Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi automatic syphon

Options
  • 16-03-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Heads up for homebrewers. Aldi are doing an auto syphon next Thursday for a tenner. Can transfer 7 ltrs a min. I shall be getting one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

But is it food-grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

BeerNut wrote: »
    But is it food-grade?

probably not, might be useful for someone working with a Wort chiller and water from a water butt or another container. Thinking green and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

That's only a couple of quid cheaper than the small autosiphons, I would be more concerned about an impeller agitating and oxidising my fermented wort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BeerNut wrote: »
    But is it food-grade?

Bought it and it says "suitable for beer" on the box. Do me.

• Advertisement

Strict guidelines from FDA about Plastics and alcohol, most fall on their arse above 8%
    It may make you hair fall out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

got mine as well, shall give it a bash in the next week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

joctcl wrote: »
    Strict guidelines from FDA about Plastics and alcohol, most fall on their arse above 8%
    It may make you hair fall out;)

Are you serious? I don't have enough hair left for any of it to fall out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya just did a racking tonight with it,

Pluses: quick as hell and can put the DJ' s beside each other rather than messing about with gravity.

Minuses: tested it out with water in a dj first but then when I tried it at the actual ra cking the thing took a bit if convincing to fit down another DJ.

When you switch it off theres a bit of backwash that shoots down which could disturb the sediment if you stop half way.

Defo using it from now on though.

Used mine yesterday, very impressed.

Firstly I drew some of the sterilisation mix through it, then some water, then I used it to move half a stout mix from one fermenter to another.

Much less messy, and a bonus that the containers can be side by side.

I don't know how good it will be for bottling, given the speed of transfer, but we'll see in three weeks or so.

• Advertisement

much agitation liquids or foam bubbles generated, I'm thinking oxidation?

It didn't seem to me to me any more agitated than with siphoning using a tube+human - and probably less chance of infection if the siphon is sterilised. I think the trade-off is worth it.

I'll be able to test that, I have a 20litre brew in a fermenter with a tap & bottling wand, so I'll fill a few bottles using each method and report back when they are opened.

Advertisement