Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF is St Pattys day

• 17-03-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Happy St. Pattys Day! Wahoo!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They're shortening Patrick to Pat instead of Paddy. There's no letter d in American English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It would make more sense to an American that Patty is short for Patrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its snowing in dublin now and its not green wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I have absolutely no idea.I do know that it's intensely irritating though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

This post has been deleted.

It's to celebrate their burgers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

True Story, Years ago I was travelling in america trying to find somewhese to live and work and there was a 40 foot off banner in Chicago on the side of a skyscraper saying 'happy pattys Day' I asked a randomer what St pattys day was and They acted like I was mental or something not knowing it what with my irish accent and all.

So Jesus wept and I decided that america wasnt the place for me so I visited texas for a month or so and went home.

The end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

True Story, Years ago I was travelling in america trying to find somewhese to live and work and there was a 40 foot off banner in Chicago on the side of a skyscraper saying 'happy pattys Day' I asked a randomer what St pattys day was and They acted like I was mental or something not knowing it what with my irish accent and all.

So Jesus wept and I decided that america wasnt the place for me so I visited texas for a month or so and went home.

The end

True Story, ......blah ...blah ...blah ...... I'm a thanks whore.

The End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Corkbah wrote: »
    True Story, ......blah ...blah ...blah ...... I'm a thanks whore.

The End.

Bizzare reply, Can I suggest a can of going and fúcking yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I kept calling it Paddy's Day last time I was over in the States and one of the American lads I knew asked if that was offensive, as in it was a day for paddys, not Paddy as in short for Patrick, had to explain that no we don't go around calling ourselves Paddys for a day :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

When I was over there they kept trying to feed me corned beef and boiled cabbage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes to all the above - daughter has been in the states for about 6 years. Every year someone asks her 'Do they celebrate St Patrick's day in Ireland?' This year has been a bumper harvest!

She was telling me about a display she saw in a supermarket - a small, random heap of cabbage, potatoes, and spices (for the corned beef) and beside it, an entire pallet of Guinness.

Apparently Paddy is considered offensive, so they say Patty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

looksee wrote: »
    Yes to all the above - daughter has been in the states for about 6 years. Every year someone asks her 'Do they celebrate St Patrick's day in Ireland?' This year has been a bumper harvest!

She was telling me about a display she saw in a supermarket - a small, random heap of cabbage, potatoes, and spices (for the corned beef) and beside it, an entire pallet of Guinness.

Apparently Paddy is considered offensive, so they say Patty.

Mmmmm breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wtf is St Paddys Day? No difference imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I have to agree I can't stand it when I see Pattys. I've had loads of arguments with Americans the last few days and they insist that I'm wrong and they're right and we'll all drink Guinness and fall over and hi diddly focking doe can be heard everywhere and we'll all piss and **** green for a day and go asleep saying ah to be sure to be sure. Stereotyping and ignorance at its finest.

As the bull would say "go home yank!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

How haughty it is to get on a high horse about how in America St. Patrick's day has through the 100’s of years been morphed into a colloquial term. How feck*n arrogant. Never mind the millions they spend on keeping it alive and celebrating it. There are tons of words that are swapped around in the English language Ff's sake.

This outrage is an embarrassment.

Happy St. Patty's day to one and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Chinasea wrote: »
    How haughty it is to get on a high horse about how in America St. Patrick's day has through the 100’s of years been morphed into a colloquial term. How feck*n arrogant. Never mind the millions they spend on keeping it alive and celebrating it. There are tons of words that are swapped around in the English language Ff's sake.

This outrage is an embarrassment.

Happy St. Patty's day to one and all.

AwwwooooooOOOOOOooooooo!! Handbags at dawn-arama!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What happens if Patty Smith gets canonized. Ya'll didn't plan ahead you short sighted americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

They have much better parades than we do anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hallmark holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Solair wrote: »
    When I was over there they kept trying to feed me corned beef and boiled cabbage!

The first time an american told me corned beef was a traditional irish meal i had to google it. And yes, apparently we all eat loads of corned beef according to the yanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

PingO_O wrote: »

better cheerleaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

It's because we shorten Pádraig to Paddy, whereas they shorten Patrick to Patty. So because they don't even know Pádraig is a word never mind that it's the Irish for Paddy, they shorten Patrick. When I lived in Canada I had this argument with work colleagues, who said Happy St. Patty's Day! to me about 50 times before I asked wtf the Patty was about. They accepted that it was Paddy's Day after I explained the Irish name :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Happy St. take your kids to the pub and get pissed off your head day.

I have to agree I can't stand it when I see Pattys. I've had loads of arguments with Americans the last few days and they insist that I'm wrong and they're right and we'll all drink Guinness and fall over and hi diddly focking doe can be heard everywhere and we'll all piss and **** green for a day and go asleep saying ah to be sure to be sure. Stereotyping and ignorance at its finest.

As the bull would say "go home yank!"

Id argue that any American that isnt a moron doesnt seriously think that way!In fairness a lot of people will drink too much, fall over and piss and sh** (maybe green in some cases) everywhere today. Ireland is known everywhere in the world for having a drinking culture but we don't say those effin' French how dare they stereotype us!!

And if it pisses you off that much just remember its probably innocent fun, it's ridiculous how much Americans love the Irish, I mean you literally get stopped in the street, on buses etc. as soon as they hear your accent. Let them have their Patty's day man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What?

Nothing beats an Irish parade, a line of tractors,vans & freezing kids from the local GAA club being watched by shivering spectators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Grayson wrote: »
    better cheerleaders.

Esp in cold weather.

zerks wrote: »
    What?

Nothing beats an Irish parade, a line of tractors,vans & freezing kids from the local GAA club being watched by shivering spectators.

Haha my favourite time of the year, keeps me going until the next lovely girls competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

We call it Paddy's Day and our family and friends in the States call it Patty's Day. Traditions evolved and geography made some quirky differences but nobody got hurt :D

Happy holiday to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Solair wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that. Having it today

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I read somewhere before they find the term "Paddy" to be a racist name for Irish people so they say "Patty"....

For a bunch of people who think its ok to have a drink named the Irish car bomb they've got their priorities seriously ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only person I think of when hearing the name "Patty" is the Glenn Close character in Damages, an evil old bat if ever there was one, the kind of person who would actually take snakes into a country where there weren't any before.

It's just part of the Americanisation of Irish culture, like the "authentic" wigs and OTT costumes now worn by a lot of Irish dancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I think of the Krusty Krab when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

They're shortening Patrick to Pat instead of Paddy. There's no letter d in American English.

If there is no d in American english then where the hell is Detroit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I read somewhere before they find the term "Paddy" to be a racist name for Irish people so they say "Patty"....

That's pretty much it. I don't understand why it annoys people so much. There's actually sites and campaigns set up (by Irish people mainly) to correct and tell off the Americans for being wrong!

Patty is used as a variation of Patrick in the states, just like Paddy is. They're not basing it on 'Padraig' like we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Alias G wrote: »
    If there is no d in American english then where the hell is Detroit.

Just west of Tetroit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Id argue that any American that isnt a moron doesnt seriously think that way!In fairness a lot of people will drink too much, fall over and piss and sh** (maybe green in some cases) everywhere today. Ireland is known everywhere in the world for having a drinking culture but we don't say those effin' French how dare they stereotype us!!

And if it pisses you off that much just remember its probably innocent fun, it's ridiculous how much Americans love the Irish, I mean you literally get stopped in the street, on buses etc. as soon as they hear your accent. Let them have their Patty's day man!

Haha ok point taken. It is ridiculous, I used to live there in a pretty bad area that was plagued with gangs and once the gangs found out we were Irish they'd bring us beer, sort us with passes to clubs and put us wide to everything. Great bunch of lads!

The patty thing just annoys me, Im not even Paddys day biggest fan. Patty just doesn't sit right!

Have they always called it patty or is it something recent?

Hallmark holiday
    They'll celebrate anything that sells cards! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I have an Aunt Patty..

It's Political Correctness from America. Cannot say Paddy, as it's considered as taboo as the word for Jews and the word for African-Americans.

Also they have been having St. Patricks day parades since 1737, so for centuries they have been hearing that we don't "Celebrate" it over here, which was kinda true up until the 70's, when we started our Parades.

More stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just been chatting to a mate of mine in America who has no Irish blood but she refuses to call it Patties Day and even her daughter knows about Padraig rather than Patty! It does my nut in even if it is their tradition. They are meant to be celebrating us not their idea of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

after Patty and Selma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you see anybody post "Patty's Day" send them this link:

http://PaddyNotPatty.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Just been chatting to a mate of mine in America who has no Irish blood but she refuses to call it Patties Day and even her daughter knows about Padraig rather than Patty! It does my nut in even if it is their tradition. They are meant to be celebrating us not their idea of us!

I thought it was meant to celebrate someone who brought Christianity to Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

It irritates me but it's fairly trivial so let them at it.

I do think the corned beef thing is weird. I always thought it was more of a Jewish favourite. Never been very common round these parts anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Allyall wrote: »

It's Political Correctness from America. Cannot say Paddy, as it's considered as taboo as the word for Jews and the word for African-Americans.

More stuff

I'm not sure about that as the derogatory term is Mick not Paddy in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

For a bunch of people who think its ok to have a drink named the Irish car bomb they've got their priorities seriously ****ed.

In fairness unlike in Ireland those people that make the decision that it shouldn't be called Paddy's Day and set policies in the country are likely not the all that submerged in the drinking scene....it's not like Ireland in that way.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    In fairness unlike in Ireland those people that make the decision that it shouldn't be called Paddy's Day and set policies in the country are likely not the all that submerged in the drinking scene....it's not like Ireland in that way.

Yes. Alcoholic politicians are unheard of in America.

Yes. Alcoholic politicians are unheard of in America.

Deflecting that completely wipes away the memories of the Politicians tents at the Galway Races and The Dáil Bar....

There's a difference between some and all....

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Deflecting that completely wipes away the memories of the Politicians tents at the Galway Races and The Dáil Bar....

There's a difference between some and all....

Are you seriously suggesting all Irish politicians are big drinkers? Alcohol plays a big role in many American political gatherings too.

Are you seriously suggesting all Irish politicians are big drinkers? Alcohol plays a big role in many American political gatherings too.

You're drunk right now, aren't you?

Why get defensive about it? Ireland has a major alcohol problem...deflecting and ignoring it...I just don't get it

• Advertisement
Advertisement