Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near complete Valdosauros find at Dino Capital of the UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

If I of White is cap of the UK then Lleida must be Cap of Europe, they are after discovering a mega nesting ground used by up to 5 species in the same place there, in an area that at some stage, use to be a Marsh. Cretaceous period.

Found in more than 25 stratigraphic layers, Dinos must have been chilling out there for millions of years.

800px-Quebrada_de_Cafayate%2C_Salta_%28Argentina%29.jpg

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130312134912.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratigraphy

How long does it take an eggshell to breakdown? If one of those eggs ^^ got buried by dust from Earths Extinction Asteroid, how long would it be OK for in the ground?

Could get this fella working on cloning some DNA (apparently it's still good) and have little Sauropods running round the place again.:D

He's trying to bring back this Frog...
    Simply put, the mother frog converts her stomachs into a womb. She swallows her own eggs and stops making hydrochloric acid in her stomach to avoid digesting her own young. Around 20 to 25 tadpoles hatch inside her and the mucus from their gills continues to keep the acid at bay. While the tadpoles grow over the next six weeks, mum never eats. Her stomach bloats so much that her lungs collapse, forcing her to breathe through her skin. Eventually, she gives birth to her brood through “propulsive vomiting”, spewing them into the world as fully-formed froglets.

...has to be the weirdest one of the weirdest routes to reproduction ever. Here's a nice pic for your collection Adam.:P

fig1.jpg

See down at the bottom of that Article, Candidates for de-extinction
    PLEISTOCENE MEGAFAUNA

Woolly mammoth
    Mastodon
    Smilodon (saber-toothed cat)

Would be a bit more manageable than a Sauro alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I already have that pic! :D It's the thought that counts tho haha

Not sure a pack of sabertooths would be much more manageable than a large theropod, tho... big cats are about as deadly as carnivorans get today, but sabertooths look like they were on a league of their own to me...

smilodon.jpg

Adam Khor wrote: »
    I already have that pic! :D It's the thought that counts tho haha

Not sure a pack of sabertooths would be much more manageable than a large theropod, tho... big cats are about as deadly as carnivorans get today, but sabertooths look like they were on a league of their own to me...
    You're right. Look at what a little Lab is capable of...:eek::D

Mammoth it is so.

Mammoth it is so.
    Ah, no, leave them where they are.

Nothing, however, has fueled the mammoth tusk trade more than the rise of China, which has an ivory-carving tradition going back thousands of years. Nearly 90 percent of all mammoth tusks hauled out of Siberia—estimated at more than 60 tons a year, though the actual figure may be higher—end up in China, where legions of the newly rich are entranced by ivory. The spike in demand has worried some scientists, who lament the loss of valuable data; like the trunk of a tree, a tusk contains clues about diet, climate, and the environment. Even Yakutiyans wonder how quickly this nonrenewable resource will be depleted. Millions of mammoth tusks, perhaps more, are still locked in Siberia’s permafrost, but already they’re becoming harder to find.
    It was hoped that mammoth ivory would ease the pressure on a far more endangered resource: elephants. Mammoth ivory is legal, even if the trade is poorly regulated. The two kinds of ivory, moreover, can be distinguished by tusk patterns known as Schreger lines. Their prices are also roughly equivalent. Still, there are no signs yet that Asian demand for elephant ivory is flagging. On the contrary, the slaughter of African elephants has intensified, and in 2012 Hong Kong customs officials seized a record six tons of elephant ivory. Further complicating the issue is that illegal elephant ivory and legal mammoth ivory often end up in the same carving workshops in China.

• Advertisement

New find

Vectidraco daisymorrisae, named after 4yo Daisy (now 9yo) that found the bones walking with her mother at I of W.
    Daisy's mum Sian Morris said her daughter had started fossil hunting aged three and came across the blackened "bones sticking out of the sand" in 2009, when she was four years old.

The Morris family, from Whitwell, approached Southampton University's 'Fossil Man' Mr Simpson with Daisy's finds in 2009.

"I knew I was looking at something very special. And I was right," said Mr Simpson.

The fossil turned out to be a new genus and species of small pterosaur; a flying reptile from the Lower Cretaceous period.
    Vectidraco daisymorrisae Vectidraco means 'dragon from the Isle of Wight’, and daisymorrisae honours Daisy Morris

The new species and name was confirmed in a scientific paper published on Monday
    The confirmation of Vectidraco daisymorrisae comes a week after the discovery on the island of an almost complete skeleton of a 12-feet long dinosaur.

New find

Vectidraco daisymorrisae, named after 4yo Daisy (now 9yo) that found the bones walking with her mother at I of W.

What is this, Im having memory failures at age 24?? I thought I had already posted these news but apparently, well, I hadn´t D:

Anyways, I always thought small pterosaurs were more abundant during the Cretaceous than we are told... this little guy seems to support that idea :>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

palaeontologists found a neck bone of a Sauropod which weighed roughly 54 tonnes.
    :eek:
    54 tonne neck bone , it's gotta be Gorgo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgo_%28film%29 it tells the story of an underwater monster's capture off the coast of Ireland.

Do you read alot of wikipedia?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you read alot of wikipedia?
    nah just too lazy to look up a good page on Gorgo

• Advertisement

nah just too lazy to look up a good page on Gorgo

Never saw the movie but I remember reading a book in which Spielberg mentioned Gorgo as one of the dinosaur movies that inspired him for Jurassic Park (!) as it showed a caring side to the dinosaur- going after its kidnapped baby and all that. It may have been the main inspiration behind the whole T-Rex in San Diego sequence in TLW...

Too bad fossil evidence now suggests that T-Rex were probably not so family-oriented...

if you like rubber monsters it's a good movie.

First saw it when young and then there was the bit 1:00 into the trailer above and it was "here we go" :)

The bit on the Island later on is like the bit of Godzilla in Panama that you don't see. I still don't know why Godzilla picked New York but this film explains London very well.

As for Japanese monsters attacking Tokyo ? This quote says it all
    The movie begins with Tokyo exploding, which for anime is the cliché equivalent of "It was a dark and stormy night."

Advertisement