Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF is St Pattys day

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You're drunk right now, aren't you?

Why get defensive about it? Ireland has a major alcohol problem...deflecting and ignoring it...I just don't get it

What are you on about? Why is disagreeing with you being defensive? Are you unable to have a discussion without trying to discredit other posters?

FWIW I'm a non drinker. I just think you're talking irrelevant nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What are you on about? Why is disagreeing with you being defensive? Are you unable to have a discussion without trying to discredit other posters?

FWIW I'm a non drinker. I just think you're talking irrelevant nonsense.

What are you disagreeing with? your initial response was that American politicians drink too...American politicians drink at functions too..How many US Presidents got on an interview with the national broadcaster sh!t faced and then the discussion in the country was a long the lines of jesus that was awful unprofessional vs ah sure, he's only human, haven't we all shown up to work a bit out of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I thought it was meant to celebrate someone who brought Christianity to Ireland...

Feck that. I dont see it as anything to do with religion now, more just an excuse to praise the god of alcohol.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What are you disagreeing with? your initial response was that American politicians drink too...American politicians drink at functions too..How many US Presidents got on an interview with the national broadcaster sh!t faced and then the discussion in the country was a long the lines of jesus that was awful unprofessional vs ah sure, he's only human, haven't we all shown up to work a bit out of it...

I'm disagreeing with your assertion that those making policy in America are not involved in a "drinking culture" and with your assertion that all Irish politicians are big drinkers.

And pointing out that it's pretty pathetic to try to discredit posters who disagree with you with spurious accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Can't we just get back at them by wishing each other happy alien invasion day on the 4th of July!

Would they know we're doing it?

Would they give a ****e if they did?

I doubt it. So why should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

ive never been given corned beef or seen it in the press
    but ive had yanks home on holiday nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

An american tourist asked an englishman if they celebrated Independence Day.
    The englishman replied 'yes but we call it thanksgiving'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

krudler wrote: »
    I kept calling it Paddy's Day last time I was over in the States and one of the American lads I knew asked if that was offensive, as in it was a day for paddys, not Paddy as in short for Patrick, had to explain that no we don't go around calling ourselves Paddys for a day :pac:

I think that's why they call it Patty's day actually, because they think they word Paddy is offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Americans pronounce Pattys and Paddys the exact same.

So you should only get annoyed when you see it written wrong, not when it is spoken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Patti Mayonaise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

English in general tends to have a bit of a confusion between 't' and 'd' sounds.

E.g. "the -ed" ending sounds like "t"
    "walked" is pronounced more like "walkT"

In US English the "dd" in the middle of words is often pronounced more like "tt"

Hence Paddy and Patty are indistinguishable.

In Irish / British / Standard English there's a much clearer distinction between those two.

We tend to pronounce "t" much more strongly than Americans who tend to just leave it unvoiced / slip over it.

I wouldn't get hung up on the paddy's day vs patty's day it's the same thing.

Some people in the US get pretty annoyed if you call it either btw and prefer "St Patrick's Day"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Solair wrote: »
    English in general tends to have a bit of a confusion between 't' and 'd' sounds.

E.g. "the -ed" ending sounds like "t"
    "walked" is pronounced more like "walkT"

In US English the "dd" in the middle of words is often pronounced more like "tt"

Hence Paddy and Patty are indistinguishable.

In Irish / British / Standard English there's a much clearer distinction between those two.

We tend to pronounce "t" much more strongly than Americans who tend to just leave it unvoiced / slip over it.

I wouldn't get hung up on the paddy's day vs patty's day it's the same thing.

Some people in the US get pretty annoyed if you call it either btw and prefer "St Patrick's Day"
    plus it isnt just non native irish people who call it saint paddys day,all relatives of mine still living in ireland call it saint paddys day;it was all over their facebooks,several irish family friends living here called patrick refer to themselves as paddy,its weird how so many forumers think irish people collectively have a problem with it shortened to paddy, especialy when it is in a non derogatory way like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

MadsL wrote: »

I can't believe that's actually published. Clearly a proofreader is over budget. What a "faux paux".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

'The Ancient Order of Hibernians,(AOH)for example, should be consulted on proper and more traditional ways of dress and customs for this event.'

Consult a bunch of homophobic old farts?

• Advertisement

'The Ancient Order of Hibernians,(AOH)for example, should be consulted on proper and more traditional ways of dress and customs for this event.'

Consult a bunch of homophobic old farts?

Yes, apparently it is an old Irish custom to behave as if homosexuality is still illegal.

Proper dress eh?

They don't like this clothing much:

I regret to say that once again our proud and noble heritage is under attack by the forces of ignorance, prejudice and corporations that will peddle anything for a dollar. Once again Spencer’s, Urban Outfitters and Wal-Mart are selling shirts and novelties that seem to have sprung from the 19th Century pen of bigoted nativist cartoonist Thomas Nast. Among some of the items on offer this year:

A hat with “Irish Girl Wasted” (Spencer’s)
    A green shamrock emblazoned shirt with “Everyone Loves a Drunk Slut” (Spencer’s)
    A shirt with “Whiskey Beer Repeat” in the colors of the Irish Tricolor (Urban Outfitters)
    A green pint glass with “Irish Today, Hung Over Tomorrow” (Urban Outfitters)
    A shirt with a Leprechaun wearing shade and holding a crock filled with marijuana leaves and the caption “I always carry a little Pot with me” (Urban Outfitters)
    Drink till your “stumble” with a leprechaun falling down (Wal-Mart)
    A leprechaun vomiting a rainbow into a pot of gold (Wal-Mart)

http://www.aoh.com/2013/03/10/aoh-protests-spencers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

MadsL wrote: »
    Proper dress eh?

They don't like this clothing much:

http://www.aoh.com/2013/03/10/aoh-protests-spencers/[/QUOTE]

Well, they do have a point here. If this stuff came out with Asian or African American slurs they'd be blue bloody murder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Scruffles wrote: »
    plus it isnt just non native irish people who call it saint paddys day,all relatives of mine still living in ireland call it saint paddys day;it was all over their facebooks,several irish family friends living here called patrick refer to themselves as paddy,its weird how so many forumers think irish people collectively have a problem with it shortened to paddy, especialy when it is in a non derogatory way like this.

I have no problem with Paddy's Day or Patty's Day. As you say, it's not being used in a derogatory way.

All depends on context.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Speaking of the American view of the Irish and St. Patrick's Day, I live just outside a village with 5 pubs, it had a small Paddy's Day parade, which I attended with the family and went home for lunch.

While we were having lunch "The Simpsons" was on the telly, the St. Patrick's Day version, which I didn't know existed but anyway the Simpsons flew to Ireland and their first stop was O'Flanagan's Pub, and of course upon entering they were met with the sight of 2 red headed guys beating the crap out of each other and I thought, what is it with the Brits and the Yanks, their view of the Irish, drinkin and fightin and that's it.

Some time later, about 5.30 I had to go through the village to the filling station and had to stop on the main street which was blocked by what looked like a film set, a scene from "The Simpsons, St, Patrick's Day, The Movie".

6 Guys, 1 of them waving a bottle, 4 of them beating the heads of one another and another held by 2 guards on the bonnet of the squad car.

And I just thought, yeah maybe the Simpsons weren't so far off the mark after all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

wilson10 wrote: »
    Speaking of the American view of the Irish and St. Patrick's Day, I live just outside a village with 5 pubs, it had a small Paddy's Day parade, which I attended with the family and went home for lunch.

While we were having lunch "The Simpsons" was on the telly, the St. Patrick's Day version, which I didn't know existed but anyway the Simpsons flew to Ireland and their first stop was O'Flanagan's Pub, and of course upon entering they were met with the sight of 2 red headed guys beating the crap out of each other and I thought, what is it with the Brits and the Yanks, their view of the Irish, drinkin and fightin and that's it.

Some time later, about 5.30 I had to go through the village to the filling station and had to stop on the main street which was blocked by what looked like a film set, a scene from "The Simpsons, St, Patrick's Day, The Movie".

6 Guys, 1 of them waving a bottle, 4 of them beating the heads of one another and another held by 2 guards on the bonnet of the squad car.

And I just thought, yeah maybe the Simpsons weren't so far off the mark after all.

The Simpsons is satirical and plays up stereotypes. In the same way Family Guy & South Park do but perhaps not as crude.

Advertisement