Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday Hours

Options
  • 17-03-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

Can your employer send you home early on a bank holiday? We get double time for bank holidays but have been informed that we will be finishing early tomorrow to reduce costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes they can. Are you full time or part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I'm part time but I work enough hours to qualify for bank holiday entitlements and I always work 8 hours on a Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I'm part time but I work enough hours to qualify for bank holiday entitlements and I always work 8 hours on a Monday.
    Monday isn't a public holiday! Sunday is the public holiday. Some employers will give Monday as a day in lieu of the public holiday but they don't have to. They can give an extra day's annual leave or they can give paid time off in the next 4 weeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Little Ted wrote: »
    Monday isn't a public holiday! Sunday is the public holiday. Some employers will give Monday as a day in lieu of the public holiday but they don't have to. They can give an extra day's annual leave or they can give paid time off in the next 4 weeks.

Don't think you are right there LT :)

If a public holiday falls on a weekend day then by default the next "working" day as in the next bank working day is treated as the relevant public holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Stheno wrote: »

Don't think you are right there LT :)

If a public holiday falls on a weekend day then by default the next "working" day as in the next bank working day is treated as the relevant public holiday
    Actually there is no legal entitlement to the next working day off. See here (note the section about when the public holiday falls on a weekend)
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I have since discovered that as pointed out above Monday wasn't a bank holiday! My employer still insists it was though. The people who actually worked on Sunday for normal pay are not impressed! I'll happily take my double pay for Monday though :D

Advertisement