelled or mis-displayed the sizes then they have to refund - its their fault not the customers! They have to take a hit.

Pennys cant pick and choose which items they refund and dont refund - they must comply with Irish law. Pennys own "in house law" is just aspirational.

Pennys seem to behave as if the act didnt exist and assume that customers dont know their rights under the act. Well its time we woke them up!!

I bought 2 packs of their mens underwear. One pack fitted me ok but the other was too small even though both packs are labelled the same size. They refused to refund me so they are going to hear from some legal people about why their policy is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Onethebus You already have a thread on this topic in Consumer Issues. Please do not drag up old threads to repeat the same thing.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement