Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Bike I made offer for. CBR1000

2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Apart from being an absolute pile, Id lay money that bike has frame damage. Its worth about as much as it would cost for petrol and matches to set it on fire.

But you know that already. If you are going to move up in cc at least find a bike that isn't going to handle like a crooked farm gate. Know what you are buying, or get the help of someone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Thanks lads,

I'm going with either get a Bros or cb250 and hold off on module 5, or do my module 5 and get a fazer or diversion 650.

The more I look at the bike the worse it looks. . .

Out of pure interest I called the insurance company, they said an extra 850 for the year . Not at all what I was expecting.

Oh and my Gf seen the bike and asked why it had garden lamps on the front of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I think the main thing to really consider here is that a smaller bike is very forgiving.

Wouldn't agree. My first bike was a 100cc, it had crap lights, inaudible horn, tiny and crap tyres and brakes that gave about as much feel as squeezing a plank with a pliers. Sure, I was unlikely to crash it due to an excess of power, but I found many other ways to crash it.

Top tip: the throttle works both ways, and it's a dimmer switch not an on-off switch.
    Just because a bike develops say 120hp it doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, or ever. People are describing crashing due to a lack of skill when what they really mean is running out of skill due to lack of judgement :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You have already read what everyone else has to say and made the right decision.

Under no circumstances buy that appalling lash-up no matter what you want from life. The bike is not a Fireblade, it is a crashed and badly repaired CBR1000F - a heavy sports-tourer with 1980's handling and engine dynamics. Even perfect, they are ponderous and heavy - I doubt that one has had fresh fork oil or a shock rebuild since it left Tokyo and it will handle like a diesel barge as a result.

Moving from a 125 marauder to a CBR1000F isn't the maddest thing in the world - they are a capable commuter and a brilliant all-rounder if you can't afford a Blackbird. If you are 5'10 or over you'll manage one no bother and while there is acres of torque you will struggle to get it to misbehave unless you are really ham-fisted.

For €1100 you'll find a well looked after CBR1000F, possibly with a topbox or panniers and provided its been serviced it'll last forever. The engines are virtually unbreakable and the seat is designed for crossing France in comfort.

'c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You have already read what everyone else has to say and made the right decision.

Under no circumstances buy that appalling lash-up no matter what you want from life. The bike is not a Fireblade, it is a crashed and badly repaired CBR1000F - a heavy sports-tourer with 1980's handling and engine dynamics. Even perfect, they are ponderous and heavy - I doubt that one has had fresh fork oil or a shock rebuild since it left Tokyo and it will handle like a diesel barge as a result.

Moving from a 125 marauder to a CBR1000F isn't the maddest thing in the world - they are a capable commuter and a brilliant all-rounder if you can't afford a Blackbird. If you are 5'10 or over you'll manage one no bother and while there is acres of torque you will struggle to get it to misbehave unless you are really ham-fisted.

For €1100 you'll find a well looked after CBR1000F, possibly with a topbox or panniers and provided its been serviced it'll last forever. The engines are virtually unbreakable and the seat is designed for crossing France in comfort.

'c

The seller PMed me with some very intersting reasones (or excuses??;)) about that bike and its condition and eh..."Milage".

All I will say is.......:eek::confused::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement