Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The lord is coming"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the raven wrote: »
    I asked him to leave the estate

Are you a guard, or is the estate private property?

The man is mentally ill.

Are you a psychiatrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

Anyone who has direct contact with a god has some serious problems.

Whether I'm a psychiatrist or not isn't an issue, the man was passing unsolicited, offensive and upsetting material to my private home and to my neighbours, whom I respect, and I took it upon myself to ask him to leave the estate.

A request isn't an order, I don't need to be a guard to ask someone to leave.

I find it ridiculous that you challenge me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Anyone who has direct contact with a god has some serious problems.

Whether I'm a psychiatrist or not isn't an issue, the man was passing unsolicited, offensive and upsetting material to my private home and to my neighbours, whom I respect, and I took it upon myself to ask him to leave the estate.

A request isn't an order, I don't need to be a guard to ask someone to leave.

I find it ridiculous that you challenge me on this.
    You won't be saying all that when God comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

ScumLord wrote: »
    You won't be saying all that when God comes.

the tae has been waiting since Tuesday and the biscuits are soft from sitting open on the table, I don't think he's coming at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Thanks for the update, it's good to know that we aren't the only ones being told to expect a visit.

• Advertisement

... the man was passing unsolicited, offensive and upsetting material to my private home and to my neighbours, whom I respect, and I took it upon myself to ask him to leave the estate.

Well I find most election material Sinn Fein to be unsolicited, offensive and upsetting (to pick but one example).

That doesn't give me the right to tell them not to distribute the material to my neighbours - or not to distribute it to those of my neighbours who I respect.

If someone is in your private property doing something that you don't like, then by all means ask them to leave.

But if someone is in your estate behaving in a way that is out of order, then call the guards: they are the ones with authority to move them along, or arrest them if they are breaking laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Hi Little My,

yeah, a tall guy with a big black beard put exactly the same message through my letterbox, i live up past Taylor's Hill.
    He was going around putting them through everyone's letterbox.
    I went out to him and started asking him questions. I asked him to leave the estate - he said he wasn't harming anyone and that he was just doing what he was told to do.
    "Who asked you to do this?"

"God".

The man is mentally ill.

looks like it could of been Mrs O Bumble at your door, the raven!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It is a bit worrying having someone out of touch with reality roaming around an estate, particularly if there are kids out etc.
    However the guards might be a better bet than confronting him yourself. He mightn't be breaking any laws but they might know his background and if there's cause to be worried they might have a word with him and warn him off. Also if he is mentally ill Id prefer to think he'd be handled with care, not ridiculed or intimidated,for everyones best interest. Not suggesting you'd handle it like that Raven but it's probably not the best if people just take it upon themselves to go sorting something like this out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Well I find most election material Sinn Fein to be unsolicited, offensive and upsetting (to pick but one example).

That doesn't give me the right to tell them not to distribute the material to my neighbours - or not to distribute it to those of my neighbours who I respect.

Sure it does, you have every right to tell them such. They have every right to ignore what you tell them. :D

It is a bit worrying having someone out of touch with reality roaming around an estate, particularly if there are kids out etc. .

You mean like a banking executive, or a drunk student? :pac:

The vast majority of people who live with mental illnesses are no danger to anyone except themselves.

Just because someone believes in God, and feels inspired to distribute literature about it does not make them mentally ill.

Comment's like the Raven made simply perpetuate stereotypes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've been following this thread with interest.

I find it hard to believe that the badly spelt and poorly written note, that Little My posted, constitutes literature.

More like some local children having a good laugh after being forced to go to Sunday School:D.

You mean like a banking executive, or a drunk student? :pac:

The vast majority of people who live with mental illnesses are no danger to anyone except themselves.

Just because someone believes in God, and feels inspired to distribute literature about it does not make them mentally ill.

Comment's like the Raven made simply perpetuate stereotypes.

Someone hand scrawling notes predicting an end of times on the instruction of God sounds out of touch to me.

And of course the vast majority of mentally ill people are not dangerous at all.Sometimes though someone who is mentally unwell does something provocative like distributing notes and draws unpleasant attention to themselves that they might not be able to cope with.For their own sake as much as anyone else's they'd probably be wiser to handle their faith /inclinations towards evangelising differently in my opinion.Id much rather think anyone dealing with them would err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Hi Little My,

yeah, a tall guy with a big black beard put exactly the same message through my letterbox, i live up past Taylor's Hill.
    He was going around putting them through everyone's letterbox.
    I went out to him and started asking him questions. I asked him to leave the estate - he said he wasn't harming anyone and that he was just doing what he was told to do.
    "Who asked you to do this?"

"God".

The man is mentally ill.

He has just left my place. He cycled up, rang the bell and when I opened the door he said:
    "Watch the Middle-East - the day of judgement is coming" He mentioned something about Joshua, got on his bike, and rode off.

Very strange.

dilallio wrote: »
    He has just left my place. He cycled up, rang the bell and when I opened the door he said:
    "Watch the Middle-East - the day of judgement is coming" He mentioned something about Joshua, got on his bike, and rode off.

Very strange.

Handy to know all the same:)

Can't help feel a bit worried for him,that he mightn't be quite well,would knock on the wrong persons door and things could get out of hand. Here's hoping this ends well!

Advertisement