Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Bike I made offer for. CBR1000

• 17-03-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

So looking on Adverts last night cause I want to move up from my 125 marauder. when I see this.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/94cbr1000/2766095

I seen the guy was interested in a cruiser so thought I'd try my luck.
    I must be very lucky cause offer accepted:eek:

So just some advice if anyone can give it to me.
    1: Am I crazy to make such a massive leap in bikes?
    2: Will the insurance rape me? (I won't know for sure till tuesday)
    3: Is it worth getting and just parking up until I am "ready" for it?

some info:
    27, but on learner permit still, biking since november, havent done module 5 yet but can do easily.
    I'm not looking to rip around like a mad ba$£%@, I just really liked the look of this particular bike. Also this is prob the first offer I've made on adverts that I've given a second thought to. (I don't usually make offers on anything unless Im ready to go collect straight away)

Thanks in advance for reading this far

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lp and fireblade?

lol, insurance says no in fairness. not yet

May not be legally able to drive it either depending on your lp type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd get a full licence before thinking about stuff like that.

As for being able for it, that depends on the person. Some people can jump on and ride a sports bike, some people can't. You really have to take it easy when you go from something as slow as a 125 maurader to a litre sports bike

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

kaimera wrote: »
    lp and fireblade?

lol, insurance says no in fairness. not yet

May not be legally able to drive it either depending on your lp type

if I do progression / module 5 I "legally" could ride it. But yeah I'm preparing myself for the massive laughter I'm expecting to hear on the other end of the phone on tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Before even looking at you.

The bike looks like a heap. I wouldn't be trusting it without getting a good mechanic to go over it. I wouldn't buy it in a fit

On to you.

Really doubt you'll get insurance.

From a marauder its about ten times the power. Get yourself a 600. Much friendlyer but so useable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

corkgsxr wrote: »

The bike looks like a heap. I wouldn't be trusting it without getting a good mechanic to go over it. I wouldn't buy it in a fit

On to you.

From a marauder its about ten times the power. Get yourself a 600. Much friendlyer but so useable

Listen to this guy. Truth and experience from his words. +1

Wait a little more and save up some larger bank for something better and more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

To be honest I wouldn't give €50 for that heap.

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Listen to this guy. Truth and experience from his words. +1

Wait a little more and save up some larger bank for something better and more suitable.

Thanks guys.
    Out of pure interest I'll see what the insurance would be on tuesday anyway, But you guys just more or less confirmed what was nagging away in the back of my head anyway. I hate to turn someone down after making an offer but no point buying it if I'm neither ready nor insurable.

Back to my original plans of a Bros I think.

KamiKazi wrote: »

Truth description
    Crashed 3 times, homemade engine, 1 milion miles and last service done back in 1999. A part of that its a minter.

Thanks guys.
    Out of pure interest I'll see what the insurance would be on tuesday anyway, But you guys just more or less confirmed what was nagging away in the back of my head anyway. I hate to turn someone down after making an offer but no point buying it if I'm neither ready nor insurable.

Nice bros or superfour - you have my vote mr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bros are great bikes both the 400 and the 650.
    Bulletproof with a bit of care and nice v twin power.
    as suggested stay away from that blade, it looks like trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd get a full licence before thinking about stuff like that.

As for being able for it, that depends on the person. Some people can jump on and ride a sports bike, some people can't. You really have to take it easy when you go from something as slow as a 125 maurader to a litre sports bike

Now I know we dont really see eye to eye here on this forum.....

BUT

I completely agree with that above........:)

PS-Id also steer clear of that homemade blade banger of a yoke.

Save up a few extra quid and buy an actual propper bike.

Thanks guys.

That "bike" is a piece of junk.

Get your licence sorted out 1st.

Save up for a few more months and go and buy a propper decent motorbike and not some home made banger of a yoke like that thing above.

KamiKazi wrote: »

Calling it a heap is too polite for that yoke....:pac:

No mirrors,and no indicators what-so-ever.

According to the advert...its a 94 reg bike and it only has 4000 miles on it.

Somebody if seriously pulling your chain and trying to dupe you.

Id run a mile away from it.

paddy147 wrote: »

Id run a mile away from it.

I think when the time comes that I'm getting a large bike like this I'll buy a (as said above decent) regular one change the styling myself. that way I know its not a heap. Until then I'll be taking the advice above.

Thanks guys.

appreciate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

corkgsxr wrote: »

On to you.

+1

I'd that thing had spent as much time on its side as it has upright. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I've been on a 600/650 for 4 years and I still don't know if I'd trust myself on a thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

HONDA Should have gone to specsavers DIREBLADE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Same here, on a FZ6 for nearly 2 yrs now and still learning every spin I take. Would still not be ready for a 1000cc bike and certainly not coming from a 125!!!

Hoping on a thou for bragging rights or whatever is not the way to go.....especially coming from a 125cc. Learn the trade 1st man....plenty of poke in a 600cc.

Whatever you do lad....jaysus be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Jaysus that's a homemade death trap if ever I saw one!! :eek: Listen to the advice already given - AVOID, AVOID, AVOID! As for you - baby steps chief, you'll get there eventually. 125 to a 1000 is suicide. The biggest jump I made was from a 600 to a 900 and THAT was a big difference. Bros or Super Four is the way to go for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How is going from 125 to 1000 'suicide' when you can start off on a 1000 now if you want and are over 24? TBH I think small slow bikes ridden at the limit of their capabilities are a lot more dangerous than large bikes ridden at the same speed - and I had to start on small and slow bikes due to the licensing rules at the time. I wouldn't touch that particular bike with a bargepole though, and streetfighters are always a bad buy.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    How is going from 125 to 1000 'suicide' when you can start off on a 1000 now if you want and are over 24? TBH I think small slow bikes ridden at the limit of their capabilities are a lot more dangerous than large bikes ridden at the same speed - and I had to start on small and slow bikes due to the licensing rules at the time. I wouldn't touch that particular bike with a bargepole though, and streetfighters are always a bad buy.

You're saying it's ok to start on a 1000?? Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought the sensible thing to do is start small and get used to a bike and it's controls before you move up bigger. I went from a 400 to a 600 commuter to a 600 sports to a 900. Sensible. I know if I started on a 1000, I'd be dead long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kido Fazer 1

125 to a 1000 is suicide.
    back in the day, from a Superdream 250 to a GSX 1100:D

& a racing wet on the back. Ah, I'd stay clear of that yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Well debated topic. Some people can go straight to big some people will hurt themselves. Obviously it is much better to work up the sizes.

There are alot of lads who ride 1000's and cant corner they just blast between them because they never learned bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're saying it's ok to start on a 1000??

Depends on the rider. Some people will act the dickhead on any size bike.
    Given we have IBT now, and you'd have to be well over the minimum age of 24 to be able to get/afford insurance on a large bike as a novice with no NCB, no I'd have no problem with it if that's what they want to do.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Depends on the rider. Some people will act the dickhead on any size bike.
    Given we have IBT now, and you'd have to be well over the minimum age of 24 to be able to get/afford insurance on a large bike as a novice with no NCB, no I'd have no problem with it if that's what they want to do.

Valid point in fairness.
    back in the day, from a Superdream 250 to a GSX 1100 & a racing wet on the back.

Yeah, but you're a nut-job! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Since we're way off topic now.

I learned on a Sanglas 500, a Yamaha XS400 & XS 500 and have owned everything from 125's to 1100cc and all my really bad crashes/falls were riding the smaller bikes to their limits.

As for the bike in the OP, I like rat bikes but I'd never buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shiver1

would not be the best deal to go for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kido Fazer 1

all my really bad crashes/falls were riding the smaller bikes to their limits.

Aye same here.

There seems to be a common belief among bikers that doesn't match up with how people view car drivers. Some people are better than others at driving cars.. After a week, I knew exactly what i was doing. Not in a cocky way, I was just instantly in much better control of the car than most and that's acceptable. I was young and foolish but controlling the thing was second nature.

But with bikes, the common wisdom is to move up over the course of a couple of years. I know I'm in that bracket myself and wouldn't dare move onto a litre without a few years more exp.. I feel like I could handle it on a commute, quick spin and that's about it. I can throw my cb400 around but I'd drop the back of a litre out at some point if I got one now.

Some people are definitely made for having a big bike very quickly just like every other skill in life. The problem is that to find out if you're made for a litre bike after a 125 is reserved for the very few who try it and the margin for error is tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think the main thing to really consider here is that a smaller bike is very forgiving. You can make a bad mistake on a 125cc and chances are you will get away with it.....a 1000cc sports bike is not made to be forgiving especially for a new in-experienced rider just my 2c.

Advertisement