Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiled Bones?

• 17-03-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭

Just wondering what the general consensus is on giving boiled chicken bones to the dogs? I boiled up some chicken thighs to make homemade soup today and have the bones leftover. Are they safe to give? The dogs are fed a raw diet so they're used to getting bones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Rommie wrote: »
    Just wondering what the general consensus is on giving boiled chicken bones to the dogs? I boiled up some chicken thighs to make homemade soup today and have the bones leftover. Are they safe to give? The dogs are fed a raw diet so they're used to getting bones

No! Cooked bones are really really dangerous, particularly chicken bones as they can splinter inside the dog and perforate the intestinal wall passing through.
    Throw them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Okay, thought it was just roasted ones that were like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

If you have a meat grinder you could fire them through that & give it to them then, I did that with our guys but just be sure it is minced v. Small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

No! Cooked bones are really really dangerous, particularly chicken bones as they can splinter inside the dog and perforate the intestinal wall passing through.
    Throw them out!

+100

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

I personally never give bones to dogs... my experiences with dogs and bones are:
    as a child, my first dog nearly died from salmonella from a bone he was given, My grandmothers dog, i remember getting a bone lodged in his throat (he was ok after a neighbour reached down and saved him) and my aunts dog needed surgery to unblock her dogs intestine from a bone he ate.
    so personally i would recommend that no one use them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Renno123 wrote: »
    My grandmothers dog, i remember getting a bone lodged in his throat (he was ok after a neighbour reached down and saved him) and my aunts dog needed surgery to unblock her dogs intestine from a bone he ate.

Thing is I know dogs who have gotten tennis balls lodged in their throats, their throats damaged by sticks getting jammed in them, a dog needing surgery for eating wood and a splinter piercing their stomach, a dog dying from eating stones and them blocking her guts, a different dog with a dog toy blocking their guts, a dog contracting a fatal bacterial infection from swimming in a lake and a dog choking on dried dog food.

I feed raw bones and am not going to stop any time soon as there is no more risk from a dog eating bones as there is from a dog doing most things in their life, limit risks where possible but other than spoonfeeding soft food to your dog while they live in a bubble there's no way of making sure they're safe from anything they put in their mouths

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Thing is I know dogs who have gotten tennis balls lodged in their throats, their throats damaged by sticks getting jammed in them, a dog needing surgery for eating wood and a splinter piercing their stomach, a dog dying from eating stones and them blocking her guts, a different dog with a dog toy blocking their guts, a dog contracting a fatal bacterial infection from swimming in a lake and a dog choking on dried dog food.

I feed raw bones and am not going to stop any time soon as there is no more risk from a dog eating bones as there is from a dog doing most things in their life, limit risks where possible but other than spoonfeeding soft food to your dog while they live in a bubble there's no way of making sure they're safe from anything they put in their mouths

that's true, but i'm just giving my reasons for not using them. ive had one too many bad experience feeding raw bones.
    If someone uses them i would strongly recommend not using chicken bones as they are weaker.
    people do use them successfully, I haven't been as lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

that's true, but i'm just giving my reasons for not using them. ive had one too many bad experience feeding raw bones.
    If someone uses them i would strongly recommend not using chicken bones as they are weaker.

Thats the whole point of using chicken bones - they're soft and easy for the dog to chew up! My dog gets them everyday and no problems. Personally any stories I've ever heard about dogs having problems with bones have all been down to them getting cooked bones - the bone from the sunday roast, a rib from the Chinese etc etc The only incident I've had with a raw bone is stabbing myself in the finger yesterday when I was bagging up chicken backs for my guy's meals for the next few weeks. :( :rolleyes: (it really hurts lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My lad eats chicken bones every day, crunches through them nary a bother, which is why I feed them, they're soft and easy to digest.

Advertisement