Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Service

Options
  • 17-03-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I know its been asked before but after doing a search i could not find anything recent. My car badly needs a service and i was hoping to get some advice on where to take it on the southside of the city that is reliable and of course must be reasonable. Plugs have just been done but all filters, fluids etc need to be done. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What kind of car is it, Katieboo?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

It's an 02 ford fiesta. it's running very rough at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Crap there was a very good deal on groupon. sign up for it, they usually repeat this type of stuff. full service for 49euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

katieboo wrote: »
    I know its been asked before but after doing a search i could not find anything recent. My car badly needs a service and i was hoping to get some advice on where to take it on the southside of the city that is reliable and of course must be reasonable. Plugs have just been done but all filters, fluids etc need to be done. Thanks

John Coughlan on Togher Road..

He's across from the Lough Credit Union just passed the lights at Togher/Clashduv Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Bmw eastgate had a any car service for 50 or 55 euro. Find out whats included.

On a different note a service isnt a cure all. Running rough might be a different issue.

Just hate the idea some have, my car just broke down must need a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

If its filters and fluids service you want, then its a really easy thing to do yourself.

You'll need a screwdriver and the relevant parts. thats it more or less. And any motor factors will give you the right parts, you just tell them your reg or car type and year.

Its not a scary process at all.

but if its not running right, its not a service issue. did it get rough after the plugs were changed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    Crap there was a very good deal on groupon. sign up for it, they usually repeat this type of stuff. full service for 49euro

you couldn't buy the parts for that, never mind service it! all these are scam services, they might change your oil if your lucky!

mawk wrote: »
    If its plugs and fluids service you want, then its a really easy thing to do yourself.

You'll need a screwdriver and the relevant parts. thats it more or less. And any motor factors will give you the right parts, you just tell them your reg or car type and year.

but if its not running right, its not a service issue. did it get rough after the plugs were changed?

Good point could be a damaged ht lead since plug change.

aman23 wrote: »
    you couldn't buy the parts for that, never mind service it! all these are scam services, they might change your oil if your lucky!

Well you might need to open your eyes then cus I did get it for that ;)

did ya see what they done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I don't put it beyond businesses to do things below cost to get extra business later, but.. oil, 30e, air filter 10e, oil filter 10e, 30 mins labour 10e...
    I can't see a garage doing a very through service for 49e no matter how many they were going to do.

Maybe change oil but not filter, obd2 diagnostic, top up coolant&kick the tyres?

--
    Edit

I'm not being funny saying that either hedgehog. Make sure you didn't get a cowboy service. You don't want critical maintenance left undone because a garage gave you a wrong impression of what they did

corkgsxr wrote: »
    did ya see what they done?

Not me personally, as it wasn't my car, but yes said person did see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

Well i'm happy for you. if you can get, air filter, oil filter, four or more litres of reasonably good oil, 3-6 spark plugs(petrol) or fuel filter(diesel). Then get a muppet to fit these parts to your car, and remove and dispose of, your old parts and oil. You got a great deal, on a service. If you got any less, you did not get a service. You got a mini service or a cheap oil change(and i mean cheap oil)
    But if you take into account, some spark plugs can cost up to €20 or more each, and most would have between 3-6. Any reasonably good oil can cost €40 or more for four liters, and some fuel filters can cost up to €70. Then take an hour or more of someones time, to service the car, and stand over their work, should something go wrong.
    Now if you still believe, you got all that done for under fifty euro! you are the one going around with your eyes closed!
    But if you really did! The person that did it for you, is a bigger muppet!:P

aman23 wrote: »
    Well i'm happy for you. if you can get, air filter, oil filter, four or more litres of reasonably good oil, 3-6 spark plugs(petrol) or fuel filter(diesel). Then get a muppet to fit these parts to your car, and remove and dispose of, your old parts and oil. You got a great deal, on a service. If you got any less, you did not get a service. You got a mini service or a cheap oil change(and i mean cheap oil)
    But if you take into account, some spark plugs can cost up to €20 or more each, and most would have between 3-6. Any reasonably good oil can cost €40 or more for four liters, and some fuel filters can cost up to €70. Then take an hour or more of someones time, to service the car, and stand over their work, should something go wrong.
    Now if you still believe, you got all that done for under fifty euro! you are the one going around with your eyes closed!
    But if you really did! The person that did it for you, is a bigger muppet!:P

Just to argue the point. Most wouldn't include the fuel filter. Just drain it.

But plugs 15 for 4.
    Oil they'd get it for 25-30
    Air 10
    Oil filter 10

Best price I could imagine. And its still not 50 euro

And those deal sites take up to 50% so only 25 euro.

Imagine any of those deals are oil and filter thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I can reccomend Automotif on kinsale rd, across from harvey norman.

Have been there for a few small jobs, and a service. They also sell tyres.
    Their lads are Proper fully qualified mechanics and in my experience are good at what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

I don't put it beyond businesses to do things below cost to get extra business later, but.. oil, 30e, air filter 10e, oil filter 10e, 30 mins labour 10e...
    I can't see a garage doing a very through service for 49e no matter how many they were going to do.

Maybe change oil but not filter, obd2 diagnostic, top up coolant&kick the tyres?

--
    Edit

I'm not being funny saying that either hedgehog. Make sure you didn't get a cowboy service. You don't want critical maintenance left undone because a garage gave you a wrong impression of what they did

I used one of these groupon vouchers last year - service for 50-60 euro if I recall. A nationwide name based in Little Island. Got the car serviced - was told my tracking was out, I needed two flexible brake hoses, something else too. All in all I was told it would cost me a 200 euro approx.

So I booked in for the following week. Called in & there was a mix up with my appointment. So I had to wait an hour.

So I called over to another car service place very close by as I had time to kill, asked them to have a look - was told my tracking was fine, nor did I need new flexible brake hoses or whatever the other thing was.

Last time I'll be using that establishment for obvious reasons, nor would I EVER buy car service coupons online. Its a scam imo and to be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

i service my own car, the 3 filters and decent oil cost me €50 alone. anywhere offering a service for €50 is not doing a proper service with proper parts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

--
    Edit

LOL do you really think they're putting in 30 euro worth of oil in one of those services? 10 euro would be more like it. All those offers always include cheap oil and only apply to small engines. Parts will cost them under 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

If its filters and fluids service you want, then its a really easy thing to do yourself.

it's actually better since the plugs were changed. have been advised that the coil pack and leads may need to be replaced. just got a price of €72 for the lot including VATand a friend can do it. still does need a service in general, oil, filters etc.

Thanks for the suggestions

Advertisement