Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scooter and cost

• 16-03-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Thinking about buying a 50cc scooter to commute to work in Dub. Have no license or no experience with bikes what so ever.

In terms of cost, here's what Im thinking;

500euro for IBT
    500-800euro for 50cc scooter
    200-300euro for safety gear
    200-300 insurance
    100euro for theory/license/misc costs

So 1500euro min to get on the road.

Does that just about cover it or have I left something out? These are rough estimates, havent done a whole lot of research yet.

Also, what's other peoples experience of riding a scooter in the city? Safe(ish)?

Any advice besides for the complete newbee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

msc1 wrote: »
    Thinking about buying a 50cc scooter to commute to work in Dub. Have no license or no experience with bikes what so ever.

500euro for IBT
    200-300 insurance

Does that just about cover it or have I left something out? These are rough estimates, havent done a whole lot of research yet.

Also, what's other peoples experience of riding a scooter in the city? Safe(ish)?

so i will try to explain you few things.

scoot - yamaha around 500€ (2005+)
    gear - starting you need helmet + gloves - maybe some semi jacket - in total 150€ max -
    insurance 300+ first time

so its less then 900 on the road for me.

i cant imagine you wearing leathers or any heavy gear on 50cc even tho more is betterin this case.

scoot is great for moving around, so take it easy and watch out. people are underestimating you, thinking bigger is better - therefore i will recomend you to be extra carefull.

in terms of fuel you will get anywhere for a fiver :) even a spin around howth or bray is a great idea on scoot. i recommend you that option unless you like cycling which is even better and more cost efective.

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Get a cbr125 or ybr instead. Same kind of prices but better for tipping around. More mpg better brakes and roadholding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

50cc is too weak. It is a bit like a snail going over bumps and small rises. Also, mpg is a bit poor. Can be depressing when everyone else is buzzing by you when the lights turn green ...

Go for 125+cc. As corkgsxr said, mpg is better. Also, you'd go faster than a snail up small hills. Also, less prone to blue-smoking.

Insurance: Insurance cost can vary based on your age/sex/location/experience. If possible, get full comprehensive cover.

When riding, always check front/side/back/side and don't rush it. If possible, avoid other drivers' "blind-spots". And lastly, enjoy the ride!

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    50cc is too weak. It is a bit like a snail going over bumps and small rises. Also, mpg is a bit poor. Can be depressing when everyone else is buzzing by you when the lights turn green ...

Go for 125+cc. As corkgsxr said, mpg is better. Also, you'd go faster than a snail up small hills. Also, less prone to blue-smoking.

Insurance: Insurance cost can vary based on your age/sex/location/experience. If possible, get full comprehensive cover.

When riding, always check front/side/back/side and don't rush it. If possible, avoid other drivers' "blind-spots". And lastly, enjoy the ride!

well - for first time rider/driver - automatic transmition a la Scoot is a great choice to learn out - how to drive, turn, brake, move and less stress.

riding in town only - traffic, 50cc untouched can easy go 60kmh i mean you wont need to go faster then that and from 0-40 its faster then most cars anyway. i am not saying what to choose but scoot its not bad at all, by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 msc1

Cheers lads, great info. Yeah so you're still talking ~900euro for bike/insurance but you still have to do the IBT even for a 50cc right?

In terms of the 125cc bikes I dont fancy the bike just yet. I think Ill do as bikerguy suggests and get my bearings on a scooter and see how I go from there. Scooters dont look as cool but Im not too concerned about that tbh!

In terms of brand, stick with the Yamaha? Ill take that into consideration and let y'all know how I get on.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Get a yamaha aerox. Best of the bunch. I had one for 2 and a half years and never let me down. I was always the fastest 16 year old compared to other mopeds. Will do 50-55 mph all day long no problem

Tires make a big difference. The michelin pilot sport is a amazing tire on a scooter. If it has cheap Chinese tires or the block threads like a off roader id junk them they just dont grip.

Use fully synthetic 2stroke oil for better proformance and almost no smoke.
    Use cheap garage mineral stuff and youll stink of smoke at the end of journeys.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Get a yamaha aerox. Best of the bunch. I had one for 2 and a half years and never let me down. I was always the fastest 16 year old compared to other mopeds. Will do 50-55 mph all day long no problem

Tires make a big difference. The michelin pilot sport is a amazing tire on a scooter. If it has cheap Chinese tires or the block threads like a off roader id junk them they just dont grip.

As suggested aerox for yamaha and katana R for suzuki would b my choice. Make sure they have no modifications. No aftermarket exhausts or anything as 2 stroke engine is very sensitive.

Aerox is a gas - fast as light and durable

. 1L Bottle of castrol semisynth oil is 10e in bikerwolrd and its a great oil. It will last you few tanks

And welcome to the world of 2 wheels.

Just to mention - aerox looks is stunning. So they can look cool ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Have you considered a second hand Vespa PX or LML...They are a geared scooter with 4 speeds and a clutch. So they give much better acceleration taking off from the lights and you can use the gears to change down and "engine brake" when slowing down unlike an automatic so much better control and safety. I bought a LML for €600 recently althought they usually fetch €1000- €2000 secondhand.

Go for a PX125 cc or even a PX200cc if you can find one! Best advice I was ever given was to skip a 50cc scooter and get a 125 straight away as my first bike because you can stay ahead of the traffic a bit better and ride in front away from cars. No one likes to be riding in the left hand side of the road in the gutter with cars passing you at 40mph...

The vespa has a big toolbox inside the legshields for carrying tools, waterproof leggins, 2T oil, gloves, shopping etc. A full metal chassis means that it will be protected against the weather better that a plastic bodied yamaha or suzuki and when you drop it (and you will drop it!!) or it is vandalised it will retain it's shape unlike a plastic scooter which shatter into pieces and means new panels. You also carry a spare tire under the lefthand panel so no more punctures and you can get back home without calling roadside recovery services.

A tenner a week will cover your fuel costs and the bike has very good depreciation if you go to sell and upgrade in the future. Parts are very cheap too and plentiful and the engine is very robust and reliable...

Vespas are great fun to dive and will put a smile on your face...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

corkgsxr wrote: »

+1

Mine did 65MPH :D Engine didn't last too long though :(:confused::pac:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    +1

Mine did 65MPH :D Engine didn't last too long though :(:confused::pac:

Mine was overheating for about 2 weeks couldn't figure it out. The 2 stroke light broke so I never knew it ran out. Seemed to have no affect on the engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 msc1

Yeah the vespa may be worth considering. You list a lot of positives Tomohawk. I guess it comes down to outlay. Vespa may be better but they are also more expensive and I gotta factor in all the getting started costs, IBT etc.. Although a mate of mine had a vespa for years and swore by it. But he also had more money than me :) I will defo keep an eye out for a bargain though if there's one to be had.

As for scoots, Ive looked into the Aerox. It looks like a nifty little number alright :) and they're not too expensive either!

Here's one I found for 450e
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/scooters/4366007

Although I noticed that this Aprilia seems to have much bigger wheels.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/scooters/4640683

Would I be right in assuming that these bigger wheels would equate to a safer scooter? Like running over potholes and stuff becomes less of an issue?

Cheers for the misc tips on oil on stuff. That's been noted!

Yeah the vespa may be worth considering. You list a lot of positives Tomohawk. I guess it comes down to outlay. Vespa may be better but they are also more expensive and I gotta factor in all the getting started costs, IBT etc.. Although a mate of mine had a vespa for years and swore by it. But he also had more money than me :) I will defo keep an eye out for a bargain though if there's one to be had.

As for scoots, Ive looked into the Aerox. It looks like a nifty little number alright :) and they're not too expensive either!

Would I be right in assuming that these bigger wheels would equate to a safer scooter? Like running over potholes and stuff becomes less of an issue?

Vespa is solid buletproof bike but once broken parts cost fortune.
    Aprilia is more about look then what is inside. i woudlnt go near.

If 50cc anf u wanna something that will last forever once again stock setup aerox or katana cheap and easy to sell.

About adds

The first aerox is old and rusty and not really cheap if you ask me i would not buy that1 the aprilia looks ok but i dont trust them unless you can handle troubles here and there.
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/aerox-type-r/2790843

This is 2009 i dont like the pipe change, it could have affect the engine but just for yiu to have idea- buy something newer then 2005 its possible. Also note 850 on add is asking price - so i can imagine 500-600 would be the price the guy can sell.

Technically bigger wheels are better but I wouldn't be worried. The aerox has grand size for what they are. Tires are more important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I started off with a 50cc Aprilla then moved onto a 200cc Vespa within a few months. After a few years, moved onto a 250cc Yamaha 'cause of the clutch cable snapping on a regular basis (every 6-12 weeks).

The Vespa was fun to have, but requires a fair bit of TLC compared to the Yamaha.

One thing to be aware of when going for a bike license - if you do your test on an automatic (twist 'n go) bike, you're restricted to automatic bikes. If you do your test on a manual bike, you'll have a more open licence ...

Vespa parts aren't expensive at all. Have a look at http://www.sip-scootershop.com for examples in euro.

I have been riding vespas PX's 10 years and have only had 1 throttle cable and 1 clutch cable break in all that time...if your clutch cable is breaking every 6 weeks then the system is not set up properly! Try using uprated stronger cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

Hey all great to see all this advice, another newbie here researching getting on to 2 wheels. I guess like a lot of people I am looking at a cheap second hand 50cc auto scooter, I only need something for weekends scooting out to the burbs and back. I cycle during the week in city centre.

Would LOVE LOVE to get my hands on a vespa but budget probably isnt going to stretch to one at the moment, seems like anything decent is well over €1k. So will start checking out the Aerox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would suggest the Vespa myself, if possible go for a 200cc I doubt you will reget it. I have a couple of mid-range bikes but I also have a px2000 and wouldn't get rid of it. I would consider an automatic scooter myself, I perfer to have a clucht and gears. The list of positives Tomohawk gave is really comprehensive.

If I was picking a scooter for commuting around the city I would go for a px you have enough power to get away from any danger when you need it.

if only i had the euro! maybe ill build up to a vespa!

hey all have another question:

i take the odd trip Dublin to Laois to see friends, would a scooter get you down? And are you allowed drive them on the motorway???????

dublin34 wrote: »
    hey all have another question:

i take the odd trip Dublin to Laois to see friends, would a scooter get you down? And are you allowed drive them on the motorway???????

Has to be over 50cc for motorway. I would often go from Dublin to Louth no problem. A 125 would ok, though I did have the cops stop me on M50 once thinking 200cc was too small for the motorway, but that's the Garda for you.

If you want to do any distance like that motorways or not I would suggest going over the 150cc but a 125cc would do, but you wouldn't want to be doing that distance every day.

I was out on my own Vespa today and met a lovely Lambretta TV200 at a set of light, lovely bike great condition for a 65D reg

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »

I was out on my own Vespa today and met a lovely Lambretta TV200 at a set of light, lovely bike great condition for a 65D reg

JEALOUS!! I WANT A VESPA! might have to sell a body part

JEALOUS!! I WANT A VESPA! might have to sell a body part

In that case, just wait that bit longer and keep saving until you can get one. Is that an option, I can't see there being that much in the overall price especially if you go for a 125, however, I would suggest you go for a 200. A 200 is worth the wait.

If you do get a vespa look up some of the clubs like the Vespa Club of Ireland, the are regular events and such going on. This can be a good way for you learn more about looking after you bike.

At the end of the how much longer would you have to wait to buy a vespa, one month, two, three? That goes quick enough

Has to be over 50cc for motorway. I would often go from Dublin to Louth no problem. A 125 would ok, though I did have the cops stop me on M50 once thinking 200cc was too small for the motorway, but that's the Garda for you.

If you want to do any distance like that motorways or not I would suggest going over the 150cc but a 125cc would do, but you wouldn't want to be doing that distance every day.

In that case, just wait that bit longer and keep saving until you can get one. Is that an option, I can't see there being that much in the overall price especially if you go for a 125, however, I would suggest you go for a 200. A 200 is worth the wait.

If you do get a vespa look up some of the clubs like the Vespa Club of Ireland, the are regular events and such going on. This can be a good way for you learn more about looking after you bike.

At the end of the how much longer would you have to wait to buy a vespa, one month, two, three? That goes quick enough

Well on a (mature) student budget it might take a while, but I really want one so perhaps waiting is the best option. I havent seen many 200 for sale, are they hard to find second hand?

I have a px200, I got it 2nd hand in Scooter Island for 1500 euro but they are rarer than 125s 'cos people like to hold onto them and they aren't made any more since the mid 2000s. Buy a T5 or T5 Classic if you want a fast 125 just as quick as a good px200...

Tomohawk wrote: »
    I have a px200, I got it 2nd hand in Scooter Island for 1500 euro but they are rarer than 125s 'cos people like to hold onto them and they aren't made any more since the mid 2000s. Buy a T5 or T5 Classic if you want a fast 125 just as quick as a good px200...

THanks for the info, I am going to go into Scooter Island next week and talk to them, see what they have.

Try and get a more modern vespa, disk brakes came as standard from 1998 PX's onwards. Before that hub brakes were standard on the front wheel of 1980 and 1990 PX's. Big difference between hub and disc brakes for driving confidence.

Try Adverts and Donedeal for Vespa and Lml. I picked up a 2005 LML 125 for 600 euro last month on Adverts in Dublin, only 2500 on the clock and driving well. Bought it within a day of the ad going up! Between 600 and 1000 would be a very good price for a 2000s Vespa or LML. Most vespa ads are around 1300-1500 but you can bargain them down at least 100 quid, sometimes more if they want rid of the bike after it sitting around a couple of weeks or if little things need fixing on the scooter. But if buying privately be prepared to buy quickly, 'cos cheap bikes usually don't hang around more than a few days or hours sometimes...

Scooter Island are good to deal with and at least you will get some sort of warranty as a first time buyer to ease your mind. Colin or Mark will help you out in there...

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Try and get a more modern vespa, disk brakes came as standard from 1998 PX's onwards. Before that hub brakes were standard on the front wheel of 1980 and 1990 PX's. Big difference between hub and disc brakes for driving confidence.

Try Adverts and Donedeal for Vespa and Lml. I picked up a 2005 LML 125 for 600 euro last month on Adverts in Dublin, only 2500 on the clock and driving well. Bought it within a day of the ad going up! Between 600 and 1000 would be a very good price for a 2000s Vespa or LML. Most vespa ads are around 1300-1500 but you can bargain them down at least 100 quid, sometimes more if they want rid of the bike after it sitting around a couple of weeks or if little things need fixing on the scooter. But if buying privately be prepared to buy quickly, 'cos cheap bikes usually don't hang around more than a few days or hours sometimes...

Scooter Island are good to deal with and at least you will get some sort of warranty as a first time buyer to ease your mind. Colin or Mark will help you out in there...

Thanks for all the info Tomohawk! €600 wow lucky you....will start checking regularly. Going get the IBT out of the way first anyway so a few quid to be spent on that!

Well on a (mature) student budget it might take a while, but I really want one so perhaps waiting is the best option. I havent seen many 200 for sale, are they hard to find second hand?

There are more 125saround, but 200s do come up. I brought my off my brother for 1400 after he brought and discoverd his licence only covers him for up to 125.

However you will see 200s for around that price but as noted they go fast. Scooter Island is good, but I find their prices a tad excessive, when I go to pick up another one I would be buying private. However, if your starting off they would be a good place to start.

I know what it is like to be a mature student alright, I would say just take your time and get the bike to suit you. You don't want to take the first thing that comes along and be bored with it within a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I've driven a lot of scooters, get a 125cc! 50cc is painfully weak... 125cc will still get good economy and won't cost that much more to buy. Also, if you ever want to carry a pillion passenger a 125cc shouldn't have any problem, a 50CC will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

500euro for IBT
    200-300 insurance

Go to Cotters in Ballymount Industrial Estate, they will kit you out with a decent lid, jacket, gloves and padded bottoms for 250 I reckon.
    Id advise on the padded trousers, my first bike was a scooter, I had an accident where I came off with only rain trousers on and landed on my left knee and nearly ruined it.
    Id advise you to get boots too, to protect your feet and ankles in a fall.

Advertisement