Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glaze for hot cross buns?

Options
  • 17-03-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I love making hot cross buns, but am struggling to find a good glaze recipe.

The one that is part of the recipe i use is a milk & sugar glaze. That seemed ok, but maybe i didn't boil it long enough?

I tried today a water and sugar glaze. The recipe said boil for 5min. If i'd boiled it for 5 min there would have been nothing left and i hadn't even finished brushing it over the tops of the buns before it was crystilsing. Plus when you toast the buns, you end up with literally sugar on top that hurts like *#%! if you accidentally touch it.

So any suggestions for a good glaze?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved to Cake & Pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Apricot jam heated in a pan and brush it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

equal amounts of sugar and water, I use 450g sugar and 600ml cold water. dissolve the sugar slowly over low heat, then boil for two mins, no longer. this won't harden on buns, this stock syrup/bun wash will keep well in fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Elottois

Second the apricot jam suggestion, it works wonderfully as a glaze. Bonne Maman have a lovely apricot jam in their range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love Bonne Maman jam too. Dunnes have it for €2.99 at the moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

I made some last night and heated some golden syrup with a bit of water and brushed it over the hot cross buns when they came out of the oven, was delicious!

Advertisement