Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strange spider-could it hurt me?

• 17-03-2013 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Okay guys,i awoke today to find a fairly large spider sitting on by the fireplace.Its nothing iv ever seen before it had two sections to its body and very well defined "knee" joints.Its legs were blackish with a brown body and what seemed to be fangs on its head these fangs where about the same size as the tip of a biro pen.it was very placid and wouldnt move away when i blew on it but as soon as i tried to put the spider outside via plastic box it jumped for my finger but i swished it off,its now wondering around my home somewhere! :eek: 99.9% of the time i would move house spiders with my bare hands and i have no fear of spiders but this one was very different! i will continue to search for a picture online but does anyone have any idea as to what it could be?
    Id say the leg span if it fully extended them would be about 5-6 inches.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

without a picture it's going to be next to impossible to tell, so get your camera ready and get a snap of the little fecker for us to look at.

i'd also avoid watching arachnophobia for a while, just to be on the safe side. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's probably fine. There are almost zero dangerous spiders in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Will we have to wait until the wee hours to get an update?

Six inch legs and Biro tip size fangs. Just hope it's not a female.

Probably is given its size

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Its-mating-season-in-Ireland-for-monster-size-spiders-169061066.html
    Is it this?..horrible little(big) ******s. Hate these, they inhabit my house often enough...or they did...until I got a cat

kylith wrote: »
    It's probably fine. There are almost zero dangerous spiders in Ireland.

That is the word the op will fix on to confirm his fears :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Do you live near a harbour at all op? Exotic creepy crawlies sometimes make their way here on the ships or even in the packaging of goods coming from overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Come on OP we want a photo! As its breeding season OP I wouldn't be surprised if its carrying hundreds of little baby spiders too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've seen a good few False Widows around over the last few years, probably harmless but they do invoke in me that primal instinct to run away crying like a little girl. :D

There's one in my bin shed right now, it eyeballs me every time I'm in there...

I think we all know who owns the bin shed now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

They are allways watching.

Nursery_Web_Spider_Eyes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

smcgiff wrote: »
    That is the word the op will fix on to confirm his fears :p

Then my work here is done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

as far as i remember they do contain venom and if bitten , its pretty harmless , might cause a slight bit of irritation ,

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭focus 23

This is the little bugger! http://imgur.com/URbVBmo He has since been disposed of! He crawled into the fire and then my friend proceeded to close it and light the fire (I wanted to keep it)
    Was it dangerous? Was he right in killing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pennywise12

focus 23 wrote: »
    Okay guys,i awoke today to find a fairly large spider sitting on by the fireplace.Its nothing iv ever seen before it had two sections to its body and very well defined "knee" joints.Its legs were blackish with a brown body and what seemed to be fangs on its head these fangs where about the same size as the tip of a biro pen.it was very placid and wouldnt move away when i blew on it but as soon as i tried to put the spider outside via plastic box it jumped for my finger but i swished it off,its now wondering around my home somewhere! :eek: 99.9% of the time i would move house spiders with my bare hands and i have no fear of spiders but this one was very different! i will continue to search for a picture online but does anyone have any idea as to what it could be?
    Id say the leg span if it fully extended them would be about 5-6 inches.
    Thanks
    Can u get a pic of it up please ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

This is the little bugger! http://imgur.com/URbVBmo He has since been disposed of! He crawled into the fire and then my friend proceeded to close it and light the fire (I wanted to keep it)

He/she looks very scary!

foxinsox wrote: »

He/she looks very scary!
    Wow .. She is a beaut !! I'm no expert but it does look alien to Ireland , I'd love to find out what it is , do u mind if I steal the pic to show an expert online ?? Don't think u should of killed it .. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Don't think u should of killed it .. :(

I disagree. Killing it with fire was a public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Wow .. She is a beaut !! I'm no expert but it does look alien to Ireland , I'd love to find out what it is , do u mind if I steal the pic to show an expert online ?? Don't think u should of killed it .. :(

You quoted my post.

It's not my spider!

Scroll up you'll see where the OP posted the pic, I just quoted their post :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's a Wolf spider. Do you have a pic of the actual spider, and not one you think it looks like?

Agreed. I would NOT have picked that up in my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

Oh, beaten to it. These are small spiders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It's okay, I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway... :o

foxinsox wrote: »

You quoted my post.

It's not my spider!

Scroll up you'll see where the OP posted the pic, I just quoted their post :-)
    Sorry , I'm new to the site , still getting the hang of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

:eek:

Oh god, why did I look at it. Now I feel itchy all over. :( I think if I seen something like that in my house, I'd burn it down.

Advertisement