Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling in

Options
  • 17-03-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

the closest I can get to gettin barreled at the moment is a few close low tide but hollw beach breaks.
    But I always flake out at the last minute. whats the worst that can happen!??

Experince/Advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

I think it's a good idea to get clear of the board at the very last second. If you hold on to the very end you usually get flipped, board goes arseways and you get washed to the inside. You do get a great view though and you will be pumped so the wipeout will probably be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

There are breaks out there that'll allow you to take off easy enough and if you work on stalling the board the barrell with catch up with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

That's the advantage of having fins and a bodyboard in the boot for backup.
    It's much easier to get barrels on a sponge,as you can slow down with the fins and then match the speed of the wave...
    The north end of Fanore threw up a few barrels yesterday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimgsi

any hollow beachies in the north west? i usually stick to the reefs but id quite enjoy a few beachie barrels to get a trashing on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Jaysus, have a horn for surf at the moment, injury and the forecast have kept me out the water for 5 weeks now. Anyhow, these would be my tips on attempting to get barreled.
    • Surf waves that barrel - no brainer but you can't be claiming at lahinch left.
    • Keep your eyes on the lip line - even from take off, look up at that as opposed to down in front of you.
    • Keep eyes OPEN - even when pulling into close outs.
    • Lead with your hand. Frontside, point your hand where you want to go, Backside, point with the shoulder line.
    • Stay high and tight - compact yourself to your board.
    • Pull in, pull in, pull in - if a section presents itself, pull in, as opposed to dropping down and around. Sounds easy, but its often a split second decision.
    • Experience - only practise and time will teach you when you need to stall and when you need to put down the front foot and charge for the light :)
    • Once in the green room - look for the exit :)

On getting thrashed, well, that's what surfing is all about, wave energy, to get the good you need to prepared for the bad.

I've read its best to come off in front of your board, keeping it behind you, although whenever I try this I seem to get tangled up with it. Usually with a barrel wipeout you have so much momentum its over before you know it. The worse case is bailing, then getting picked up and tossed over with the lip. For this you just want to ball up, relax and wait for the madness to end.

Good luck. It may seem daunting but a good barrel is soul food to us surfers and the better ones are rarely forgotten. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement