Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parade.

Options
  • 16-03-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Hello friends,

Does anyone know when the parade is tomorrow and what is its route?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

kick off at 1pm..starts on the quay by the bus eireann station..down the quay onto the mall and ends at the junction at the mall/parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

BFgmFCqCAAEIGZL.jpg:large

This guy could be the main attraction tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How is that ^^ going to make it past the roundabout at the GPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    How is that ^^ going to make it past the roundabout at the GPO?

That will be in Dublin, passed it on the m9 yesterday. That roundabout is going to be fun either way

wellboy76 wrote: »
    That will be in Dublin, passed it on the m9 yesterday. That roundabout is going to be fun either way

Thank goodness for that , cos it looks to me , like a signal that we won't make it , and will be eaten alive .

The South-East don't need alligators right now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Thank goodness for that , cos it looks to me , like a signal that we won't make it , and will be eaten alive .

The South-East don't need alligators right now .

Its a whale, silly!

wellboy76 wrote: »

Wonder why they need whales in Dublin - Whales are our latest tourist attraction in the S-east .

Feck-off Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm giving up on the parade after this year. I'm here looking at the end of it and it's been 80% just people walking, 15% Vehicles and 5% actual float-type structures. Great for kids involved in it I suppose.

Nothing special or creative to look at though. It's funny, as more money was floating around during the Celtic Tiger the parades actually got shítter. What hope has it now when people and businesses are unwilling to part with cash as they once might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I'm giving up on the parade after this year. I'm here looking at the end of it and it's been 80% just people walking, 15% Vehicles and 5% actual float-type structures. Great for kids involved in it I suppose.

Nothing special or creative to look at though. It's funny, as more money was floating around during the Celtic Tiger the parades actually got shítter. What hope has it now when people and businesses are unwilling to part with cash as they once might have.

Not sure if its true but hearing stories that the Spraoi floats had to pull out because of new roundabout on the quay ,not able to manoeuvre around it,
    anyone know if its true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ I think the team behind Spraoi being all of their fancy floats up to Dublin for the parade there, it would surely make more sense to keep them in Waterford to make a bigger impression on our battered city??

• Advertisement

Lot of underage drinking going on in there too. Just home now after getting a bite to eat and going to the amusements. Couldn't move down there for all the gangs of scantily clad teenage girls and young lads with bags of cans. Saw no Gardai either. Didn't feel right bringing my family around, my ten year old girls eye were popping out of her head!! :pac::o

The missus wants to plan a little trip somewhere up the country for next year, she might be on to something. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Paddy's day is the same all over the country. Worst day of the year. I wouldn't begrudge the pubs though.

Paddy's day is the same all over the country. Worst day of the year. I wouldn't begrudge the pubs though.

No, not at all. That's the upside, that local businesses might see an increase in sales and/or footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Well what are people's verdict on the parade? Good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

Finnbar01 wrote: »

bad..but to be honest i knew going in to see it that it would be poor..its been getting poorer year after year the last few in all honesty,so it was no big surprise..only plus was the rain more or less held off and it wasnt that cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Don't see the point in it anymore to be honest. What is it supposed to be about?
    An expression of cultural identity or such like.

Have 3 young kids who would be entertained by a broken twig and they said they were bored and wanted to go home.

Spraoi was the best by a mile but their main effort is now in Dublin. After that the Fire Engines were a hit but other than that its just rows of disinterested groups of kids from various hurling, karate and soccer clubs looking really cold.

From a 2 year olds point of view, the Suir Railway was a hit, because they blew the horn alot.

She loved the Nigerian community's boom box on a trailer and the dancing behind it!

She was less sure about the vikings but other kids loved that.

I hate the way no one claps or cheers, or even acknowledges that humans are passing them.

I really miss the floats from all the factories on the estate from years ago.

Really there's no excuse for each business in the town not to have a float, I must suggest it in work.

Business could use it for a bit of tongue in cheek free advertising, like horses on the Tesco Float, Animal shelter charities on the Dunne's float, free bottles of No. 9 from the Downes float.

When it was over, it seemed like people wanted something to keep their interest, the market on the quay in the old handmade furniture store was choc a block.

I thought the stall that the Granary cafe had was nice, but really not a patch on the harvest festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I hate the way no one claps or cheers, or even acknowledges that humans are passing them.

I really miss the floats from all the factories on the estate from years ago.

I'm sure its great for the kids that are taking part, and their families, but watching so many walk by can get very tedious, especially for other children watching. What might be a big improvement would be even if they played some kind of music over the speakers along with the groups as they all went along. That'd probably get the crowd going a bit more and bring a bit of a party atmosphere to it. The atmosphere for most of the parade just felt a bit dead.

I think I heard a few years ago that most of the companies pulled out of the floats because the insurance went through the roof for them.

Oh, never thought of insurance, cant afford that from the social fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It seemed well organised, sign of the times when companies can't spend the money on a float.

• Advertisement

I've been told that yes, the insurance is crazy for it and that puts a lot of businesses off.

Seems you are right:
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/parade-appeal-for-more-floats-as-insurance-obstacle-goes-27661825.html

But some city councils cover the cost of insurance and some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Not sure if its true but hearing stories that the Spraoi floats had to pull out because of new roundabout on the quay ,not able to manoeuvre around it,
    anyone know if its true ?

That's rubbish. regardless of anyone's opinion on the roundabout it is still designed properly, a full 40ft lorry can drive is safely so any float can.

There were no problems with any of the participants negotiation the roundabout.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Off hand i believe insurance was a reason why even the likes of AOL didn't always do floats in the parade, its just very expensive.

If AOL wouldn't/couldn't put such money towards it given the amount of money they fired at party's etc, what hope does a smaller company have of taking part?

I always remember Mr Kervick of the Fruit and Veg shop having excellent floats. Does he still enter them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Ha ha I was just asking same questions today ? Back in the day it was the crystal float and kervicks .

decies wrote: »
    Ha ha I was just asking same questions today ? Back in the day it was the crystal float and kervicks .

MB (now called Hasbro) used to do a fantastic one as well.

Bausch & Lomb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The Morris Oil trucks were always the hilight for me anyway

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    The Morris Oil trucks were always the hilight for me anyway

No, no, the taxis used to do if for me.

Advertisement